3. I Am Not Your Negro
4. 3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Mo
5. Marshall
6. Coco

7. Dunkirk
8. The Big Sick
9. Lady Bird
10. The Other Side of Hope

Hope seemed like they had a sketch of an idea about making a film about Syrian immigrants in Finland, and then mostly improvised it. I got a bit tired of all the blank non-reacting faces. Could ahve been interesting if they worked up a real script.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see The Florida Project in first place. The Oscars certainly ignored this film. I suspect I know why. The director makes films with his iPhone. His last film featured transsexual prostitution. Maybe the film wasn't promoted because of money? Maybe the film was too off the conventional grid. Whatever. I'm going to look forward to whatever Sean Baker does next.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Darkest Hour was fairly good.
I liked seeing the political intrigue, with Chamberlain and Lord Halifax plotting to bring down new PM Churchill. And the rather awkward role of King. It's also good to recall that there was a peace movement in the UK (and the US) even as Hitler was gobbling up Western Europe.

Using a new secretary as an entry point seems rather well-worn, but at least they didn't overdo that and kept the attention on Churchill. The film is basically the prequel to the evacuation, so would make a good double bill with Dunkirk.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The secretary in the movie didn't start working for Churchill until 1941, but he obviously had a secretary at the time of the movie. They probably used the other one since she wrote a well-known book of her experiences.

From the look of it, Clement Attlee was more loyal to Churchill then the leaders of Churchill's own party.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Not sure if it's me or the films, but can't think of another year where I'm so ambivalent/unwilling to try out new films.
The Post -- I can't generate enthusiasm, and dislike Streep.
The Shape of Water sounds dopey. Maybe I should learn more about it.
I, Tonya -- I'll probably get to this. But could easily skip it and still have a full life.
Suburbicon -- nearly bought it tonight but haven't heard one good thing about it, and the dvd cover was crappy to boot. Went with Darkest Hour instead.
OKJA -- looks kind of annoying.
Loveless -- husband/wife bickering in Russia

Just saw Shape of H2O - not dopy. A splendid allegorical tale of love and xenophobia. If you liked Pan's Lab. you may like TSoW. Intense performances....Michael Shannon's villain had my copain wanting to crawl under her seat.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get past staring at Gary Oldman's chin in Darkest Hour. Where did that come from. Churchill came across as a doddering old drunk. For best actor I much prefer Denzel Washington. [/img]

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Not sure if it's me or the films, but can't think of another year where I'm so ambivalent.....

I, Tonya -- I'll probably get to this. But could easily skip it and still have a full life.

With respect, I disagree: your life will be less than full if you skip Tonya. See my film squawk today.

I don't know if you can see it in a theater, but some of the cinematog is well-served by the biggish screen.

[/b]

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Only three movies this year in my pantheon, though I liked several others. The top three, in order:

1) Phantom Thread. PTA's best since Boogie Nights, and completely different from BN in every conceivable way. Daniel Day-Lewis gives his best performance ever (I'm a devout non-fan of his, so take that however you want). Lesley Manville is great in a Mrs. Danvers (Rebecca) type role. But best of all is the mind-blowing performance (in the leading role) of Vicky Krieps, a Luxembourg native whose nuance, charm, and overall brilliance are dazzling. She wins the "Naomi Watts Mulholland Dr. award for Best Performance of the Year in any category that went un-nominated for Oscar."

2) Get Out. Jordan Peele's one-of-a-kind social message horror movie is indelible.

3) The Big Sick. Best--and most original--romantic comedy in years and years. Wonderful performances by a great ensemble.

Honorable mentions to Call Me by Your Name and I, Tonya.

Most Overrated movies: Dunkirk and Lady Bird.
Syd
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Black Panther is an interesting addition to the superhero movie genre with its strong roots in African culture, from its accents (mainly Xhosa, but at least two others to reflect the five tribes from which Wakanda originated), architecture (extrapolated to show what you get when high-tech culture is derived from central African roots) and a culture which is partly modern and partly a millennium old. Very well acted as you might expect from a cast that includes Chadwick Boseman (Marshall), Lupita Nyong'o, Angela Bassett, Daniel Kaluuya and Forest Whitaker, not to mention Martin Freeman as the token white. Relative unknown Letitia Wright plays the Panther's teenage sister and one of the few inventors in the Marvel universe who is smarter than Tony Stark. She has very good chemistry with Freeman.

The main plot involves dynastic and political issues, with Michael B. Jordan playing T'Challa's first cousin with his own claim to the throne and very different ambitions for Wakanda's superior technology.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
My top five were The Post, Get Out, Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread and The Richest Man in The World, all superseded by a number of documentaries that nobody saw.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
"Black Panther" has received rave reviews and is breaking box-office records. The effort by the Afro-American crew is noteworthy and the movie's resonance with Afro-American audiences is the news of the day. The surprising juxtaposition of a technologically advanced African society with fairy-tale dynastic rule may raise some eyebrows. The visual splendor and the super-hero theme are akin to the "extravaganzas" made by some South Indian movie moguls. The results are equally uninteresting.

Apart from that I agree with Syd's assessment.

Last edited by Ghulam on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
As usual, I fail to formulate a ranked list, but am glad Inlawrence and Weeds have recognized Get Out. If I were wont to make a list, originality would be the theme of 2017, with films like I Tonya, Big Sick, Shape of h20, and Get Out all coming at life from a slightly different angle.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
My top five were The Post, Get Out, Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread and The Richest Man in The World, all superseded by a number of documentaries that nobody saw.

Which docs?

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
If nobody saw them, then their titles are unknown....it's related to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:

Which docs?

Wormwood, The Life and Death of Marsha P. Johnson, Ex Libris: The New York Public Library, One of Us, City of Ghosts.

bartist wrote:
If nobody saw them, then their titles are unknown....it's related to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

And then, there's THAT. LOL