Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Remains worthwhile? It's one of my all time favourites.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Remains worthwhile? It's one of my all time favourites.

Yes, but it isn't topical anymore.

marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't think no longer topical has any sway on great movies. The Lives of Others e.g. hit the screen well after the Berlin wall was taken down.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I cannot think of a great movie that is great because it is topical. And Ashes and Diamonds is a great movie. Though I prefer one of the other films in Wajda's trilogy, Kanal.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
A good film does look even better if it is topical. BTW I did not care much for Lives of Others. I promised myself that I shall see it again, but never got around to doing it.

gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
After the failed experiment of one hour episodes in Season 4, it's nice to see The Twilight Zone bounce back strong to start Season 5.
The first episode In Praise of Pip is fine, if fairly standard TZ material. Another Jack Klugman performance.

Then there's the classic Steel, in which Lee Marvin desperately takes the place of his robot fighter. Great story and execution. The Simpsons even swiped this idea for an episode.
Followed by Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, where Shatner is confronted by a gremlin. Another fine idea which plays out well.
A Kind of a Stopwatch basically combines S1's Time Enough at Last with S2's A Penny for Your Thoughts (Dick York and the coin that stands on edge). Maybe because they both took place in a bank someone thought about melding them into another episode.
The Last Night of a Jockey is another standard solid TZ, and a showcase for Mickey Rooney, the only actor in the show.
And then another classic with Telly Savales terrorized by a toy in Living Doll. Another TZ swiped and parodied by the Simpsons, in a Halloween special. I always liked the Simpsons resolution where a repairman checks and notices that the doll was set to Evil and merely clicks the switch to Nice.

So TZ bounces back in the first half dozen episodes of S5 with 3 solid efforts and 3 classics. I don't expect this batting average to hold up for the remaining 30 episodes, but it's a welcome relief after the mediocrity of S4.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
I mentioned NA20KF over in tv/alt. when I tried to move this chat over there. (I'm willing to consider them short films, if that works better for you) It's also parodied by the Simpsons, "Nightmare at 5 1/2 Ft.," with the terror happening on the school bus and the gremlin being an AMC Gremlin cruising alongside.

The robot plots, all through the series, swing widely in quality - recently watched "Uncle Simon," which is almost unbearably silly.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A Kind of a Stopwatch basically combines S1's Time Enough at Last with S2's A Penny for Your Thoughts (Dick York and the coin that stands on edge). Maybe because they both took place in a bank someone thought about melding them into another episode.

"Stopwatch" is one of my favorite Zone episodes. The earlier one with Dick York, and the romantic subplot with the secretary, was a prototype for the Mel Gibson movie. You know the one I mean.

"Living Doll" is funny, partly due to the modern gloss we viewers put on it now.
gromit
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Just picked up The Complete Underdog cartoon series (3 seasons) and the Complete All in the Family. 9 seasons of AintheF is almost certainly more than I need, but it's such a classic show, and Archie Bunker such a perfectly realized character (with good support).

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The Couch forum has turned into a DVD version of the TV forum. What to do???
Melody
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
There's no need to fear -- UNDERDOG is here! Hands down my favorite cartoon series. Not to mention (well, I've mentioned it before, actually) that Simon Bar Sinister is Marty Scorsese's doppelganger.

Sorry for continuing the TV discussion in Couch.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes Underdog was a great cartoon series. Our neighbour who was a 5 year old boy used to run down the sidewalk wearing a cape (a sheet around his neck) calling out, "I'm Underdog!"
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
Yes Underdog was a great cartoon series. Our neighbour who was a 5 year old boy used to run down the sidewalk wearing a cape (a sheet around his neck) calling out, "I'm Underdog!"
That was me.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:
That was me.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I didn't know that. I guess it was you, who at age 5, also asked my ex, "Why do there be bugs?"
gromit
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
There's no need to fear -- UNDERDOG is here! Hands down my favorite cartoon series. Not to mention (well, I've mentioned it before, actually) that Simon Bar Sinister is Marty Scorsese's doppelganger.

Marty? Funny.
I was wondering who SBS was based on.
According to wiki: "based on the voice and looks of Lionel Barrymore"

I think I prefer Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Foghorn Leghorn, and Rocky & Bullwinkle. But Underdog throws me back to staying from home school sick and watching TV all day. I guess they had it on late morn/early afternoon for the preschool set. Underdog has a simple but effective drawing style, a goofy self-effacing manner, and has fun playing off/parodying Superman and the hero genre.

Go Go Gophers with the two goofy Injuns who constantly outsmart the TR-Colonel is a weirder entity. I'm kind of amused by Commander McBragg. Everything is broken down into short bits, and the intros often seem almost as long as the actual episodes. It has a distinct time-waste variety show vibe, but is fun.