Earl wrote:
"Every one who drinks is not a poet. Some of us drink because we're not poets."

I like that line.

Me, too.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I'll put in another vote for "Dr. Horrible," as well as for the original "Arthur." I was always a fan of Dudley Moore, and there were moments in that film that really cracked me up. The sequel was a bore because he had sobered up--a morally unfortunate (but predictable) situation.

I intentionally never watched the sequel.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
As the wonderful drunk, W.C. Fields said, "I never drink water, fish fuck in it." Of course they cleaned it up to say "fornicate".
bartist
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Watched the 1997 Japanese thriller, "Benjo Wa Doko Desu-ka?" last night. Interesting bits of hommage to the classical noir tradition: the parrot that "witnessed" the bathroom attendant's murder (VO by Paul Giamatti, with a tone that wanders between sarcasm and whiny mournfulness) seems to know only English phrases like "looks like he dropped the dime" and "this town ain't big enough for both of us," or "put down the cracker and back away" -- also several shots where the private investigator is holding the bird and caressing it -- clearly an attempt to resonate with The Maltese Falcon. The caresses eventually turn to abuse, as the PI, played by Kendo Noritake, grows frustrated with the bird's inability to describe the killer. The parrot, in turn, begins to pluck its own feathers and respond to all heated inquiries with, "That's what SHE said!" Other noirish tropes are deployed with somewhat less finesse -- a deceiving woman with a Hello Kitty tattoo on her cheek, a fedora-wearing man who watches from a doorway while fondling a pillow named Betty, and an inexplicable scene where Noritake follows a pajama-clad hippie to a convenience store and watches him purchase milk. May be worth watching for the emotional payoff at the end, when the parrot is returned to the pet store, stone dead.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
And then John Cleese walks in.....
Shane
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Watched the 1997 Japanese thriller, "Benjo Wa Doko Desu-ka?" last night. Interesting bits of hommage to the classical noir tradition: the parrot that "witnessed" the bathroom attendant's murder (VO by Paul Giamatti, with a tone that wanders between sarcasm and whiny mournfulness) seems to know only English phrases like "looks like he dropped the dime" and "this town ain't big enough for both of us," or "put down the cracker and back away" -- also several shots where the private investigator is holding the bird and caressing it -- clearly an attempt to resonate with The Maltese Falcon. The caresses eventually turn to abuse, as the PI, played by Kendo Noritake, grows frustrated with the bird's inability to describe the killer. The parrot, in turn, begins to pluck its own feathers and respond to all heated inquiries with, "That's what SHE said!" Other noirish tropes are deployed with somewhat less finesse -- a deceiving woman with a Hello Kitty tattoo on her cheek, a fedora-wearing man who watches from a doorway while fondling a pillow named Betty, and an inexplicable scene where Noritake follows a pajama-clad hippie to a convenience store and watches him purchase milk. May be worth watching for the emotional payoff at the end, when the parrot is returned to the pet store, stone dead.

I can't find a IMDB listing either by PG or the copy/paste of the name at the tope of your review can you give me some help here on the english name or something listed somewhere?

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing it at a local arthouse when I was living in Likapeekapeepee, Michigan -- and they had translated it as "Free Bird." A translator website gives the title literally as "Where is the restroom?" Hope that helps.

I didn't understand the part where the woman with the neon cigaret holder is feeding the parrot french fries and trying to teach it the St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V. It finally screams "Cry Havoc!" and bites her. Just seems like they stuck it in there for no reason. An inscrutable film.
Shane
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
knox wrote:
I remember seeing it at a local arthouse when I was living in Likapeekapeepee, Michigan -- and they had translated it as "Free Bird." A translator website gives the title literally as "Where is the restroom?" Hope that helps.

I didn't understand the part where the woman with the neon cigaret holder is feeding the parrot french fries and trying to teach it the St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V. It finally screams "Cry Havoc!" and bites her. Just seems like they stuck it in there for no reason. An inscrutable film.

All the more reason to see it, thanks Knox!!

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
Shane wrote:
knox wrote:

Just tried all of the above with variations and....nothing!

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Shane wrote:
Shane wrote:
knox wrote:

Just tried all of the above with variations and....nothing!
Perhaps you should have checked your calendar....

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked The Secret in their Eyes, in spite of the unlikely twist. For me, it was a tale not to be taken too literally. IOW, more allegorical in its look at the retribution and obsession themes. (finally saw the second half this weekend) I would agree with Knox and Gromit partially, re the dumbness, which was evident in the romantic sidebar.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote

Watching 127 Hours is a wonderful experience, a tribute to Danny Boyle and James Franco.

bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
Seems to be the consensus. It's in Redbox this week, I noticed. Might have a look.

Completing my scholarly study of the Winger oeuvre, I happened to catch "Betrayed" the other night, which is loosely based on the murder of Alan Berg by a white supremacist group. With a strong cast (John Heard, Tom Berenger, the Winger, and a young Ted Levine who is somehow more chilling as a racist sociopath than he was as buffalo bill), and some surprisingly good photography, it manages to give you some moments that may haunt you for a while. Winger is great, still a few years away from her mommy-hiatus, and really captures the wretched internal struggle between her role as an undercover FBI agent and a woman who begins to fall in love with one of the rural bigots who is suspected of involvement in the murder.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Last night, BBC America actually showed a British film, at midnight of course. I was/am catching a cold, or maybe just having an intense onset of hay fever, but I couldn't sleep, and it was good to have something to watch. The film was "Death at a Funeral," which was remade here with a black cast; I never saw either one, but I'd read the original reviews for the English one and they were pretty good.

The only actors I'd heard of in the fairly large cast (friends and relatives of the deceased) were Jane Asher, Rupert Graves, and Peter Dinklage. But it was very funny, one of those cool English farces in which a proper solemn occasion gets knocked out of whack by various overlapping incidents, including the accidental ingestion of LSD pills from a Valium bottle and blackmail with compromising photographs and the effort to hide a body in the already occupied coffin. And a good time was had by all. Now I'd rather like to see the American version.
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
God I love DAAF (the original) -- "Firefly" fans have to see it for Alan Tudyk on acid, of course. I think Dinklage is in the American remake (in the same role, obviously), the rest of the cast mostly African-American. I wasn't sure the original concept, aided by the context of British culture and the particular ways it prizes formality and restraint and not making a fuss, could survive intact in the remake, but I'd be interested in what direction they did go with it.