Third Eye Film Society Forum Index
Author Message

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  90s Films

chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8250 Location: Salt Lake City
mo_flixx wrote:
and one with Jeff Fahey (looking very gorgeous that I can't remember the name of) but it was still a good movie.

It wasn't Detour, was it? I remember it being an ok movie.

_________________
Chilly
"If you should die before me / Ask if you could bring a friend"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 12533
Syd wrote:
Bound's a great film, but I find Showgirls unwatchable.


Not at all. You ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE THE V.I.P. EDITION. Once you use your shot glasses enough, you will love it.

BTW, the commentary is to die for.


Last edited by mo_flixx on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 12533
chillywilly wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
and one with Jeff Fahey (looking very gorgeous that I can't remember the name of) but it was still a good movie.

It wasn't Detour, was it? I remember it being an ok movie.


I checked the imdb.com - even tho' hippie thinks I'm lazy. Somehow, this doesn't seem like the right movie. I'm in a quandry.
View user's profile Send private message
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 12533
lshap wrote:
I loved Memento, but I'd classify it as 'gimmicky' rather than exclusive to one decade. And besides, I think it was done in 2000, like being born on the cusp.

Pulp Fiction is really, really, really THE film of the 90's


Yeah, but we're supposed to be discussing MORE THAN ONE.

Besides I think the argument for TOY STORY being THE film was pretty damn convincing.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 12533
I am a huge fan of the '90's films of John Dahl -

"Red Rock West"
"The Last Seduction" and others.

What a stylist!
View user's profile Send private message
ehle64
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 7149 Location: NYC; US&A
Here's the link hippie posted in the last Specialty Forum:

hippiemc wrote:
Here's a terrific "best of" list resource.

http://www.listsofbests.com/lists/home/movies/definitive

_________________
It truly disappoints me when people do something for you via no prompt of your own and then use it as some kind of weapon against you at a later time and place. It is what it is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Syd
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12640 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
mo_flixx wrote:
lshap wrote:
I loved Memento, but I'd classify it as 'gimmicky' rather than exclusive to one decade. And besides, I think it was done in 2000, like being born on the cusp.

Pulp Fiction is really, really, really THE film of the 90's


Yeah, but we're supposed to be discussing MORE THAN ONE.

Besides I think the argument for TOY STORY being THE film was pretty damn convincing.

Wink


I made a case for Toy Story to be the most influential film of the 90s. (Except for Fred Ott's Sneeze which was one of the most influential films of the 1890s.) It changed the face of animation to the point where few successful American animated films are done in the traditional style. (Although that's not true in Japan because of Ghibli Studios.) Toy Story was the most influential animated film since Snow White.

_________________
"Most books on witchcraft tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft are written by men."--Good Omens
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Syd
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12640 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
By the way, if you want to stump someone, ask him to link Fred Ott to Kevin Bacon.

_________________
"Most books on witchcraft tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft are written by men."--Good Omens
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 12533
Syd wrote:
By the way, if you want to stump someone, ask him to link Fred Ott to Kevin Bacon.


I remember...and I thought your observation was brilliant.

What is this...six degrees of Kevin Bacon and "Toy Story?"

Fred Ott --- who?? 20 degrees of Kevin Bacon?
View user's profile Send private message
Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 4731 Location: Upstate NY
I thought Pulp Fiction was all style. The substance was gory, and the characters unsavory. However to give myself a second chance, I just rented it from Hollywood store for another look-see.
View user's profile Send private message
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Ott sound like hot, which is the best way to serve bacon.

Where's my dollar?

_________________
I am angry, I am ill, and I'm as ugly as sin.
My irritability keeps me alive and kicking.
I know the meaning of life, it doesn't help me a bit.
I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
gromit
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 8797 Location: Shanghai
Ghulam, I also wasn't such a big Pulp Fiction fan. Some scenes were very good. Samuel L. kicks ass. But too many plot lines seemed grafted on just to add a shock or camp element. It was interesting and lively, but didn't really hold together or keep my interest entirely. I'm not much into violence on film, so maybe that came into play.

Since my first viewing, I've seen scenes and segments here and there, but haven't seen PF whole again. So I'm willing to dust off my copy and see how it affects me.

Also looking forward to a 2nd viewing of Fight Club (long overdue).

_________________
Killing your enemies, if it's done badly, increases their number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 14498 Location: Houston
I more than disliked Pulp Fiction, I thought it was hideous. Amoral to the core, and layering in the "cult" references in the most obvious learned-it-from-a-textbook-never-actually-encountered-the-stuff manner. No real feeling of connection between the tawdry pop culture it brandishes in such a chic way and the director utilizing it. A disturbing film, unpleasant, for little reason. Really, in my opinion, a terrible picture.

Kill Bill is everything Pulp Fiction is not. Genuine, original in its use of pop culture artifacts, and intensely personal.

_________________
You've got a great brain. You should keep it in your head.

-Topher
View user's profile Send private message
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I think Pulp Fiction is everything Kill Bill is not, precisely because it does not let the audience of the hook by labelling itself a joke.

_________________
I am angry, I am ill, and I'm as ugly as sin.
My irritability keeps me alive and kicking.
I know the meaning of life, it doesn't help me a bit.
I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 2450
Some 90's stuff I'd like to see addressed in one way or another:

The Doors-JFK-Heaven & Earth-Natural Born Killers-UTurn-Any Given Sunday: What the Hell Happened to Oliver Stone?

Forrest Gump vs. Pulp Fiction, the war of '94 - Tarantino loses the Oscar, Clinton loses Congress. Coincidence?

Best Shakespeare Adaptation. Nominees: Bertolucci's Hamlet, Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, McKlellan's Richard III, Branagh's Hamlet, A Midsummer Night's Dream.

The best actor of the 90s - Sean Penn. Tom Hanks. Johnny Depp. Harvey Keitel. Leonardo DiCaprio. Denzel Washington. Morgan Freeman. Jeff Bridges. Al Pacino.

If the only other George Clooney movie you ever saw was Batman & Robin, would you have seen Syriana coming?

Goodfellas. Cape Fear. Age of Innocence. Casino. Kundun. Bringing Out the Dead. What the fuck did Martin Scorsese ever do to you?

Malcolm X vs. Girl 6. How are these both Spike Lee joints?

The best movies of the 90s, according to me:
Dead Man Walking
Goodfellas
Natural Born Killers
Unforgiven
Reservoir Dogs
Three Kings
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet
Glengarry Glen Ross

_________________
"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 114
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 112, 113, 114  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum