Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Billy Wilder alert: One, Two, Three is on TCM in 20 minutes.

I will be there.

Tried it and remembered what it is I don't particularly like about it. It's too fast, too furious, too unrelaxed to be truly funny. No one seems very comfortable doing it. Not a favorite of mine.
I'd agree with that: I've never found frenetic to be funny. But it does have Billy Wilder, Prophet, in it: the Stasi breaking down Piffl by using Rock and Roll to force a confession.... and Cagney remarking it makes you wonder about all those other confessions. And indeed it does.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
I think One, Two, Three is a dumb, unfunny, unoriginal movie with some of the lamest "sex" jokes ever. "Never saw a green one and a red one before!" as one of the lines has it, or something like that. A few levels below Playboy Party Jokes. Horst is hot in a supporting role, but I'd rather download a still than sit through that movie again.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Joe--It's rare that I'll stop watching a movie before it's over. (As you've seen) But I think I didn't sit through all of One, Two, Three. And my first viewing was on TeeVee.

It's almost as though I have so much respect for Cagney, that I feel I have to see all of his films at least once.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Coen Brothers' Miller's Crssing is a good spoof on gangster movies, but it does not compare well with their best in the humor department.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Joe--It's rare that I'll stop watching a movie before it's over. (As you've seen) But I think I didn't sit through all of One, Two, Three. And my first viewing was on TeeVee.

It's almost as though I have so much respect for Cagney, that I feel I have to see all of his films at least once.

I can relate to that. And after all, I watched the movie myself.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Coen Brothers' Miller's Crssing is a good spoof on gangster movies, but it does not compare well with their best in the humor department.

Miller's Crossing is not meant to be funny in the slightest. I admire it enormously but can't say I really enjoy it. The one sequence that combines art with entertainment is the "Danny Boy" scene; it's amazing. The rest is a little too self-satisfied for my complete taste.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Joe Vitus wrote:
I think One, Two, Three is a dumb, unfunny, unoriginal movie with some of the lamest "sex" jokes ever. "Never saw a green one and a red one before!" as one of the lines has it, or something like that. A few levels below Playboy Party Jokes. Horst is hot in a supporting role, but I'd rather download a still than sit through that movie again.
Ah, yes. Horst Buchholz. The German Zbigniew Cybulski.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Re Miller's Crossing: Forgot to mention that Gabriel Byrne is at his dullest in this movie. He's come a long, long way in the meantime. The charismatic Byrne of In Treatment might as well be a different actor. Even Marcia Gay Harden isn't that great. The actors who nail M'sC are John Turturro, Albert Finney, and Jon Polito. They are terrific. But the visuals and the overall vibe are most impressive throughout.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
I agree Gabriel Byrne was unimpressive in MC. John Turturro was excellent.
Marj
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Saw an intriguing documentary last night. Possibly intriguing to me because for some reason the story had escaped my attention. It is called The Jazz Baroness and it is about the relationship, more of a close friendship by all accounts, between Thelonious Monk and Nico Rothschild.

The doc, made and well researched by Nico's niece, gives a good background on both people. It includes interviews by Sonny Rollins, Monk's son and relatives of Nico's. Problem is, it is not on Netflix and it's now owned by HBO. Nonetheless it's a well made and engrossing documentary.
Marj
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
More details on The Jazz Baroness:

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/jazzbaroness/index.html

Now this time it worked. Holy Moly! Will wonders never cease.
gromit
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see that doc. Heard a bit about it.
Always thought that was very interesting, Baroness Nico Rothschild assisting jazz musicians in New Jersey (She took in Monk, but also aided others).
================================
As for links, you just need to paste a URL into your message and the link will work.
URL tags are only if you want to highlight some text as the link. Then you add an equal sign after the first URL tag and put in the URL after the = sign and before the closing bracket.

[url=******] and then [/url]
In this case, the text "and then" would be highlighted as a link for url ******.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Two excellent genre flicks are The Lineup (crime/noirish) and The Tall T (Randolph Scott Western). Both are lean and mean, one (Lineup) directed by the always reliable Don Siegel and the other by cult hero Budd Boetticher. Siegel sets up shots masterfully and Boetticher has marvelous control over actors and music. The plots are straightforward and simple and told with impressive economy. Highly recommended, both.
gromit
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
I reviewed The Lineup two weeks back.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
gromit--Just reread your review and don't know what the fourth (or first) drug mule was. There was the steamroom guy, the houseboy, and the mother-daughter. Who was the other you're talking about? (Not the cabdriver, he wasn't a mule.)

The plot device is identical to that in Wait Until Dark.

Eli Wallach and Robert Keith (father of Brian) are expert as the two leading baddies.

It was also a Don Siegel test run for the likewise San Francisco-centered Dirty Harry.

There's a highly entertaining commentary track on the DVD by James Ellroy and a film noir historian. Ellroy's salty language is a commentary first for me. Profanity abounds, and hilariously so. Also political incorrectness. Ellroy is decidedly a "character."