Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Stephen Frears

Syd
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
My favorites are High Fidelity and The Queen, and Mrs. Henderson Presents is fine but rather slight. I didn't care for The Grifters and really disliked Dangerous Liaisons. Not sure why; it just rubbed me the wrong way. I haven't seen Dirty Pretty Things or My Beautiful Laundrette. I'm not sure whether I've seen Prick Up Your Ears.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
..and really disliked Dangerous Liaisons. Not sure why; it just rubbed me the wrong way. I haven't seen Dirty Pretty Things or My Beautiful Laundrette.

I think I've posted this before, but Dangerous Liaisons was one I loathed. The story was told much better in Cruel Intentions.

Just added Dirty Pretty Things to my rental list.

Trish
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
I think Mary Reilly and some of the more obscure British Television programs are the only things left that I haven't seen by Frears. I'll watch it, though.

Personal favorites: Prick Up Your Ears; My Beautiful Launderette; The Grifters

Really like: Dangerous Liaisions; Dirty Pretty Things; High Fidelity

The Snapper is very good also, have you seen it
ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, trish. I realized after my post that I "really like" a lot more than those three.

Dangerous Liaisons seems like it might get the best discussion. I mean, I'm just dying to find out what on earth makes Cruel Intentions a better film in chilly's eyes. Cool soundtrack, pretty people, but I mean. *shudders*

Vadim's Les Liaisons dangereuses could also be discussed. As well as Forman's Valmont.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
Dangerous Liaisons seems like it might get the best discussion. I mean, I'm just dying to find out what on earth makes Cruel Intentions a better film in chilly's eyes. Cool soundtrack, pretty people, but I mean. *shudders*

Vadim's Les Liaisons dangereuses could also be discussed. As well as Forman's Valmont.

I'll be willing to do both films back to back and give good dialouge on why I liked one over the other. Of course, it being years ago since I've seen DL, I may have a different take on it.

ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Cool!

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I have seen The Snapper, and it is indeed a good movie. I like Colm Meaney in a lot of things.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Me, too. I finally saw Layer Cake this past weekend. Good stuff!

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I have seen The Snapper, and it is indeed a good movie. I like Colm Meaney in a lot of things.

Is that the one where Meaney says, "Elvis is God!" I haven't seen the movie (I don't think) but I've certainly seen that scene. It cracks me up.
Syd
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Syd wrote:

Is that the one where Meaney says, "Elvis is God!" I haven't seen the movie (I don't think) but I've certainly seen that scene. It cracks me up.

That's The Commitments. Great movie.

The Snapper is the one where his daughter turns up pregnant and won't tell anyone who the father is. Meaney gets really into the idea of having another kid around the house.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's The Commitments. Great movie.

I thought so I saw that movie.
Marc
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
THE HIT is very good. Plan to re-watch it for this forum.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to locate a copy of it. I've never seen it (that I can remember).

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
ehle,

THE HIT is out of print, but I do have a copy in my store. I'll send you a copy.
jeremy
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
The Hit unusually psychological for a gangster flick, features two of my favourite actors, John Hurt and Terence Stamp. Though I like Hurt, I was never fully convinced of him playing the part the hard man hired to carry out 'the hit. John Hurt must've still been a youngster when The Hit was made, but, if remember rightly, he looked more weathered than the much older Stamp.

Terence Stamp was one of those fortunate enough to retain there looks as they aged. Alas, another pretty boy from the sixties, David Hemmings, didn't fare so well.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.