Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
New page!!!!

Lorne is it possible to fix this?
Earl
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
New page!!!!

Lorne is it possible to fix this?

Lorne - Please do not "fix this." I like the fact that a new page starts every so often.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
I think he means the "no postings" message you get when you click on a new page, making you go back and click on the previous page to see the latest post. There shouldn't be a new page to click on until someone has actually posted on it.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I think he means the "no postings" message you get when you click on a new page, making you go back and click on the previous page to see the latest post. There shouldn't be a new page to click on until someone has actually posted on it.

I knew. I was just having a bit of fun with his phrasing.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if you're stilll reading, Earl. But I wondered if you got a new computer, yet.

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Don't know if you're stilll reading, Earl. But I wondered if you got a new computer, yet.

Not yet, but soon. I'm waiting for my IRS refund to arrive in a few weeks and then I'll get one.

In the meantime, I check in here with my phone. But I type very slowly on it which is why my already infrequent appearances here have become even less frequent.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Considering how slowly I type even a text message on my phone, I understand your frustration.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
When I'm not on a work PC, I can only access the net with my Kindle, which has a decent web browser if you turn off graphics. It's basically a thumb-driven keyboard, and my thumbs are pretty slow. I think you have to be under 30 to have fast thumbs.

Earl -- d'oh. I wasn't sure if the strange noises coming from my new neighbor (other side of a thin duplex wall) were causing me significant sleep deprivation, but I'm sure of it now.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
My Kindle doesn't have a web browser. You must have a later model.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
I think they've had WiFi for a couple years, and then added 3G models in 2010. The browser is activated by clicking on "Experimental" on my top menu, which is I think their way of saying "don't expect this to be real great." But if you turn off graphics, it ain't bad. Or, on some pages, you can also turn off Java, and then it's greased lightning.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes, mine has WiFi, and I can go to the Kindle store. But that's it.

-Topher
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
The Art of the Steal is one of the better documentaries of 2009. It presents the battle surrounding the Barnes Art Foundation, which has one of the world's best collections of post-impressionist paintings, and the attempts of powers that be in Philadelphia to move it closer to the city for commercial reasons. It is at this time located in a suburb of Philadelphia. The move is contrary to the will of Dr Barnes. The documentary takes the side of those who want to keep it at its present site.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
I watched the 1969 movie of Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man. I was surprised to find, before watching it, that it's apparently considered a terrible movie. The surprise comes from the fact that it's been perennially available on VHS and now on DVD. Usually movies don't consistently turn up in video stores and home viewing releases over the decades unless a number of people are watching. I assumed it was a kind of classic (at least a popular draw like Creature From the Black Lagoon or The Time Machine: the kind of movie critics don't love but audiences do). But other than a high school teacher/principal of mine who thought it had some neat ideas, I've never known anyone to mention it.

The movie is interesting because somehow it works in spite of enormous faults. Like terrible attempts to imagine how people will dress/live in the future, a really big mistake in having the same actors perform in all the stories and some essentially incomprehensible moments in the framing story. Yet it is very good at establishing an eerie, pervasive atmosphere, and some of the scenes between Rod Steiger as the title character and Robert Drivas as the cross-country traveler who crosses his path are good. And setting the frame story in the Depression to contrast with the stories which are all set in the future is a really clever idea. The scenes between Steiger and Claire Bloom (in the last year of their marriage) as the woman who put the illustrations on him are also good. The individual stories work better as concepts than in their execution.

I wouldn't call it a good movie, and I'm not surprised it's disliked by both Bradbury fans and Bradbury himself. Rod Serling didn't like it, either, which strikes me as a little odd because it has the feel of a number of Twilight Zone episode--the ones you like even though you're not sure what's going on and not really sure the people making the episode knew what was going on, either. Somehow they were often more effective than the fully worked out and explicable ones.

I liked it.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
I never saw The Illustrated Man. For some reason I had no interest. I did see Creature from The Black Lagoon. Took a streetcar uptown to see it one evening because my cousin told me that his father saw it and thought it was great. I was 13. It stunk. I was bored silly and pissed off all the way home on the streetcar. The Time Machine (original) got favourable reviews in my part of the world. A very well done sci fi adventure. Enjoyed it thoroughly. I saw the remake and it apparently was closer to the Wells story than the original and it wasn't nearly as good as the original. The depiction of the Eloi was dull and drab and annoying. I didn't care if the Morlochs ate them or not. Of course it didn't have Yvette Mimieux.
Syd
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Invincible is a 2001 film about a Polish Jewish blacksmith (Jouka Ahola as Zishe Breitbart) who becomes a strongman for a cabaret of the occult in Berlin. This is taking place in 1932 as it's becoming apparent that the Nazis are the party of the future and the mentalist (Tim Roth as Hanussen) is catering to the Nazis in hopes to become the Minister of the Occult in their cabinet. Since Zishe is Jewish, he has to pretend he's Aryan and dawns a wild blond wig and is called Siegfried. Once he reveals he is Jewish, he becomes Samson, attracting crowds of Jews and Nazis alike, which as you can imagine is not a healthy combination. Marta Farra plays the beautiful pianist who Hanussan abuses and Zishe dreams of and protects. Eventually Zishe becomes a true prophet in the wake of the false Hanussen, but the prophet he becomes is Cassandra.

This minor incident in history has become a minor Werner Herzog film. (The story that inspired it is even more minor since it took place in 1925 and had nothing to do with the Nazis.) The performances are curiously soft-spoken so the impact of the film is muted when it really needs to be flamboyant. The strongman feats here aren't the sort of thing that would produce a legend. The feats performed by the real Zishe Breitbart were truly spectacular and are barely hinted at here. He also toured in both Europe and America and became an American Citizen.

In fact, the real story of Zishe Breitbart might make a decent movie and I hope someone makes it some day.

Hanussen was also a real person, and the story of his Palace of the Occult, his ambitions and murder is more or less true if you ignore the intrusion of Zishe and Marta.

Last edited by Syd on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total