Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Don't know how that last post of mine got so screwed up. Tried fixing it three times and it always came out wrong.
bartist
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
....As for me, any chance to see Ruffalo is worth taking, especially when he gets to lip-synch "Luck Be a Lady" and "For Once in My Life."

I like Ruffalo and he is unshaven in at least 50% of his film roles.

Sub'd to Hulu+ today. Some catching up to do, and will no doubt be combing the Couch thread here for ideas.

Got all the furniture into our 1903 house, a 12 hour drive in a 30 ft. UHaul truck with bad suspension that was so heavily loaded it would only do 40 mph on any incline. Loading and unloading left me with an inflamed tendon in one arm, and a locked up wrist in the other...making vows to (a) never do this again, and (b), if I violate (a) then will hire pros to do everything. Don't know if Begin Again will make it to Stixville, but will Hulu it when it arrives on the net.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
"The Fault in Their Stars" watches like a précis of the book (or a 'don't drop the ball' moneterisation). Like many 'faithful' adaptations, the pacing is wrong, in that it's too even - the key moments are rushed and too much time given to exposition or elements that could have been pruned. Similarly, with the tone - it never got dark or dangerous when it needed too. I’d admit that as it wore on, I couldn't wait for it too finish.

On the understanding that it was YA fiction, I enjoyed the book, but the adaptation doesn't seem to have captured its essence. - the gallows humour, the smarts, the sense of foreboding and the joy and surprise of snatched love - or found an alternative cinematic life of its own. "The film is an honest effort, but sweet and insipid to the point of soullessness. Meh!

**˝

Last edited by jeremy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Syd
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I rather enjoyed Hercules, and had no problem with the acting at all. The script's messy, and I could swear that one of the titles says a scene takes place in 358 BC in Macedon. Maybe I misread it or they meant 1358 (which is a few hundred years before Macedon existed, but maybe they meant the location rather than the kingdom), which would be about right. The film's entertaining in a Scorpion King way and has some things to say about how legends come to be, though it doesn't dwell on that overmuch.

One unfortunate thing they do is show Hercules fighting the Nemean Lion, Lernian Hydra, and Caledonian Boar, which makes me realize how much I'd rather see the Labors of Hercules rather than this film. I'd even be happy to see Dwayne Johnson in the title role for that. Those, really, since it would take three films at least to do the Labors justice.

Last edited by Syd on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Great review, Jeremy. I've been holding off on the movie, thinking I should read the book first. Now I realize I'm making the right choice.

-Topher
Befade
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Hasn't anyone here seen Boyhood? Billy did. I just did. And I have to say "What are you waiting for?"

If you don't see another movie this year. If you never see another movie. If you can get out of bed in the morning. You will never have a better day than the day you see Boyhood. Now go!

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Every film nut I kno has gone lto some trouble to urge the viiewing of boyhood slrrt k cant get thjs fecjking keyboar towlrk for me tlonight. Woll see asap

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hey Bart, what did you do, borrow Whiskey's phone to make that post ...?

I've been hearing good things about Luc Besson's Lucy.
Believe I saw the dvd here last week.
So will give it a go if I find it.
Anyone familiar with it?

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Hasn't anyone here seen Boyhood? Billy did. I just did. And I have to say "What are you waiting for?"

If you don't see another movie this year. If you never see another movie. If you can get out of bed in the morning. You will never have a better day than the day you see Boyhood. Now go!

Couldn't have said it better myself. One of the best movies of my lifetime.
jeremy
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I've heard moderately good things about "Lucy", but I am seriously put off that it seems to be built-on the old saw about most people only using 10% of their brains. Not only has it been done before, it's rubbish...trying to think of an apt analogy...It's like saying...Somebody help me out here.

bartist
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Like saying that someone sitting down is only using ten pcent of their muscles to live?

We use all parts of the brain for different cognitive purposes at different times. The only way to "use 100 pcent" literally would be to think and remember everything all at once. I.e. madness and utter chaos.

yes, a silly old cliche.

Gromit, yes, was having a Whiskeypriest moment there. Total thumb failure.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/lucy-2014

Matt Seitz found some things to like about Lucy, but the minuses he describes made me feel it was best to WFV...

I like his observation that in a movie, the Terminator cant really be the lead role, I.e. an affectless robotic sort cant really be anything but supporting.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I saw “Megamind” on terrestrial TV yesterday; for some reason I’d not sat through all of it before. I was surprised to find myself liking it more than the generally more well-liked “Despicable Me.” I think the difference between the two films was that “Megamind” featured a genuinely empathetic character, whereas “Despicable Me” had the more inspired comedy. In this instance, I came down in favour of Megamind’s bildungsroman (and his round-eyed, MPDG love interest). It might sound a bit unworldly and revealing on my part, but I was quite taken by the keystone message of the film that circumstance and confounding voices can mislead us into believing we are someone different from our true selves. Megamind’s belated self-actualisation made me smile; the obligatory happy-ending not so mucn. I guess focus groups aren't into ambiguity. There are two types of people in this world, those who like closure and...

Last edited by jeremy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

bartist
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
Um, thanks.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Sharknado 2 this morning. Ridiculous and funny. It was on our Space network. [/b]