Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Having not yet seen (due to geography) Anatomy of a Fall, The Zone of Interest, The Holdovers, Killers of the Flower Moon, or a couple other contenders, I have no idea which deserves bald statuary. Some will show up in Sticksville if they win anything, the others we wait for streaming. I hope to see Zone of Interest, which sounds fascinating.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
It looks like a very good collection of movies but if I have to subscribe to six or more streaming services to see them. I probably won't. I have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime and may get Disney since I get it cheap with Hulu, but that'll be about it.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
As it worked out, I only saw three Oscar winners at the theater and they won one apiece: Barbie (song), The Boy and the Heron (animated feature) and Godzilla Minus One (visual effects). I thought the other song from Barbie was better, but I'm fine with the other two. In fact, I cheered when Godzilla Minus One won; it was richly deserved.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I broke my arm back in January (walking on ice and being an idiot) and wasn't able to drive until April 4 since I wasn't about to try driving with one functional arm. Anyway, I managed to drive halfway to the eclipse and realized I could go to the movies to see a movie! Which, of course, was Kung Fu Panda 4 since the rest of the movies looked totally unpromising.

When Kung Fu Panda 3 came out, I thought it was a natural end to the series, and I was right, but still, Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman as a red panda) is ready to retire and Po (Jack Black) is the current Dragon Warrior, which means he has to choose a successor and become the new spiritual guru, a position he is totally unsuitable for, being a philosophical idiot. Still, he tries to find a successor to his own role as Dragon Warrior, none of which is really suitable. He is raided by a clever fox who actually fights him to a standstill and it is absolutely obvious that the fox Zeng (Awkwafina, who annoys a lot of people but whom I like, and is perfect if you can't get Zendaya) is the logical Dragon Warrior.

Anyway, a villain named The Chameleion (Viola Davis, who gets to do lots and lots of villains since she's a Chameleon) is able to change forms to imitate past foes of Po and wants to turn the Valley of Peace into something less peaceful. So Po and Zeng go off to fight the Chameleon. Po's goose adoptive father and panda biological father (I'd forgotten the latter) go off after Po and Zeng.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER:
The Chameleon is orchestrating things so that Po and Zeng will enable her to gain the skills of all of Po's enemies from the first three movies so she herself will become a kung fu master who can defeat Po. See the problem?

These are foes Po has already defeated. He is already stronger than them. And the Chameleon can only do one of them at a time...

Not a bad film, with some good laughs. No Furious Five this time until the end credits, and the film clumsily dismisses them. But when you start rehashing past foes, it may be time to retire the franchise.