Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:

For a moment there' I was wondering why you were reviewing a Bobby Darin biopic.

Ha! Actually Kevin Spacey would have been an interesting casting for Josh Hartnett's role. Though Netflix would have likely declined to stream that episode.

Re: To Leslie - Glad to hear the Weedster is out there, lavishing his sometimes hyperbolic praises upon a fine film.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:
Syd wrote:

For a moment there' I was wondering why you were reviewing a Bobby Darin biopic.

Ha! Actually Kevin Spacey would have been an interesting casting for Josh Hartnett's role. Though Netflix would have likely declined to stream that episode.

Re: To Leslie - Glad to hear the Weedster is out there, lavishing his sometimes hyperbolic praises upon a fine film.

He's also relentlessly promoting his own films and often convincing me not to see him.

Next up for me is Elemental. Eventually this year I may see a film that has nothing to do with Disney. Although not the current multi-world Avengers series. The Spider-Verse movies are also multi-world but have the decency not to expect you to watch several mini-series to keep up.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:28 pm Reply with quote
That film, by the way, is likely going to be a Miyazaki film, since we have an ongoing Studio Ghibli series. Although if they decide to show "Whisper of the Heart" or "The Cat Returns," I'm there.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:33 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
That film, by the way, is likely going to be a Miyazaki film, since we have an ongoing Studio Ghibli series. Although if they decide to show "Whisper of the Heart" or "The Cat Returns," I'm there.

Come to think of it, Disney might be promoting the Studio Ghibli festival. They're inescapable.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:02 am Reply with quote
Went to see Elementals today, which seemed appropriate since it has fireworks. It's about a fire elemental who is set to inherit her father's business, but accidentally sets off a leak in the basement which sets off a leak which floods said basement and also inject a water elemental into her life, who is also a building inspector. This presents a serious problem, because the water elemental is very dutiful, but also very nice, and he traces the problem to an unidentified. She uses her fire elemental abilities to lift a balloon which identifies the source of the leak, but now the problem is how to seal the leak because otherwise her father's business is condemned and he wants her to inherit it.

Nice movie. Not one of Pixar's major films, but pleasant, with a nice romantic dilemma: How could a fire elemental and a water elemental ever have a romance based on anything other than frustration, no matter how steamy it might be. It also has some very beautiful scenes, including her meeting his family.

The short preceding this is about Carl (from "Up") preparing to go on his first date in about fifty years, with Dug giving him useless advice (sniff her butt, wag your tail, etc.) I found it tedious, which I never said about previous Pixar shorts. Fortunately, the movie is much better.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:21 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I feel I am imposing an unreasonable burden on actors, requiring them to die before I will see their award winning movies. I thought maybe I had seen Alan Arkin in THIALH in my youth but really no recollection of it. Mainly preferred him as a comic actor. May he RIP.

Meanwhile, apparently there is a new meme and catchphrase for very different sorts of movies released on the same day:

Barbenheimer.

What is funny is that these are the two films, Barbie and Oppenheimer, both out on July 23, that I most want to see this year so far.

I know there is also a Wes Anderson flick out there now, but am not sure it is up to his usual standard. Looks like a WFV for me.

Guilty pleasure territory might be JLaw in No Hard Feelings. Before I start rambling on what a super sexy kitten she is, I will remind myself that she and my daughter were born a couple months apart. Harumph. Fine actress. Dedicated professional.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
https://www.npr.org/2023/07/06/1186178724/barbie-movie-philippines-vietnam-china-map

Tue question is why did they put that nine-dash line there in the first place. Leave the crude childishly-drawn map as it was, minus the line, and no one would have given it a second thought. It's not a realistic world map, so you wonder how China leveraged this geopolitical statement in there during production. And obviously with some form of threat that they wouldn't release the film to the huge Chinese market.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Syd--You talkin' 'bout me?

"He's also relentlessly promoting his own films and often convincing me not to see him."

Sorry about that.
bartist
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
Bill,

I could be dead wrong on this, but I get the feeling that Syd sees many films with grandchildren or other youngish relatives, and his viewing has shifted that direction. It could be his tastes don't dovetail with what you're doing these days. (I would like grandchildren, but my kids seems to be part of that Millennial and younger trend, where the smart people are putting off having children or just opting not to. This doesn't bode well for our civilization -- SEE ALSO "Idiocracy")

One impediment is the "islanding" of media generally. For example, I thought about seeing Psycho Ape a while back, but the Night Flight streaming service requires a subscription and I couldn't justify adding one when I'm lately reducing my streaming time and doing more book reading. It's not just your movies, many I'm sure enjoyable indie films are falling by the wayside for this reason. I missed at least half the Oscar nom films of 2022. I could be (also dead wrong) about this, but I suspect many former 3rd Eyeballers are having a similar trajectory.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:50 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I thought about seeing Psycho Ape a while back, but the Night Flight streaming service requires a subscription and I couldn't justify adding one when I'm lately reducing my streaming time and doing more book reading.

Totally understandable, but "Psycho Ape!" is available on Amazon Prime for $1.99 with no subscription necessary, as far as I know.

I have grandchildren, too, and they haven't been allowed to see "Psycho Ape!" yet, though the day will come.
Syd
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Bill,

I could be dead wrong on this, but I get the feeling that Syd sees many films with grandchildren or other youngish relatives, and his viewing has shifted that direction. It could be his tastes don't dovetail with what you're doing these days. (I would like grandchildren, but my kids seems to be part of that Millennial and younger trend, where the smart people are putting off having children or just opting not to. This doesn't bode well for our civilization -- SEE ALSO "Idiocracy")

Nope, I have no children or grandchildren. I just love animated film, and if they're designed for young adults, so be it. You're not going to see a review of the new Trolls movie. Besides, somebody has to review them, so you'll have some idea where to take your great-grandchildren.

I'm about to review three Michael Powell films from his early days. I had another couple of films I was going to review, but I need closed captions or subtitles these days. Also why you are not going to see a review of any Chris Nolan film until he stops drowning out the dialog with his soundtracks. He started doing that with "Dark Knight Returns" and it ruins his films.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly despise Christopher Nolan films. Two of them, "Inception" and "Interstellar," reside on my ten-worst-films-of-all-time list.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly despise Christopher Nolan films. Two of them, "Inception" and "Interstellar," reside on my ten-worst-films-of-all-time list.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
bartist wrote:
Bill,

Nope, I have no children or grandchildren. I just love animated film, and if they're designed for young adults, so be it. You're not going to see a review of the new Trolls movie. Besides, somebody has to review them, so you'll have some idea where to take your great-grandchildren.

I'm about to review three Michael Powell films from his early days. I had another couple of films I was going to review, but I need closed captions or subtitles these days. Also why you are not going to see a review of any Chris Nolan film until he stops drowning out the dialog with his soundtracks. He started doing that with "Dark Knight Returns" and it ruins his films.

Dead wrong I was! Actually I will probably respect your reviews of animation more, given that those viewing choices were entirely yours and not due to the inveigling wheedling or foot stomping of small parasitic creatures. I will see and review the latest Nolan, hoping he can find some redemption by the genre change. Also the cast of Oppenheimer is like a bunch of actors I much like. His previous film, Tenet, I just couldn't watch, and the plot looked like incoherent temporal pretzels that suggested to me hypercaffeinated writers trying to one-up each other rather than tell a human story.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:09 am Reply with quote
War Pony is a fascinating story of coming of age on the Pine Ridge. Solid first film from director Riley Keough. Partly filmed on the rez, with some non-professional actors among the cast. Good double feature with Chloe Zhao's The Rider, which was praised here a few years ago.