Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Stephen Frears

Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
I always thought we pretty much went through that ("movies that changed my life") in about two days when we were talking about possible forums once.

Precode would be a lot of fun, and quite a bit is available at least through Netflix, etc.

As well as films with blatantly ignored the code. Oh, how titillating!
Nancy
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
I think a forum on pre-Code films would be great fun.

Isaacism, 2009
bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
See, Marc. Our suggestion gets shot down every time. Fuck 'em!

aw, gary, don't get pissed (i know that means something else in canadian, but think american for a moment), i get ignored, over ruled and chastised all the time. you get used to it after a while...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

122 posts ---- and they just keep piling up...
bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
and if you really want to cut loose, have at it. there's nothing else going on here...

------------------------------------------------------------

123 posts----and they just keep piling up...
lady wakasa
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
bocce wrote:
and if you really want to cut loose, have at it. there's nothing else going on here...

C'mon, bocce - you were complaining about nothing film-focused happening here. Four people just agreed on a possible forum topic and you don't even acknowledge it.

I know you've taken the role of forum curmudgeon - which I have no problem with - but at least recognize it when people are moving in a direction you were talking about.

mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
bocce wrote:

C'mon, bocce - you were complaining about nothing film-focused happening here. Four people just agreed on a possible forum topic and you don't even acknowledge it.

I know you've taken the role of forum curmudgeon - which I have no problem with - but at least recognize it when people are moving in a direction you were talking about.

Thanks, lady.

I'd been looking for an apt moniker for bocce. Curmudgeon it is!

(Now I have to come up with something for Marc and Gary...)

Wink
bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:

which four people and what agreement? i can almost guarantee there'll be no specialty forum to come of it. wanna bet???

y'all are the laziest motherfuckers in the world about this quintessential aspect of a film discussion. you, lady w, should know better...the SILENTS forum educated more members about film history than any other than NOIR...

all i want is dialogue...not about barak obama and hiillary clinton... but about film and its place in society...if that's curmudgendry, then so be it...
bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
gromit wrote:

Sounds like The Anecdote Forum to me.

yeah, well, ordinarily i wouldn't have a problem with that. but realistically, you've only got about twenty contributing members here. even if five films had dramatically (no pun intended) impacted their lives, that only multiplies out to 100 comments. add in 100 more responses and that still makes for a short topic...

we had some success with 90s FILMS as a forum topic. why not try the other decades as individual fora???

and i DID acknowledge it...i just didn't agree with it...curmudgeon here!!!

----------------------------------------------

127 posts----and they just keep piling up...
lady wakasa
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
lady wakasa wrote:

which four people and what agreement? i can almost guarantee there'll be no specialty forum to come of it. wanna bet???

y'all are the laziest motherfuckers in the world about this quintessential aspect of a film discussion. you, lady w, should know better...the SILENTS forum educated more members about film history than any other than NOIR...

all i want is dialogue...not about barak obama and hiillary clinton... but about film and its place in society...if that's curmudgendry, then so be it...

Pre-code, bocce. It's a little telling that you had to ask. And this is the first post you've made about any forum since the suggestion was made so no, you didn't acknowledge it.

No, I'm not going to bet you. However, if you talked about how to get the forum started - because you're obviously aware how hard it is to even get four people to say "I'd be interested in that" - instead of going on about how lazy and off-topic this place is, maybe it wouldn't be a done deal that nothing would come of it.

Even the fact that you're not saying, "why don't we move this into the lobby, make more people aware of it, and get a mod lined up" or even figuring out some creative way to get it hosted, like having a couple of people work together on it - I'm not even suggesting you take the bull by the horns and offer to host it yerself, god forbid - makes it sound like you find it more enjoyable to take digs than to try to change the situation.

If you really want serious, sustained film talk, I would think you know by now that this isn't the place you're looking for. That's not what goes on here. It's not the only place I come to, and not the place I get deep into film details. It's not curmudgeonly to want to dig deep into film. It is curmudgeonly to complain even when people are talking about digging deep into film.

