Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Stephen Frears

marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
OK, no hurry.
ehle64
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I wonder where the people who were interested in a Frears forum are. And I remember a couple who were big fans of Laundrette. Skipping class I imagine.

Put my brand-new, unopened DVD of My Beautiful Laundrette in my new player and it says it's the wrong region. Of course customer service is closed and I can't find anything on the internet to tell me what to do, so, I'm taking matters into my own hands. Ripping it onto my Mac and burning a DVD-R of it Region-Free and we'll see if that'll work. . . *sigh*

Why can't things be simpler anymore? AT least the unit does everything else pretty fucking well. Sounds amazing. I want to watch Velvet Goldmine while My Beautiful Laundrette is burning. OMG. Don't burn! I was jest keeeeeeding. . .

*bubble*!*pop*!*bubble*!*bubble*

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
I love My Beautiful Laundrette, which is also one of the first specifically gay movies I ever saw, so it has personal meaning to me beyond the quality of the picture.

My favorite scene has the uncle and his mistress waltzing through the laundrette while the two boys have sex in the back. Two forms of "illicit" sex revealed as the genuine instances of romance they are (neither is a case of "just sex" though both relationships are theoretically based on sex). And both are supposedly based on commercial considerations, as the laundrette is, but all three are instances of personal expression and beauty.

-Topher
ehle64
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
Okay, my newest-new DVD (thx 2 da Mac) of My Beautiful Laundrette works. I put it in to watch when we got home from the theater last night and couldn't make it far b4 having to crash. However, I have to say, it's got to have been around 15 years since I've seen it last and I'm so happy this is giving me a chance to go back and re-view. If anyone needs a copy please PM me and I'll send the one I made as soon as I'm finished watching. The store-bought DVD works in everything but my new sound system. *sigh*

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching My Beautiful Laundrette.

I found it to be a strange movie. And as I've come to appreciate how well Frears movies are shot, this movie is beautifully shot. It has a rather herky jerky pacing regarding the scene transitions. It's almost like many of the scenes haven't quite finished. But I didn't mind that. I sort of liked it. I liked the movie overall, even though many times I couldn't quite figure out what the hell was happening. And I found many of the actions of the characters hard to believe. I'm not talking about what they do, but how they react in some situations. It's hard to think of any sympathetic characters in the movie with the exception of John, who is a reformed fascist hooligan, the mistress (Shirley Anne Field's character) and to a small extent the uncle. It's a wild ride with a lot of missing details, but that is somehow part of the charm of the movie.

I'll write more about what I think of it when the forum starts to roll. I hope it does start to roll.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Me, too. Rolling Eyes

I've been swamped with work and an upcoming party to get ready for, so my re-viewing has been stalled. Sorry.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
Well there seems to be little interest in the Frears forum, OK, not little interest, none.

What does anyone think of the rather unrealistic actions by the characters in Laundrette in regards to their seeming lack of care when confronted by hooligans, confronting relatives with a history of violence, have forbidden sex at a time and place that is wide open to discovery, and seemingly an unconcerned attitude about getting caught cheating or any other deception?

I also could never figure out what exactly this clan of Pakistanis did. There is a drug transaction, for instance, that I could never figure out and was never explained. Among a lot of other things. It seemed almost like there were significant parts of the movie which were edited out.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
I realize that the Holiday season is tearing into this forum. I don't mind leaving it up for a bit afterwards. Would it help if I re-typed Pauline Kael's critique of My Beautiful Laundrette? Don't know how much time it'll take, but I won't mind if it'll respark some fire in here. She also reviewed The Grifters and Dangerous Liaisons in this volume I have of hers. Any thoughts?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see that review ehle. Isn't there a way you can cut and paste it?
ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It's in a book, dude. Maybe I can play around with scanning it, but I type pretty fast.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Take your time, Wade. I've got a couple of days before I take the twins out for New Years.
bart
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope you leave the forum up. I've put MBL in my netflix queue, and will see it sometime in January.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
January's over. I owe a copy of My Beautiful Laundrette to someone who asked and have yet to get to the P.O. My apologies.

I will also try and type up, or scan in, that Kael review.

Also just wanted to peep back in here to wish Mr. Frears a congratulations on his Oscar nomination for Directing The Queen.

Bravo!

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Blockbuster finally came through and sent me My Beautiful Laundrette. I got the e-mail notification yesterday that it had been mailed, but didn't want to jinx it by saying anything before it arrived. I will view it this weekend and discuss it soon after.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Look forward to your thoughts, Earl.

-Topher