Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

carrobin
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Befade wrote:
I started watching it and was not only turned off by the opening sex scene but the dominance of the f word...

I would advise not watching Goodfellas, TBL, "Deadwood, " or "Ozark, " then. (unless you are objecting more to the context of the f word than the mere fact of its use) (my standard is that strong language has to be a plausible fit for a given character profile)

Which reminds me of "Midnight Run," in which Robert De Niro used the word so imaginatively and in so many ways (verb, noun, adjective, etc.) that it was hilarious. It usually only bugs me when overused, but his overuse was downright classic.
Syd
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Then there's the opening scene of Four Weddings and a Funeral which sets some sort of record and gets very funny.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Here’s my problem with the f word in Palm Springs: Every time the day starts over Sarah says F—- how about a little bit more creative speech like: crap, shit, GDI, damn, gee wiz, gosh darn, golly gee, and my favorite: dang nam it.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I was in Malta in late February (right when the Italy virus outbreak was occurring) and we stopped in a pub that shows free movies via dvd. 1st floor was showing Benjamin Button; 2nd floor Pulp Fiction. So I made sure we went up to PF. I just wanted to avoid the long boring BB. Then as soon as the film started, the Tarantino f-bombs flew. And I looked over at my near-80 year old mother, who used to teach primary school and is the type who never curses and actually says Sugar instead of Shit. And I thought Uh-oh. After about 10+ minutes I asked if they wanted to leave.

But we stuck it out and my mother enjoyed the film a good deal. She almost never sees films. She reads tons of murder mystery books in which all sorts of horrible crimes are committed and whatnot. She just doesn't like bad words. Mom really liked the adrenaline shot in the heart scene. I never asked her what she thought about the gimp ...

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
China just reopened movie theaters this week. I think at 35% capacity.

The Shanghai Film Festival is a go from July 25 - Aug 2. Likely one of the very few live film festivals this year. Here's the schedule: http://www.siff.com/app/scheduleList.php?lg=english

This is what appeals so far (I'm unfamiliar with most of the actual new films).

D W Griffith's Way Down East (1920) is playing. I assume that means it has been restored. That's pretty exciting to me.

King of Jazz

Distant Journey - a 1950 Czech film about Nazis.

Undine - the new Petzold film

There's also a film about the life of a famous Finnish painter Helene Schjerfbeck from the first half of the 20th C. I just looked at a few dozen of her paintings and they are interesting (mostly self-portraits or girl's faces).
I'd never heard of her.

I'd really like to see the Griffith. And if I could also get to the Petzold and King of Jazz on a big screen ...

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The blockbuster that Hollywood was counting on to jump-start a COVID-19 delayed summer movie season won't be busting blocks anytime soon. Christopher Nolan's sci-fi thriller Tenet, originally announced for a July 17 opening, and pushed back twice, has now been removed from the Warner Bros release calendar, in a major blow to film exhibitors.

"We will share a new 2020 release date imminently for Tenet, Christopher Nolan's wholly original and mind-blowing feature," said Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich in a statement.

Director Nolan — whose blockbusters Inception, Dunkirk and the Batman Dark Knight Trilogy have made billions on the big screen — has been adamant that his $200-million thriller would be the tent-pole that would hold up the summer movie-going tent....

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/20/893299116/christopher-nolans-sci-fi-thriller-tenet-delayed-indefinitely

I thought theaters might open here sooner due to being in a non hot-spot out in the big empty. But the main company is keeping it's multiplex shut down. A smaller regional company is showing reruns of older movies on a few screens with seating widely spaced at something like one-third capacity. We haven't felt moved to try that.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I love Petzold’s films. I’m going to have to check that out. Enjoy!

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh my! I saw the show of the Finnish painter’s work in September in London. I had never heard of her either. And now a film! I have the book from the exhibit. She did those self portraits up until her death......and you can see her drifting away.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:12 am Reply with quote
The film is simply entitled Helene directed by Antti J. Jokinen

Here's the SIFF synopsis:

Quote:
1915. Helene Schjerfbeck is a forgotten artist living in the countryside with her elderly mother. Years have passed since her last exhibition, and Helene has continued to paint only for her own passion. Everything changes when an art dealer discovers Helene and her 159 amazing paintings and wants to organize a large solo exhibition.

However, the most important moment in Helene’s life is brought on by her encounter with Einar Reuters. Einar is a forester and a passionate admirer of Helene and her art. He becomes Helene’s confidant and the tragic love of her life. Inspired by true events, HELENE describes the life of Finlands’ most acclaimed painter Helene Schjerfbeck between 1915-1923.

I wonder if the Spanish Flu makes a cameo.
I like her more haunted paintings of stern sad Scandinavian faces (including of course her own). Below a 1915 self portrait with black background, and one from her younger days. The 1942 self-portrait is of the very haunted variety, but it's size really messed with the page format, so you have to click through to see that one (worth it).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Helene_Schjerfbeck_-_self_portrait_1942.jpg

https://parvs.fi/site/assets/files/1562/gpt_2_schjerfbeck_1200.1920x0.jpg

And here's a bing search of images so you can see a whole mess of her paintings at once: https://cn.bing.com/images/search?q=Helene+Schjerfbeck&form=HDRSC2&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover&cw=1117&ch=393

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes, she was a brilliant artist especially with portraits. Great sense of color and good at distilling subjects down to their essence. She got around. Didn’t just stay with her mother in Finland. Went to Russia, Paris, Austria. Lived in England. Studied and copied other artists. Is the film a documentary?

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You can see touches of Picasso in some of her works, and I was thinking of Egon Schiele, mostly for the series of self-portraits. But Schjerfbeck has her own style incorporating elements of others.

I haven't yet read anything about her life, just looked at some paintings.
The film is based on events in her life during her period of being discovered.
With artistic and dramatic license.

I like how most countries have their own famous artist or writer who is little known in the West. I went to the Caucasus recently and discovered Nico Pirosmani, a primitivist painter from Georgia who is revered as their great painter, though he was little known in his lifetime. Famous for capturing folk scenes of the Old World -- he died in 1918.

Some of them remind me of some Mexican paintings/style.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote
So the first theatrical film release since covid shut things down will be... a road rage movie with Russell Crowe?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
The new Chloe Zhao film is entitled Nomadland.
Frances McDormand loses everything in the Bush Depression and embarks on a journey through the American West living as a van-dwelling modern-day nomad. David Strathairn also in the film.
Would have been doing the film festivals if they didn't get short-circuited.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:21 am Reply with quote
I have to keep promising myself to avoid "Tenet" no matter how much critics may rave. Christopher Nolan is tied with Terrence Malick as my least favorite film director, living or dead. "Inception" and "Interstellar" and "Dunkirk" are three of the most excruciating movie experiences I can remember, and even "Memento" is no more than tolerable for me.
bartist
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
A lot of what's good about Memento comes from Jonathan, his brother, who wrote the short story "Memento Mori," on which the film was based. I liked Jonathan when I corresponded with him at a writer's workshop (online) we both attended in the late 90s. As I may have mentioned he borrowed the concept of the memory problem (Korsakoff's Syndrome) from a story I had written there, and the title from another story I wrote which had no relation to his "Memento Mori," but he liked the use of that Latin phrase.

So, possibly, my angel Clarence, if I were to wish I hadn't existed, would show me a world where "Memento" was never made. And slightly less carbon would be in the air, etc.