(And frankly, I thought the Fellini forum was the best one.)

Last edited by lady wakasa on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
and i don't mind being the forum prick. i guess i've always been perceived that way over the last 12 years...

well. if that's the price for instigating momentum and actually affecting some conversation, then, as i said, "so be it"...

yeah, it's true, i'm not really interested in your job security or your personal relationships (i do care about your health) or your birthdays. all i'm interested in is what you're watching and what you think about that...

if that makes me an outcast on a film blog, then i need to retire permanently...

Last edited by bocce on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
lady wakasa
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
and i don't mind being the forum prick. i guess i've always been perceived that way over the last 12 years...

well. if that's the price for instigating momentum and actually affecting some conversation, then, as i said, "so be it"...

yeah, it's true, i'm not really interested in your job security or your personal relationships (i do care about your health). all i'm interested in is what you'er watching and what you think about that...

if that makes me an outcast on a film blog, then i need to retire permanently...

See, bocce, nobody's calling you an outcast or a prick. Nobody's telling you to go away. You said all that. What I'm saying is that something that you're asking for actually has come up, albeit in chrysalis form, and you're not doing anything about it.

bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="lady wakasa"] And this is the first post you've made about any forum since the suggestion was made so no, you didn't acknowledge it.

No, I'm not going to bet you. However, if you talked about how to get the forum started - because you're obviously aware how hard it is to even get four people to say "I'd be interested in that" - instead of going on about how lazy and off-topic this place is, maybe it wouldn't be a done deal that nothing would come of it.

Even the fact that you're not saying, "why don't we move this into the lobby, make more people aware of it, and get a mod lined up" or even figuring out some creative way to get it hosted, like having a couple of people work together on it - I'm not even suggesting you take the bull by the horns and offer to host it yerself, god forbid - makes it sound like you find it more enjoyable to take digs than to try to change the situation.

If you really want serious, sustained film talk, I would think you know by now that this isn't the place you're looking for. That's not what goes on here. It's not the only place I come to, and not the place I get deep into film details. It's not curmudgeonly to want to dig deep into film. It is curmudgeonly to complain even when people are talking about digging deep into film.

/quote]

you truly have no idea how many times i've gone down this road. ask even marilyn or marc (not two of my greatest supporters). sure, i could go on different boards but why should i? i started here (NYT) with billy and a couple of others who are semi with us. why can't we make this place better as it was intended?

if you go for bland, bland is what you get...
bocce
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:

Pre-code, bocce. It's a little telling that you had to ask.

there was no point in asking. it's a loser in terms of participation...little to no access to the films. it's kind of like you or gromit wanting a korean film forum...be realistic...

that's the biggest problem with you guys. you make unreasonable propositions, self fulllfilling failures and, then, wonder why we stagnate...

-----------------------------------------------------------

post 132----and they just keep piling up...
Nancy
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
there was no point in asking. it's a loser in terms of participation...little to no access to the films. it's kind of like you or gromit wanting a korean film forum...be realistic...

Hey, I've watched several Korean films over the past few months, and it's because they were recommended by people on these forums. I would never have known about them otherwise. I did have to seek them out, and I may have more resources for that than others do, but the point is that I did make the effort. I'm not interested in all of the genre subjects, so there are some that I haven't participated in, but I don't bitch about it.

Isaacism, 2009
Marc
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
..little to no access to the films.

I absolutely agree with bocce on this. I own a DVD store with an inventory of over 12,000 DVDs. Of those, I have a handful of pre-code films. Unless you're a Netflix subscriber or live in a major city, pre-code films on DVD are gonna be tough to get your hands on. Let's not be so esoteric. I suggest we find a topic
that allows for easy access to films that involve subjects or artists that are generally known by the majority of our members.
Perhaps a decade: the sixties or seventies. Or how about American indie classics, ie. the films of John Casavettes. Billy will love that.