Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
gromit--Agree about Scruggs and BlackKK. Green Book and Beale Street were good, not great. HATED Bohemian Rhapsody and was profoundly disappointed by Sorry to Bother You. No desire to see Isle of Dogs. I am finished with Wes Anderson. Still haven't seen--but fully intend to see--Eighth Grade and Tully.

Betsy--I thought Us more than delivered the goods in the scare department, had a lot to say about where we are as a polarized country in the era of tRump, and was brilliantly acted by Lupita Nyong'o.

Btw, though Get Out was not really a horror film, Us is.
gromit
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
fully intend to see--Eighth Grade and Tully.

8th Grade is worth seeing.
It's fairly uneven.
The Father's role is terribly written and acted. And from the extras seems modeled on the director.
But there were a number of good elements too.
I ended up liking what it was trying to do more than what it did.
But I know a few folks who rave about it.

Tully was fine, but didn't really involve me enough.
Reasonably solid but lacking, imo.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
Green Book was well-made and effective. It didn't try to do too much. And it suffers from being a white guy's story about a black guy's story.

Sorry to Bother You was fairly sloppy, but at least interesting. It reminded me of District 9.

I didn't like Beale St. My review is here

Last edited by gromit on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
A good film about horsemanship.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
A good film about horsemanship.

Am I missing a joke here?
knox
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
No, just a pun. The film has "equisapiens," i.e. horse-men creatures that result from genetic engineering.
Befade
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Billy....Yes, Lupita and the husband were great. I guess I don’t warm up to scares, good or not. I see the class difference and the rebel’s in red but I don’t see any great insight into the times of tRump. Wesley Morris compared it to the movie and book, Beloved.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Billy....Yes, Lupita and the husband were great. I guess I don’t warm up to scares, good or not. I see the class difference and the rebel’s in red but I don’t see any great insight into the times of tRump. Wesley Morris compared it to the movie and book, Beloved.

I've never read or seen Beloved, though I hear the book is great, not the movie so much. Should have mentioned Winston Duke as the husband in Us. He found just the right balance of dork and hero and provided wonderful comic relief. Love Lupita's line, "I can't believe you just referenced Home Alone."
carrobin
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
During the 20+ years I attended/worked for the film class, I saw hundreds of movies, many of which barely made an impression, but so many that I loved and never would have seen (or even heard of) otherwise. The rock-star drama "Stardust" made me a fan of Adam Faith; "Romauld et Juliette" became my favorite French film (it didn't attract any attention here because some idiot renamed it "Mama, There's a Man in Your Bed" for the USA release); "Romeo and Juliet" made me appreciate the acting ability of cats; "The Parallax View" still haunts. Some, like "Midnight Run" and "Smile," remain favorites, and I watch them every time they show up on TV. I could go to the movies every weekend now, but I never do--I don't even watch Netflix or Amazon much, although I depend on this forum to keep me informed about what's worth the time. Maybe when I retire to South Carolina...
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
During the 20+ years I attended/worked for the film class, I saw hundreds of movies, many of which barely made an impression, but so many that I loved and never would have seen (or even heard of) otherwise. The rock-star drama "Stardust" made me a fan of Adam Faith; "Romauld et Juliette" became my favorite French film (it didn't attract any attention here because some idiot renamed it "Mama, There's a Man in Your Bed" for the USA release); "Romeo and Juliet" made me appreciate the acting ability of cats; "The Parallax View" still haunts. Some, like "Midnight Run" and "Smile," remain favorites, and I watch them every time they show up on TV. I could go to the movies every weekend now, but I never do--I don't even watch Netflix or Amazon much, although I depend on this forum to keep me informed about what's worth the time. Maybe when I retire to South Carolina...

I was disappointed in The Parallax View, though it served as a starter film for Alan J. Pakula, whose brilliance exploded in All the President's Men. I enjoyed Midnight Run immensely. But...

Smile. Now we are talking. One of my all-time favorite films, undersung as all get-out and brilliant beyond beiief. Came out the same year (1975) as Nashville, also about a subculture (teenage beauty pageants as opposed to Nashville's country music), and IMO even better than the Altman classic. Astonishing performances by Bruce Dern and Michael Kidd. Also Barbara Feldon, Geoffrey Lewis, Annette O'Toole, and others. Inspired direction by Michael Ritchie. Hilarious, touching, trenchant, profound. This movie has it all.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
The only guest we had from "Smile" was the head of advertising, and he alienated the whole class when he revealed that their theme would be "Will she go all the way?" featuring the various beauty contestants. It was so far from the film's themes that everyone groaned. I think someone asked if he'd seen the movie. Fortunately, that idea was apparently left on the advertising room floor.
Befade
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Billy.....Wesley and his copodcaster said they revisited the movie Beloved and said it definitely deserved a second viewing.

I just got the streaming Criterian Channel. They had a flock of Agnes Varda films. I have seen Vagabond and Faces, Places. Any suggestions for next viewing?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Gleaners and I, and Cleo from 5 to 7

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Syd.....I remember I did see Cleo. But not The Gleaners. I’ll check and see if that’s included.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize that Visages, Villages was known in English as Faces, Places.
Nice film.

Definitely check out Gleaners. Characteristic of Varda able to make a simple mundane subject lively and interesting and important. With her genius for inserting herself in the proceedings. Less essential, she made a follow-up Gleaners film a couple years later.

La Pointe Courte (1954) is considered the first French New Wave film. A relationship film with an experimental flair to it.

Beaches of Agnes is later Varda, somewhat in the mold of Faces Places. Public art installations. Not as coherent, but nice.

She also made two films about her late husband Jacques Demy: The World of Jacques Demy & Jacques de Nantes. Worth checking one out. The former is a career retrospective doc; the latter a biopic.