Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

marantzo
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I've never read Gone With the Wind, but I'm guessing that the movie was better than the book, even though the book was a big best seller.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Joe--Those three movies make an interesting trio. IMO by far the best of the is The Spectacular Now, which I did not compare with a book (didn't even know there was a book) but which I loved as a movie. Shailene Woodley was wonderful, but so were Miles Teller and Kyle Chandler, and the picture of teenage alcoholism was original and striking.

The Fault in Our Stars
succeeded by not losing the humor and by expertly balancing the romantic elements of the plot with the "cancer" elements. It was unabashedly commercial but on those terms worked remarkably well.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower was just (IMO) too twee and self-satisfied for words. I was shocked when it became a hit. If I were a teenager I think I would have been annoyed by the too-intellectual treatment of my age group. Plus the story was hard to believe from beginning to end.

Agree with you about Perks. I liked most of The Spectacular Now except for the "demonize the dad" and the "endlessly struggling but generous mom" dichotomy.

Will probably see The Fault in Our Stars.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess the conversation about movies that were better or worse than the book, should be in the couch section.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I've never read Gone With the Wind, but I'm guessing that the movie was better than the book, even though the book was a big best seller.

The book was terrific. The movie was too, but it trimmed down the plot a bit.
jeremy
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Clip from Sunshine on Leith, The Proclaimers jukebox musical, probably not coming to a cinema near you anytime soon. [May contain spoilers]

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
If you think about time travel too much, your head ill explode.

In the US, the warmer summer weather brings tornadoes and blockbusters and, regardless, of the weather or the season, the rest of the world has to hunker down too. It might be the depths of winter in Auckland, but no sooner than the multiplexes have hoovered-up the popcorn from back to back showings of Godzilla than “The Edge of Tomorrow” has blown into the town. The film is set in at some unstated juncture in the near future. Given the number science fictions films set in a future which is now our past and whose predictions have been proved to be somewhat out, it’s probably wise not to be move to be too specific. That said, much of the best science fiction stories are primarily a defamiliarisation of the present. Not that is particularly true of “The Edge of Tomorrow”, which is firmly planted at the action only end of the genre, where aliens provide a conveniently unsympathetic Other against which our shoot ‘em up heroes gain wage war. That doesn’t mean “The Edge of Tomorrow” is a bad film. In many ways, the film - a mash-up of tried and tested themes and tropes with a couple of name stars and the production values turned-up to eleven – represents Hollywood doing what it does best and doing it well.

I remember watching a documentary about the making of Elvis Costello’s album of country and western covers, “Almost Blue”. Elvis Costello and The Attractions had visions of making a pared down record with a back to roots feel, but this ambition was somewhat thwarted by the local musicians drafted to play on the play on the album and the famed local producer who couldn’t help, but shape it the way they knew. Listening to the playback of one track to which he had just added some layers of lush strings and syrupy backing vocals, the producer proudly announced, “Welcome to Nashville.”

Welcome to Hollywood. “The Edge of Tomorrow” is too big and good a film to be labelled a Tom Cruise vehicle, but obviously the producers felt it needed his guaranteed box office draw and action film credentials (I know, I don’t understand it either) to secure the project and make sure that, irrespective of reviews or word of mouth, the cinema seats wouldn’t get cold. In fairness to Cruise, he is not bad. Initially, the role he plays is something of a sleaze ball and a coward, a trait that, for some reason, has characterised many of his best performances. However, before long Tom is given a chance of redemption.

In fact, he is given multiple chances to redeem himself. Stuck in a “Groundhog Day” type time loop, repeatedly being sent in to battle to die, only to return to the same moment earlier in the day each time. Differently from “Groundhog Day”, this is part of some higher plan for him find himself or true love or to fuck Andie McDowell or live a perfect day, but rather to fight a perfect battle and save the day or die trying. In this, Cruise is assisted by a newly blonde and disconcertingly buff Emily Blunt. I’d swear she had bigger biceps than her co-star, though I think Tom may have had the bigger pecs. As part of the growing trend - the martial heroine seems to be the new black (police captain) - Blunt plays a steely, dedicated and highly decorated soldier, who as a result of her exploits has become the poster girl for the war effort.

Blunt gets to keep her English accent for the film. In an obvious World War II analogy, she is part an allied force based in England that is preparing to invade ‘continental’ Europe. A Europe which has been overrun by hive-minded, time manipulating, metallic looking, squid like aliens reminiscent of the sentinels from the Matrix films, with a little bit Aliens thrown in. Did I mention something about Hollywood re-cycling all the best ideas. It’s probably not a coincidence that the film’s release has coincided with the 70th anniversary of D-Day. As an aside, as our latter day invasion force was airborne, why did they feel impelled to land on the beaches? Surely, a resonance too far.

