Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

gromit
Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
Having seen most of the Criterion Collection (except probably releases from the last 2 or 3 years) I could give some recs from the main line and the Eclipse series if anyone is interested.

I'll try to drop some titles and brief reviews when I have a chance.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote

Last edited by gromit on Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:25 am; edited 3 times in total

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Grace.....Criterion has everything now. Except new releases. Every month there are films that leave. For a while I found a lot of films from the 30’s that I really liked. Every month there are new special features. Great directors from India, Japan, France, Germany. One actor : Gena Rowland’s, Joan Crawford. More than I can keep up with. Try it again.

Thank you for the update, Befade. If I can get back to watching movies sometime -- gotta change jobs, this one is ridiculous -- I may give it another try.
Befade
Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The pandemic has got me watching movies every night.

Gromit.....the Criterion channel doesn’t just have the Criterion films. Lots of others.

I like Hulu more than Netflix. I’ve been watching a lot of the really good Oscar nominees on it: Billie Holliday vs. the United States, Quo Vadis Aida, Another Round. And now The Mole Agent from Chile. Someone younger than I would probably be more amused. It takes place in a old folks home. I could be eligible for such a place in 10 years. Scary.

And it is a documentary. The real old folks.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:33 pm Reply with quote
El Topo!

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, just a brief flashback to those halcyon days when surrealist films like The Mole were chatted about here.

Seriously, El Agente Topo sounds muy interesante. Though I'm still breezing through (ha!) that life phase of late middle age where I deftly avoid contemplating old folks homes.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
It’s a pretty good movie. On second thought, that might be a good location for a final romantic interlude. ☺️

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Bo Gia (Dad I'm Sorry) is a sprawling Vietnamese dramedy about an extended, mostly dysfunctional family, and one brother who is entirely too self-sacrificing, his son who is turning very successful on YouTube, and an adopted daughter (Aquay, in a very good juvenile performance) I came close to walking out about ten minutes in but came across some compelling scenes and stuck it out. Very sprawling, some very good performances (including a seamstress friend of our protagonist who is an obvious love interest, or would be if he wasn't so reluctant make her have to brave his relatives), and in sore need of an editor. This is one of the biggest box office hits in Vietnamese history, perhaps the biggest, which means either it resonates in their culture, or there isn't much competition.

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:45 am Reply with quote

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
The Nest is kind of shallow as it takes on the classic theme of how the pursuit of wealth and status may rot your soul and alienate your family, yet I found its composition haunting and performances outstanding -- Carrie Coon and Jude Law show what familial disintegration looks like in a way that's pretty unsettling and quite compelling to watch. The use of ominous horror movie tropes (like the newly buried corpse of a thoroughbred that's working its way to the surface) in a movie that's not really of the horror genre, kept me in considerable suspense as to how much they would crumble.

Released September 2020, so posting this in Current due to the time lags getting to a lot of screens.

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
The Sparks Brothers are Russell and Ron Mael who have performed as a duo since 1967 and have recently released or are about to release their 26th album (including one live album and a collaboration with Franz Ferdinand). The movie covers their entire career through the time the movie was shot, is quirky, funny, and tracks a career that has lots of ups and downs. (They're currently on an up, with two straight #7 albums. Not bad since they're now in their seventies.) You don't really get complete songs, which is too bad because I would have liked to see more of the one with Jane Wiedlin, "Cool Places". You don't learn much of their life out of their music, though Russell and Jane were apparently an item for a while, which I think shows good taste on both their parts.

Interestingly, they were about to do a film with Jacques Tati, which fell through when Tati died.

Nope, I'd never heard of them.

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
By the way, the Warren Theatre in Moore, Oklahoma is unfortunately now a Regal, but does have an real Imax (which I haven't used lately) and some theaters with heated seats that lean back and are worth a few extra dollars. Unfortunately the restaurant lost its original menu which was the reason I frequented the restaurant. They once had a hamburger where the buns were grilled cheese sandwiches. If you're willing to die from a heart attack, this is how to go.

It's where I saw "The Sparks Brothers," and if a theater is willing to take a chance with a documentary about a band few Americans have heard of, I have a lot of respect for them. (And they're still running "Bo Gia," in Vietnamese, which gives me even more respect and appreciation of their desperation.

This is why I'm suddenly doing more film reviews. I'm drinking up after a long trek through the desert. Next up is "In the Heights," which looks really good, and apparently is.

Also getting a lot of previews. I have no idea why Steven Spielberg thought a remake of "West Side Story" was desirable; it's one of those films that will immediately fall into the memory hole, like the remake of "Psycho," or the live-action remake of "Ben-Hur." But it looks a thousand times better than the new Boss Baby film. Somebody actually thought the world needed this, or the previous film for that matter.

The Regal in Norman is still closed though it should have reopened by now. I may have to rely on Netflix.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
I hope you enjoy In the Heights as much as we did.

An excellent adaptation for the screen, amazing cast, beautiful location shooting, exciting choreography. What Bernstein and Sondheim did for the West Side, Miranda has done for Washington Heights, and the people that call it home (even when they're not sure it's home). Indeed, Miranda is far more successful IMO at telling us a story about a specific place and the whole multigenerational range of people that truly makes a neighborhood, and giving us a window into what their dreams were about.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, we have heavy thunderstorms predicted today so it may have to be another day. Driving though several inches of water is not a good thing.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The storms didn't happen, so I saw In The Heights. I had trouble with the dialogue, which is all sung (and well sung), and I wasn't actually sure how some people were related, but it has a vivid sense of place and tells a great story of how communities bond together. There are no villains here, at least within the community. Stay through the credits, for there's a cute post-credits scene.