Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Ghulam
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
"Crazy Rich Asians" lays on a lot of gloss and glitz to tell a very hackneyed story. No wonder the Singapore Chinese are not amused.

Befade
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Gromit.......I had a completely different reaction to The Insult. I thought it was one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. Subtitles were good. The interview with the director gave further details and appreciation for who he is. I wish there were more films like this. I tend to like dramas that feature interactions between people. And in the case of this film......highlighting the kind of prejudice and misunderstanding between people. Especially potent in this time of acute differences between people. This film achieves an avenue to understanding of “the other”.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Even if you don't see many movies these days, this is one you definitely Should. Not. Miss.

Saw BlacKkKlansman, the new Spike Lee "joint," and I'd venture to say it's his best movie ever--certainly on a par with his other "bests" (Do the Right Thing, He Got Game, 25th Hour) and IMO better than any of them. It's a true story (first black policeman on the Colorado Springs polilce force infiltrates Ku Klux Klan) and a powerful one with strong contemporary resonance. A great cast responds to Lee's impeccable direction. I've disliked more Spike Lee films than I've liked, but when they're good they can be truly great--and here, for my money, is Exhibit A.

I liked it for things you and Syd and Ghulam mention, and I liked it for small touches where the director resists the temptations of caricature. Duke's relatively mild racism (compared to the rawer spew from the local chapter) - as when he asks Ron if his Polaroid will come out okay - is all the more chilling as it comes with Topher Grace's charm and gentility. It's the gentlemen you really have to watch out for. I also admired the chubby wife's performance - showing a woman who really just wants to be loved and will push beyond what you sense were once moral boundaries to be part of her husband's life. Sick and weird and always fascinating.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Gromit.......I had a completely different reaction to The Insult. I thought it was one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. Subtitles were good. The interview with the director gave further details and appreciation for who he is. I wish there were more films like this. I tend to like dramas that feature interactions between people. And in the case of this film......highlighting the kind of prejudice and misunderstanding between people. Especially potent in this time of acute differences between people. This film achieves an avenue to understanding of “the other”.

I think folks who liked A Separation should give The Insult a try. I still think they crammed too many conflicts into the picture, and for me they weren't subtle or convincing. And tried too hard to amp up the drama/conflict. While I had trouble engaging since both sides of the conflict were off-putting, intentionally so it seemed.

I'm sure the subtitle deficiencies were merely a Chinese pirate artifact, but it really was a weird exercise to convert pronouns as dialogue was ongoing.

If you like ME cultural clashes, try the 20 minute film West Bank Story, a musical parody of West Side Story and the ME conflict.
It's worth watching for the Hummus Hut's kebab hats alone.
Their rival the Kosher King is next door and they sing and dance and disparage and hate and fall in Looooove ...

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
Gromit......The filmmaker was influenced by a lot of other courtroom films. Particularly The Verdict. I thought it swung back and forth, adding details, and resolving the situation in a positive way that was not a Hollywood ending.

I thought BlackK had a rather jovial tone until the ending. Jovial at pulling the thing off with some mounting suspense about whether it would succeed. The actual news clips at the end sharply contrasted with that tone.....emphasizing that this actually was no laughing matter. That didn’t jell for me. I think a more telling revelation is everything I’ve heard about the museum highlighting the lynching that went on in this country. That is a punch in the gut.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I found that a flaw in the movie, too. But the image that ends the main part of the movie fits in well and maybe should have been the final shot of the movie. It fits (since our main characters are there) and takes place in the time period of the movie.

The beginning works pretty well.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
What was the main image?

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking about the cross burning,

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote

This is an interesting list to say the least, including a number of my favorite films (Boyhood, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, You Can Count on Me, Michael Clayton) and a few that I absolutely loathed (There Will Be Blood, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Dunkirk).
bartist
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Crazy Rich Asians is surprisingly fun for a trite wedding comedy, thanks to some good performances.
And the sky candy of Singapore is pretty to look at.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought of it as "My Big Fat Singapore Wedding," though it was actually their friends' wedding. I had dewy eyes at the wedding ceremony. It was lovely, if pretty damp. (My favorite along those lines is the beautiful wedding in "Monsoon Wedding," which is not even the wedding that was being planned in the movie.)

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

This is an interesting list to say the least, including a number of my favorite films (Boyhood, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, You Can Count on Me, Michael Clayton) and a few that I absolutely loathed (There Will Be Blood, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Dunkirk).

I wasn't very engaged with Dunkirk, but surprised anybody could actually loathe it. It seemed mostly competent.

I thought Will be Blood was somewhat boring with a ridiculous over the top ending.

I quite like Eternal Sunshine, even if it doesn't fully come off.

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought There Will Be Blood went completely off the rails with Plainview him raving "baby in a basket" at HW and never recovered. The ending is awful.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
I'll drink your milkshake of TWBB loathing.

I liked Eternal Sunshine for its reach, even if the grasp was imperfect. Too much sci-fi is just space opera or CGI monsters, so I'm always happy when the Industry turns out something that looks at the implications of technologies that are less flashy but probably more significant to how ordinary people will live their lives. Once in a while they make a sci-fi movie that is not tailored specifically for 15 year old boys who like to watch things get vaporized. And so I want to encourage that.