There is some on screen chemistry between Cruise and Blunt, though, that said, as far as I’m concerned, there’d be sexual tension between Blunt and a cup of cocoa. In “Groundhog Day”, Bill Murray had to start fresh each day and from a low base in his efforts to woo Andie McDowell. Similarly, in “The Edge of Tomorrow”, Cruise has a limited amount of time to make a good impression on Blunt, who, in contrast to the snowed in Andie McDowell, only has time for kicking alien butt anyway. Regardless, as Tom learns to be an effective soldier - dying horribly on a regular basis is a good motivator - and partners Blunt on ever lengthening forays into enemy territory, he begins to earn her respect and maybe something more. Unlike in some of Tom Cruise’s previous films, where a much younger woman is unable to resist our hero’s charms, I didn’t recoil when Cruise and Blunt eventually kiss. It felt like a more equal relationship, with anything Cruise being the more vulnerable and needy…And why shouldn’t an intelligent and beautiful thirty year old find a fifty-something man attractive?

“Oh, James!” Hands-up if you used to hate those moments in the dog days of the Bond films when a nubile lovely would swooningly fall into the arms of Roger Moore, say, often casting aside deep loyalties to do so, due to an implied sexual magnetism that just wasn’t visible on screen, and which, despite heaps of goodwill for the franchise, just couldn’t be inferred.

“The Edge of Tomorrow” has a neat, if gimmicky premise, it’s well put together and provides a better than average thrill ride. The overblown climax aside and differently from some films in the genre – yes, I’m talking to you Michael Bay – the film earns and rations its action scenes; they flow from the story. In fact the quieter moments are the best and the film is not devoid of knowing humour. But there is a but. The films build quality can’t hide the fact that overall, “The Edge of Tomorrow” is pretty thin and underpowered. Apart from Tom Cruise’s major and sudden leap from zero to hero, there is little in the way of character development or interaction. The film doesn’t attempt to be more than it says on the tin - a summer season crowd pleaser. If you want to see a knowing, meta- fantasy, action-adventure film with a diverse range of interesting characters, including a buff, blonde warrior-ess, who suffer adversity and experience growth, and that also features a great villain and an alien scourge, I can heartily recommend renting “Wreck-it-Ralph.”

Last edited by jeremy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Four-star review, Jeremy! It even makes me want to see the movie, a little bit.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
2nd that! The comparisons between biceps and pecs on the leads was the snort of snark that is often woefully lacking in movie reviews.

Seems to be a milking of the cash cow that was pastured last year in "Oblivion," again with Cruise in multiple incarnations.

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Didn't care much for The Immigrant. The characters seemed rather limited, the storyline repetitive, it just seemed to drone on. Also thought the period sets and costumes looked rather proppish most of the time. The film seemed derivative of too many other films, and didn't achieve a voice of its own

I was pretty disconnected from the film, but the final emotional confrontation seemed completely silly to me, with bad acting, and shmaltzy dialogue. I did like the very final image which was well set up and poetic. But the film bored me.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Gromit........Maybe I withhold criticism when I watch actors I appreciate. So The Immigrant was worthwhile for Joaquin Phoenix's characterization and character development. I love Marion Cotillard and Jeremy Renner, too. The film gave me insight into an era I haven't studied. Never been to Ellis Island either and I don't mind stories about women having it tough.

I've stayed away from blockbusters this summer. But continue to keep up with the X-Men franchise. It was okay this go round......nothing special.

I liked:

Locke.......how could someone make a movie about a man talking on the phone on a busy freeway. Well hands-free phones in cars help.

Fading Gigilo......it gave me a new appreciation of John Turturo. And Woody Allen was less offensive than usual.

And another movie......a French drama/comedy about couples sharing child custody in New York City. (I have a case of Fading Movie Titles.) It was a pleasant excursion through the city. A difficult story told in a creative way.

Bart.......relocating to Rapid City. Is there a romance behind this move? Or am I thinking of the scene in North by Northwest with Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. I visited there 2 years ago......That's some serious Indian country.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes. And yes, some romance is involved (cue: final shot of NXNW). And nothing kills romance faster than house renovation. Smile

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Well then make do..... Best to you on a new chapter ....scene.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Saw X-Men: Days of Future Past this afternoon. It was very good, the plot was clever, the action scenes (plentiful) were bang up, wild and of course the mutants' magic. I had some good laughs also. Hugh Jackman was the major actor in the film. Very good as always.

After the film titles at the end, there is an interesting scene with someone on a mount above a desert with thousands of Egyptians below and creates something. I am not giving anything away. I guess it must be a connection to the next episode.
gromit
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
Grand Budapest Hotel is a good deal of fun.Kind of a quirky charmer.
Quite a cast. Fiennes is interesting and amusing in the lead role,
Though I thought Norton and Law were essentially miscast.
Everyone else is really spot on.

And of course the set design.
Loved the little Mendl's van which looked like a baked good itself, etc.

It started to get rather cartoonish towards the end.
And the framing story is fairly worthless/perfunctory.
Not sure how I feel about it overall, but it's a pretty entertaining goofy journey.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
I am so in the minority about The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I thoroughly detested but which seems to be everyone else's choice as Best Movie of 2014 so far. Wes Anderson is often polarizing, but this one really takes the cake.