Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Stephen Frears

ehle64
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
ehle,

THE HIT is out of print, but I do have a copy in my store. I'll send you a copy.

Merci, mon ami!

I can watch and pass it along if y'all wanna start a film-screening chain.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Alas, another pretty boy from the sixties, David Hemmings, didn't fare so well.

I always got those two mixed up.

I'm going to check if Hit is at my video outlet. If it's not available anywhere it would be hard to discuss.
Earl
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Gary

Back on Monday, Nov27 you wrote:

marantzo wrote:
I say we discuss The Queen for a week and then start another one on Monday. How about My Beautiful Laundrette?

But then the next day you said:

marantzo wrote:
Being the benevolent despot that I am, let me know what you people would like to discuss next. Then we can go on from there. I think that Wade posting all those reviews that we had already written about The Queen has taken a lot of steam out of this subject. But I'm glad he did.

So what's the schedule here? Please keep in mind that a few of us are relying upon online DVD rentals and the postal service to get these movies. My Beautiful Laundrette sounded great to me. I've never seen it, but heard and read wonderful things about it over the years. So if that's the next one, I'll bump it up to the top of my rental queue.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
OK, Earl since you are the only one who voiced a definite preference and actually any interest in what the next movie should be, My Beautiful Laundrette it is. I haven't seen it either.
Earl
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Other thoughts on The Queen:

A few of you mentioned the scenery. I'm guessing that security reasons (among other things) likely nixed any filming on the actual Balmoral estate. But is the real estate actually as vast and stunningly beautiful as was portrayed in The Queen?

I can't recall if it was Queen Elizabeth or her husband, but one member of the royal family made a cutting remark about Diana along the lines of, "She only cared about that when there were cameras nearby." But the movie showed that the royal family, too, cared about what the media thought. We see them watching the TV reports. There are shots of stacks of tabloid newspapers. At one point Phillip complains, "The newspapers would crucify us," about a suggestion made by someone. So they definitely cared; they were just more discreet about it.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
OK, Earl since you are the only one who voiced a definite preference and actually any interest in what the next movie should be, My Beautiful Laundrette it is. I haven't seen it either.

Thanks, Gary. I'll put it on the list.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
I received The Grifters and My Beautiful Laundrette from Best Buy today. Both cheap. Had them on VHS for years. The Grifters is a "Miramax Collector's Series" with commentary from Frears, Cusack, Huston and Screenwriter Donald E. Westlake. A making of and something called "The Jim Thompson Story". I'm going to wait until the new 2.1 sound system gets here before I re-view the films.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
I received The Grifters and My Beautiful Laundrette from Best Buy today. Both cheap. Had them on VHS for years. The Grifters is a "Miramax Collector's Series" with commentary from Frears, Cusack, Huston and Screenwriter Donald E. Westlake. A making of and something called "The Jim Thompson Story". I'm going to wait until the new 2.1 sound system gets here before I re-view the films.

Mad My older Grifters DVD doesn't have a commentary
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:

Mad My older Grifters DVD doesn't have a commentary

Same here. I may have to upgrade if the discs are cheap.

marantzo
Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I got the Laundrette dvd so I guess we can start with it on Monday, if you like.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
My Beautiful Laundrette was the first Frears movie I saw. It was also the first time I saw Daniel Day Lewis. The story about Pakistani immigrants in England is wriiten by Hanif Kureishy, son of a Pakistani father, and brings out intergenerational tensions between immigrants and their children living in a rundown London neighborhood, as well as ambivalent relationships between Pakistani youth and the local kids. This was a territory not traveled before, and is quite different from the story of Dr.Aziz of A Passage to India or the story 20 years later of Pakistani kids blowing up London's subway trains. The direction is very sensitive, the flow of the narrative is smooth, and the movie has pathos and comedy in equal measure.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Ghulam. I have the movie (I've never seen it) but just haven't had the incentive to actually sit down and watch it, even though I'm pretty sure I'd like it. I will at some point. I'm a sorry excuse for a monitor.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Gary,

You are doing fine.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where the people who were interested in a Frears forum are. And I remember a couple who were big fans of Laundrette. Skipping class I imagine.
Earl
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I wonder where the people who were interested in a Frears forum are. And I remember a couple who were big fans of Laundrette. Skipping class I imagine.

Still waiting for the DVD to arrive. Will join the discussion as soon as possible after I've watched the movie. I viewed and quickly returned A History of Violence specifically so they would send me My Beautiful Laundrette, which was at the top of the queue.