Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

knox
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Good spellers are so easy to amuse. Gregory Corseau is my favorite Beat, but I never had the pleasure of meeting him or any of the others. I did see Al - er, Mr. Ginsberg - in Columbia, Missouri in the 70s, getting a crowd of people all "OM"-ing together. There was a good energy there. I did run into Brad Pitt a few times when he was a teenager, living in Springfield, MO, which is his hometown. He had no memorable quality at that time, and I doubt anyone thought he was going to amount to much.

I think I've out-lamed Whiskeypriest.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Corso is my favorite beat, too. By a long shot.

-Topher
knox
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
It was wonderful, how he discovered that his mother was still alive and finally met up with her and made a connection late in his life. Haven't seen the documentary about that search, but I'll bet it's worth checking out.
Given his early life, I think of him as the most truly "beat" of the Beats. And the natural rhythms and language of his poetry really stood out, for me.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
BW: I knew that didn't look right. LOL. Corso was the real deal, living on the street at an early age, and paid close attention to the rhythms of human life. He'd be my favorite in the Beat "inner circle" -- among the outer circle, Bukowski all the way.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Jack Kerouac grew up in Lowell, MA......the setting for The Fighter.

Quote:
BEFADE: I AM A CAT LOVER. Vincent, my avatar, is the famous dog who pops in and out of the jungle, sometimes having retrieved strange objects, on the series, "Lost." Chess with Dave Brubeck is really cool -- I'd actually trade a couple of Beat encounters for one chess match and chat with Brubeck.

That explains it: I never got lost.

I'll connect you with my ex-husband, Bart........I think that was a true event in his life as a teenager.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I know someone, and I have no reson to doubt him, who has jammed with Pat Cash and played tennis with Mick Jagger. This is not to be sneered at, but I'd have been more impressed if it had been the other way around.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
knox wrote:
I think I've out-lamed Whiskeypriest.
If such a thing is possible....

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
knox wrote:
Good spellers are so easy to amuse. Gregory Corseau....

Laughing
bartist
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Watched "Salt" last night (digging the notion that a sequel, concerning nukes and evil Russian ops, would have to be: SALT II) and enjoyed hugely. I'm developing some respect the for the Jolie as having some real action/drama chops. You sort of know where it's going with the double agent maybe-going-triple thing, but it's a fun ride getting there and has a smart and stylish way of making the implausible seem all in a day's work for a covert op. It was sort of weird that Andre Braugher got his name on the DVD box cover, but had maybe two lines.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
Agree about Salt. Think it's very underrated, as is Jolie in the title role.
gromit
Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the original True Grit.
The story of a little girl who knows her rights and controls her finances. It's quite good, with a big speaking role for Wayne, though Glen Campbell is a weak leak. The writing shines through. I especially like the constant references to the lawyer, J. Noble Daggitt, which throws everyone for a loop.
The only thing bad is that half of the film has a rather flat 70's Disney movie look/feel to it (even if it was 1969). Anyway, pretty enjoyable, and I'll be interested to compare it to the Coen remake, when that shows up here.

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Enjoyed the original True Grit.
The story of a little girl who knows her rights and controls her finances. It's quite good, with a big speaking role for Wayne, though Glen Campbell is a weak leak. The writing shines through. I especially like the constant references to the lawyer, J. Noble Daggitt, which throws everyone for a loop.
The only thing bad is that half of the film has a rather flat 70's Disney movie look/feel to it (even if it was 1969). Anyway, pretty enjoyable, and I'll be interested to compare it to the Coen remake, when that shows up here.

The original True Grit is showing on AMC tonight. I've TiVo'd it and plan to watch.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
Finally caught Definitely Maybe -- thanks for rec'ing it, BWeed. Follows much of the Harry Met Sally game plan, updated to the Clinton era and with a stronger attachment to specific places in NYC, which anchored it nicely. Wonderful performances by all, and how great is Isla Fisher?

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
...and how great is Isla Fisher?

Pretty darn great.
jeremy
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Home alone, not the film, me. Patricia and the girls are in Wellington. Amongst other things mum wants to have a peek at where daughter no. 1 might go to university. Which brings two thoughts to the fore: the banal, but true, 'where does all the time go'; and 'women', fledging offspring fills them and drains them at the same time.

So, how am I using all this rare free-time: poker night; raid the video store for all those movies that aren't to Patricia's taste; ramp up the stereo (do people still call them that); two hooker-bots and some high grade robot oil? None of the above, and I must be getting old, I'm at home eating a cheese and pickle sandwich, drinking an inexpensive, but passable sparkling wine and writing this rambling missive.

I am also watching Two Weeks Notice . The film is a production line romcom and vehicle for its two amiable stars, Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant. It's nothing to write long rambling missives about, but for me, it shows both Grant and Bullock at their best. In particular, the part suits Bullock. She seems more real here than in many other of her films, where she or the writing can sometimes seem to be trying too hard. Maybe Grant was a good foil.

Also I am struck by her attractiveness. She is no classical beauty, but in the right environs, lighting and lingerie,she has something, she might even have 'it'. I am trying to work out why she is sexier than those with more obvious charms, the Jessica Albas of this world. I think it maybe because she comes across as loverly, inducing of wist; fun to be with, a keeper, good wife material.

Too much champagne and not enough company?

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.