Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

lshap
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Lissa,

Great review! I just saw the film this afternoon with family & kids and everyone else's kids, it seems.

What a blast! I kept imagining the writers typing away on their sixth pitcher of beer, each one-upping each other with another fairy-tale in-joke, "Waitaminnut waitaminnut! What if the Fairy Godmother was a total bitch!? HEEheehee!!!"

I'll check to see if you copied your review into the Film Review forum.
marantzo
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:35 pm Reply with quote
lissa, have you forgotten about me?

You should have posted your review in the review section. That's the showcase.
ehle64
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It definitely belongs in there. Thanks for the spoiler-free review, lissa!!

p.s. I'm dying to know just what it is that makes Pinnochio's nose grow!

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, guys, I didn't know the rules, it's my first review in these here parts...I'll c&p it to the Review section.

Neighbor, thanks for the compliments! It is a great film, isn't it? We saw it Saturday night, the 7:30 show, and it wasn't too bad in terms of chatter. In fact, it was wonderful in its respectful aura.

There IS a Shrek 3 coming out, but something like 3 years down the road. How will we survive??!!!

Does make me appreciate the incredible work it takes to create these masterpieces.

marantzo, haven't forgotten you, oh Orange one...haven't been able to touch graphics for having to referee kids this weekend. Tomorrow they're back in school and I'll be happily creating. That goes for poker, and Mel too, btw.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
ehle,

You're gonna love every minute of it...and Pinocchio...well, let's just put it this way...

Naw, I'll leave you guessing *grins*

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Kudos Lissa on a great Shrek 2 review. I really really want to see it now. I love Mike Myers' humor (although he probably didn't write it). If it weren't for this damn double overtime work!

(not really I take it back I like double overtime please don't hurt me)

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Mel! BTW, even if Myers didn't write it, his portrayal is dynamic, and to me, it takes a special person to be able to make a character like Shrek come to life the way he does. It is his delivery, his sense of timing, his voice, the accent, the facial expressions (no doubt about the creativity of talented animators, they DO observe the voice providers and emulate their mannerisms), his entire demeanor which make the writers' words come to life and give those words the humor. Anyone can speak words. But Myers, Murphy, Banderas and company...they make those words FUNNY and ALIVE.

BTW, the review is now posted in the Review section. See, Neighbor/Site Admin/Big Brother? I'm a good girl, I am!

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
BTW, the review is now posted in the Review section. See, Neighbor/Site Admin/Big Brother? I'm a good girl, I am!

Lissa,

Your more than that. You happen to be an excellent reviewer! Thanks to you and Lorne it sounds as if this movie is better than the original. But most important ... I read your review with fasination.

Great Job!
chillywilly
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Lisa,

Great review of Shrek 2. I loved the first movie and I'm already planning on going to see S2 in the next week or so. But your review made me wish I had time to see it sooner.

I'll be sure to post my review as well once I see it, but I had to say your review is right on the mark for building excitement without giving away the entire plot.

Again, great job and I look forward to reading more reviews.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Lissa,

Truely superb review, which I didn't catch until it poped up on the Third Eye Reviews page. I've never seen the first Shrek, but I'll proably end up seeing the sequel soon. Thanks.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
Since I absolutely loathed the original "Shrek," I have no desire to see more of the same in "Shrek 2." The original was crude and heavy-handed in its message and IMO unimaginative graphically. My idea of a great recent animated film is "Finding Nemo," which harks back to the days of sentiment and good storytelling in animation. "Shrek" reeks of postmodernism; it tries to have it both ways--cute for the kids and smart-assed for the parents. Doesn't work for me. But I'm clearly in the minority here, so enjoy, enjoy.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
Finding Nemo was wonderful. In fact, we have it around somewhere on DVD (for my nieces when they come to visit). Think I have to go find it.
Marj
Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Shrek" reeks of postmodernism; it tries to have it both ways--cute for the kids and smart-assed for the parents. Doesn't work for me. But I'm clearly in the minority here, so enjoy, enjoy.

billy,

I don't think your in the minority at all. What I think most of us are reacting to, is the quality off Lissa's review. Based upon that, and here I can only speak for myself, the movie sounds like a lot more fun than the original.

I much preferred Finding Nemo to the original Shreck. Indeed if if memory serves that was the concensus back on the old forums. Once again, a good reason for achiving.

I do wish, when I say "If memory serves," it served me better. <sigh>
lshap
Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Billy -- Sorry, I can't fathom your argument against Shrek at all.

I understand your dislike of stories that try to shuffle between target audiences -- courting kids while winking at adults like some bipolar bigamist -- but Shrek struck me as clearly aimed at adults.

Sure, the subject matter is fairy tales, but they're used as adult-bait. The characters are all decades old and classic, appealing to OUR childhood references rather than any from today. There's not a current trend to be found -- no Barney the Dinosaur, no Elmo.

Shrek himself is a cranky, selfish ogre voiced by Michael Myers, and the part of annoying talking animal is voiced by Eddie Murphy.

That's adult all the way, IMO.

Even the moral of the story is a tweaking of classic fairy tale endings from yesterday, appealing to yesterday's youth who have become today's adults.

Being animated doesn't automatically designate it as being "For Kids" anymore than real-life films like "The Wizard Of Oz" or "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" are assumed to be "For Adults".

In fact, I can't think of a single element in Shrek that was constructed for children. The dialogue, the characters, the jokes, all were built upon our adult reference database. The merchandising is aimed at kids, that's true, but so is everything from Spiderman to Michael Jordan.

The whole film is a huge spoof of all the Disney stuff we grew up with, a modern fairy tale expressly written for us. Lucky for us parents, kids also dig it because it's so wonderfully fun to look at.
Haiku
Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I agree on Finding Nemo - I found it dull and just pretty to look at. A nice bauble, but no mas. However, I watched it after watching Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro, which are, IMO, wonderful animated films that make others pale in comparison (not necessarily with respect to the animation itself - completely different styles, and I'm not commenting on that aspect at all).