Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Marj
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
Jeremy,

I think you took it more seriously than I did. In fact a lot of it is good old fashioned screwball comedy! And there is a good reason it doesn't seem so menacing. But let's not give that away.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
I feel the same way about Lucky Number Sleven as you do, Marj. I gave it a rave when I saw it, and I think I wrote a review. I expected to enjoy it, but it was a lot better than I even expected.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Marc wrote:
PICCADILLY (1929)

I agree wholeheartedly that Wong's career was stunted by the rascism she faced, especially in Hollywood. The cover (from the Austrian poster), however, isn't an example of that; it reflects what was going on in art, especially European art, between the world wars (at least partially a reflection of Weimar Germany). While she never shows up topless in the film, there are plently of contemporary caucasian actresses who are depicted in posters just as fictionally topless, including Marlene Dietrich (poster for Blonde Venus). There are a number of posters from precode films on this side of the pond with the same sort of depictions.

To a certain degree it could be considered a complement; Anna May Wong was being treated the same way as other actresses in similar productions. It's not clear that she found this an insult, either; my understanding is that she may have done some minor nude photography, although I've never seen any proof.

To a certain degree, Wong's career parallels Louise Brooks'; Brooks' nonconformity (even among nonconformists) had the same effect as Wong's race. At least Wong didn't burn all her bridges, and eventually returned to Hollywood to have the second-tier career (what a waste).

And I really love Bertolucci, so I'll have to check out The Conformist.

Marj
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I feel the same way about Lucky Number Sleven as you do, Marj. I gave it a rave when I saw it, and I think I wrote a review. I expected to enjoy it, but it was a lot better than I even expected.

Gary -- Do you have any idea where it is? I'd love to read it.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll check. I'm not even sure I reviewed it but I know I posted about it.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, Marj, now I know why I couldn't remember if I wrote a review of it or not:

Quote:
marantzo wrote:
I posted this review, mistakenly, in the Lobby. Because of the groundswell of compliments on its insightfulness and comprehensive analysis of the underlying cinematic ethos of the film, I figured that I'd better post it here in case some of the Current Filmers don't visit the Lobby.

I liked Lucky Number Slevin very much.

I think it more properly belongs in the newly re-activated Review Forum.

The bolded part at the end was a comment made by Jeremy.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Marantz,

As we're in the process of re-hashing old reviews, below is one review I wrote fresh from the film. However, in the cold light of day, I suspect I was too forgiving.

Quote:
I’ve just seen Lucky Number Slevin, which is easily the best Guy Ritchie film since Layer Cake. Unfortunately, for Mrs Ciccione’s babysitter, he didn’t make either of them. Layer Cake was directed by Guy Ritichie’s former collaborater Matthew Vaughn and Lucky Number Slevin was written and directed by Paul McGuigan who has previous form with Gangster No. 1.

Unlike Guy Ritichie, Paul McGuigan’s credibility appears to be higher enough to attract a stellar cast, which included Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley, Lucy Lui, Josh Hartnett and Bruce Willis. The plot, featuring an assassin exploiting the enmity of two warring families of gangsters, is similar in this respect to Yojimbo or A Fistfull of Dollars or Last Man Standing. However, in its comic intent and flamboyant wordplay interspersed with bouts of brutal, but uninvolving violence, it is more reminiscent of Snatch and other superficial, post-Pulp Fiction wannbes than it is to the more economical and plaintive work of Akira Kurosawa or Sergio Leone.

The film starts well, and the cast, seemingly enjoying playing colourful characters unburdened by much of a backstory, give good value. Though somewhat unbelievable as Josh Hartnett’s love interest, Lucy Lui is surprisingly good and winningly attractive. Where the film falls down is in not knowing what type of film it wants to be. Despite the tension and violence, Snatch resolutely remained a fast paced comedy to the end. In its last third, Lucky Number Slevin slows to a crawl; the comedy flags and the film compensate by making the transistion to fully fledged action- thriller. The plot and set up is just too implausible and it jars too much with the comic opening. Not wishing to give too much away, the film has a couple of twists. I swayed out of the way of the ponderous left jab, but didn’t see the right uppercut coming.

