Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  As The Forum Turns: Topic - "The Juice"

Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
It sucks BVC. Really bad.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
It really lacked any drama, it was just sort of flat. I think Grayson had something to do with that. She one terrible actress, but she's not flat.
dlhavard
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Ava Gardner definitely out-acted her in that one. She was very very good.

You know, for its time, it was rather outspoken on the treatment of blacks. Another good one was that old movie with Lana Turner (I think it was "Imitation of Life").

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Gone With the Wind is on Sunday on Turner.

I remember reading the book and thinking - not a bad story, just wish they'd skipped about 1/2 the descriptions of the war.

FLASHBACK: Carol Burnett coming down the stairs wearing the green curtain with the curtain rod over her shoulders.... "This old thang?" Laughing

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I've tried to get Syd to watch Gone With the Wind. I've even told him he can root for the damnyankees. No dice.

Isaacism, 2009
Earl
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
I've tried to get Syd to watch Gone With the Wind. I've even told him he can root for the damnyankees. No dice.

My one and only vewing of Gone With the Wind was on the big screen. Back in 1989 the River Oaks theater was celebrating the 50th anniversary of what they called the "Golden Year" of the movies, 1939. So one Saturday they showed consecutively The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind and Wuthering Heights. Not only that, but they reduced admission to 10 cents per picture because that was the price that same theater used to charge in 1939. My intent was to see all three, but after the first two I was drained and didn't have the strength for Wuthering Heights.

I'd been living in Houston for only three years at that time after growing up in York, Pennsylvania. I was rooting for the "damn yankees." When Scarlett yelled at a Yankee soldier "get out of my home you damn yankee!" and the packed theater erupted in cheers and applause, I sank a little in my seat.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
While it might not technically be in the spirit of this forum, I was wondering if there might be time before the discussion ends to talk about books that have never been adapted. I'm sure each of us has a story that is a favorite and has never been filmed.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Great idea. Off the top of my head, and because I said so much earlier, I'm waiting for my favorite Elmore Leonard read, Swag.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Great post, Earl.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
dlhavard wrote:
Ava Gardner definitely out-acted her in that one. She was very very good.

You know, for its time, it was rather outspoken on the treatment of blacks. Another good one was that old movie with Lana Turner (I think it was "Imitation of Life").

Ava Gardner totally stole that Show Boat. Not a huge accomplishment considering that Grayson and Keel were scarcely world-beating actors and Joe E. Brown and Agnes Moorehead were competely wasted. William Warfield had a great voice but "Ol' Man River" was taken at a lugubrious pace. Gardner, however, did provide a trace of grit to the proceedings. And--duh--some incredible pulchritude. What a gorgeous creature.
Marj
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
I am so ashamed. Not that I made the Show Boat mistake, but because we've been over this before.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
While it might not technically be in the spirit of this forum, I was wondering if there might be time before the discussion ends to talk about books that have never been adapted. I'm sure each of us has a story that is a favorite and has never been filmed.

I'm trying to think of books that are "unadaptable" to film also.

Also, how about books that have been adapted many, many times?
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
One famous example would be J.D. Salinger who refused to have his works adapted because he was incensed at the handling of "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut."
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
One famous example would be J.D. Salinger who refused to have his works adapted because he was incensed at the handling of "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut."

The movie version of "Uncle Wiggly" is not bad at all--it's just not Salinger. It's called My Foolish Heart, and stars Susan Hayward and an inexplicably top-billed Dana Andrews. What is a man, you might ask, doing in "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut"? Well, he's in the flashback portion of the movie, which occupies most of the running time. This may sound silly, but it's no different from the movie version of Hemingway's The Killers (the original one), and arguably no worse a movie. The short story (in both cases) serves as the bookends for the flashback.

Actually, Hayward is very good indeed, so good that she was rewarded with an Oscar nomination, as was the beautiful title song, which became a genuine standard.

Last edited by billyweeds on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Marc
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Boston Teran's GOD IS A BULLET is a novel that should be turned into a film.