Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Specialty Forums - Westerns Through the Decades

shannon
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Again, there are like 10 of us who post on a regular basis. Three or four people say they're interested, that's about as big a rise as you're gonna get.
Marc
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Everybody submit their TOP TEN FILMS OF THE NINETIES. From those lists, I will choose 10 films for discussion. We'll devote a few days to each film.

My top ten of the nineties:

FIGHT CLUB
FEARLESS
NAKED
PULP FICTION
SECRETS AND LIES
BAD LIEUTENANT
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
ONCE WERE WARRIORS
TITANIC
Syd
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Marc: I don't think we're adhering to that schedule. Yambu was hosting the Western forum and there were several people ahead of him. Really, you should have been one of them.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
syd,

whats your top ten of the nineties?
Marc
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
mo,

I do not understand why your private message regarding 90s films should not be posted here. You must have your reasons, however silly.
Syd
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Marc: I'll have to work on 4 - 10, because I have about 15 candidates. #1 is Schindler's List, #2 is The Sweet Hereafter and #3 is Mononoke Hime (The Japanese version of Princess Mononoke with English subtitles, which I prefer to the dubbed version).

I need to find a list of 90's films to decide on the rest of them.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
Here's why I would pick those three films:

Schindler's List is sometimes accused of sentimentalizing the Holocaust, which I think is silly. The Holocaust was the product of people who put ideology ahead of human decency, or who abdicated their responsibility in favor of evil people because it was easier than taking a moral stand. Schindler's List is a movie about responsibilty, and how, if people's lives are in your hands, you have to go out of your way, even at the cost of your own life, to defend them.

The Sweet Hereafter is one of the most moving films I've ever seen, about the human need to find some understandable agency to explain the disasters that overwhelm you. We see this all the time; for example, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, people wanted to blame Ray Nagin, Katherine Nagel, Michael Brown or George W. Bush. In this case, a bus skids off the road, and half a town's children are dead. Who's to blame? Who's responsible? Somebody must be, surely?

Mononoke Hime is a classic epic fantasy, concerning man's relationship to nature. If we can transform nature to the benefit of man, does that justify what we do to the rest of nature? The movie is ambiguous. I prefer the spirits of the forest, but which direction do our loyalties lie?

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Syd,

you have compelled me to re-watch THE SWEET HEREAFTER. I saw it upon its release bwck in the nineties. Have not seen it since. I remember admiring the film, but not being that impressed. I will view it again.
gromit
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
Marc, there's definitely enough interest in a 90's forum.
Along with discussing some of the top films you select, I hope we'll have time to discuss over-looked favorites, as well as foreign films of the 90's.

So can we get a new forum started?

I'll revise my top 10 of the 90's list and submit it soon.
Hopefully in a bright new shiny 90's Forum.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
gromit,

there does seem to be interest in a nineties forum. I am waiting for a few more folks to jump in and let us know what they think.
Marc
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay people. For those of you that haven't been keeping up in the Specialty Forum - Westerns, there has been discussion about the new topic. Most want Films of the 90s to be the, IMO, very broad category for the new forum. I think it could work, it could go on for the whole summer as opposed to a month. No one has stepped up to the plate to become Moderator for that subject, but interest has been high. I believe I figured out how to add a Forum to the Movies thread, but am hesitant to create it until we get a confirmation from someone who would like to moderate.

posted by ehle in THE LOBBY.
Marc
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
The only moderation this forum needs is someone keeping things on topic and energized. When the discussion of a particular film gets stagnant, the moderator introduces a new film for discussion. Thats pretty much it.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
My top ten films of the 90s:

Leaving Las Vegas
Boogie Nights
Grand Canyon
Schindler's List
The Shawshank Redemption
L.A. Confidential
Beauty and the Beast
JFK
Once Were Warriors
The Silence of the Lambs
Marc
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually think the breadth of the topic will be a positive, as things like silent films and Westerns are not to everyone's taste. Everyone should be able to chime in on 90's films

gromit, I agree. Look at billy's and my list. Some fine films for discussion. And a good range of styles and themes.
Earl
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Marc - Since I may have unwittingly helped to bring this idea to fruition by questioning you when you declared Fight Club to be the best film of the 90's, I'll chime in with a few titles in no particular order. Not a complete list by any means and subject to change:

Pulp Fiction

Goodfellas

Hamlet (the version directed by Kenneth Branagh)

Mo' Better Blues

Fargo

JFK

Shakespeare In Love

Schindler's List