I enjoy the genre though and overall found it favourable experience. 6/10.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Marj
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Gary - So I take it you didn't write a review? Darn.

You know what I find interesting. Is everyone's need to compare one film or type of film to another. I was listening to one of the comentaries last night, and the writer said at first some had compared LNS with Pulp Fiction. He said he was surprised as he was more intrigued with films of the 30's and 40's. Howard Hawk's His Girl Friday, for one. Never once did Pulp Fiction enter his mind. But I can see why it would ours. And for one reason: Bruce Willis.

I also didn't see Lucky Number Sleven as a thriller. I think when one wants to catagorize a film like this, "thriller" is the first thing that comes to mind. And perhaps the thing I liked the most about this film is that it defied categorization. I think it's part mystery, part comedy mixed with some slight of hand and lots of surprises. But I can't categorize it.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Marj, but I do get lazy some time. In fact often. I was disappointed to find my 7 word review rather a disappointment also, if that makes you feel any better.
yambu
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Re-watched A Mighty Wind. I remember Shannon saying he was bored. Too bad you're not sixty-something, Shan. They absolutely nailed the pre-Dylan folk scene of the early '60's, the film's singing group being a send up of the fortunately forgotton New Christy Minstral Singers. They were the hottest campus concert ticket going, with their vapid, cutesy arrangements and presentations. The movie group even had its one token Asian.

Then along came Dylan, and within about a week, no one was owning up that they had ever even listened to them, much less dug them.

"There's a Mighty wind that's blowin'
It's blowin' you and me"

HAR!
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
yambu--I'm in the age demographic you're talking about, I understood to the letter all the satire, but I too was bored by A Mighty Wind. I thought it was the weakest of the Christopher Guest movies. I rank them:

1) Waiting for Guffman
2) For Your Consideration
3) Best in Show
4) A Mighty Wind

Since Rob Reiner directed This is Spinal Tap, it doesn't qualify, but it's still the cream of the crop of mockumentaries.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Well yambu, I'm in that age demographic too and I wasn't bored at all. So it's 2-1 not bored.
Marj
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Sorry Marj, but I do get lazy some time. In fact often. I was disappointed to find my 7 word review rather a disappointment also, if that makes you feel any better.

I guess we should be grateful that the title had three words!

Yambu,

I'm a tad younger than you guys but do remember the New Christy Minstrels. And I thought the A Mighty Wind got that exactly right. In fact, thinking about the smile on Parker Posey's face still makes me laugh. Actually it was the duo, Mitch and Mickey and I didn't get. I figured they were just before my time.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
yambu--I'm in the age demographic you're talking about, I understood to the letter all the satire, but I too was bored by A Mighty Wind. I thought it was the weakest of the Christopher Guest movies. I rank them:

1) Waiting for Guffman
2) For Your Consideration
3) Best in Show
4) A Mighty Wind

Since Rob Reiner directed This is Spinal Tap, it doesn't qualify, but it's still the cream of the crop of mockumentaries.

What's great about Spinal Tap is that it doesn't try to force a plot onto the documentary format. There is one, sort of, but it isn't pushed. The events seem to happen naturally: just as they would in a real documentary.

And though it in no way belongs in this genre, I admire Smile for having a similar low-key approach to plot.

-Topher
jeremy
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Quote:
What's great about Spinal Tap is that it doesn't try to force a plot onto the documentary format. There is one, sort of, but it isn't pushed. The events seem to happen naturally: just as they would in a real documentary.

I realise it's not saying a lot giving the pertinance of most your, but this last line has to be one of your more inane and wrong-headed things you've written. Isn't the whole point of a mockumentary that it is in documentary format? Spinal Tap's brilliance lies in how it manages to both skewer (and roast over a low flame) both that style of documentary and heavy metal, yet, amazingly, still leave you feeling well disposed towards both.

Last edited by jeremy on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.