Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  The 7th Annual Blanche Awards

Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A Brokeback sequel is unthinkable, nor imitators likely: A watershed moment can't be recreated.

Doesn't mean no one will try. Look at Gone With the Wind and Scarlett.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
3 meters is more than 9 ft. so I wouldn't put too much stock in that report, Yambu.
gromit
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nancy, I thought you should know this immediately. From some website:

"Hungry sheep on the Yorkshire moors have taught themselves to roll 8ft (3m) across hoof-proof metal cattle grids - and raid villagers' valley gardens...."

Deleted scenes in Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of The Were-Rabbit depicted this, but it was deemed too horrifying for goofy-looking, garden-loving Brits to handle. Might turn up in the sequel, Wallace & Gromit: The Revenge of the Were-Cow.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
3 meters is more than 9 ft. so I wouldn't put too much stock in that report, Yambu.

Thank you for pointing this out to your metrically-challenged neighbors to the South.

Smile
Trish
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
CRASH winning aggravates me more than BBM losing ...but I feel for BBM people/fans - as it won all the precurser awards only to be passed over for that monstrosity
Nancy
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

I wouldn't put it past them. Syd's the rolling sheep expert around here; we should ask him.

Isaacism, 2009
shannon
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Annie Proulx is pretty pissed about the Oscar™ outcome:

Quote:
The people connected with Brokeback Mountain, including me, hoped that, having been nominated for eight Academy awards, it would get Best Picture as it had at the funny, lively Independent Spirit awards the day before. (If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices.) We should have known conservative heffalump academy voters would have rather different ideas of what was stirring contemporary culture. Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest-homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.

For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant, play it as it lays.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1727309,00.html

Last edited by shannon on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
shannon
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Edit: whoops
Syd
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12886 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Yes, it's a Sour Grapes Rant. Annie sounds like a real piece of work.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
Totally agree. The cheap Trash comment is particularly bad. Please let this turn out to be one of those totally false British tabloid stories.

-Topher
shannon
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Please let this turn out to be one of those totally false British tabloid stories.

It's not. The article was written by Ms. Proulx.

Read the entire article. I only excerpted a small bit pertaining specifically to Brokeback Mountain. The article is more about her disgust with the awards show and the whole Hollywood facade than it is about Crash winning. I thought it quite witty, personally. And, yeah, complaining that your work didn't win may be a bit tasteless, but I find it kinda refreshing to see somebody not graciously lose for once. (She's certainly not the first literary figure to express her disgust towards Hollywood.) Losing under the circumstances Brokeback Mountain lost under, I think her complaints are more than valid.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
British tabloid stories can be sensationalist, intrusive, nasty, pandering, unfair, selective...but they are rarely wrong.

Anyway the piece was not a story, just a no-holds, both barrels opinion piece, the style is quite common in non-editorial columns in British newspapers, they are much less respectful than their American counterparts.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I guess it is the job of the BBC to be impartial and fair (and dull).

It's strange that in this respect it seems that the roles of TV and the press are almost reversed in America relative to Britain.

mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
British tabloid stories can be sensationalist, intrusive, nasty, pandering, unfair, selective...but they are rarely wrong.

I'm wondering more about this, Jeremy. Do you think it has anything to do with the libel laws in our respective countries?
Tabloids in the U.S. have a bad reputation for truth, but they are rarely sued.
They seem to specialize in titillation and distortion.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The tabloids embelish or make up a lot of low grade tittle-tattle, especially about wannabe celebrities. It's a symbiotic relationship. They also pay big money for kiss and tell stories. But yes the libel laws keep them on their toes when it comes to serious allegations or defamation.

PArt of the tabloid's strength in the UK realtive to the US and what many Americans don't realise is that they are proper newpapers with large journalistic and editorial staffs. They are capable breaking big stories as well or even better than their more po-faced rivals. They also can influence public opinion and are courted by politicians.

However, I would say their quality has dropped in recent years with theadvent of celebrity culture. Real news is becoming harder to find. But the market is fiercely competitive and I guess they are just giving what their readership wants.