Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Syd
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I have both services, and find I don't use the streaming service more than a couple of times a month. I use Huluplus for most of my streaming because it has television shows and a lot of classic movies, including most of the Criterion Collection. If you want to listen to commentary, though, you need the DVD.

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking of getting Huluplus. It seems to be what Netflix pretended to be.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
This is The End was a disappointment for me, but it was worth seeing. The first 30 minutes or so was quite spectacular. When there is the scene in a one of those 7/11 kind of stores, Rogen and his friend are having a funny dispute about what to buy, (or something like that), and from out of nowhere the apocalypse begins with a bang, a real BANG! and I almost jumped out of my seat. The carnage was very well done. When they get back to their friend's home with all the partiers, the destruction follows and it's a slaughter in many ways. The ones who are left alive barricade themselves in the house. There are disputes between the leftover guys and it's OK but it was too drawn out. It should have been edited. A lot of the characters were annoying and should have been wasted early. I found James Franco (it was his house), the only nice guy in the bunch. There were good scenes in the house, but like I said it should have been edited. The last part of the movie is OK. Sort of comic, sort of gory and sort of beastial etc. The ending is pleasant. I'd give it *** out of ***** and give the first part ***** out of *****.

Frances Ha was sort of the reverse for me. The opening scene has the two female roommates having a discussion. I think that's the first scene? anyway I found them quite annoying. The story is about Frances and she carries the show. It takes place in NY and it gives a very good look of NYC areas that took me back to all the times I lived there. Sort of 60's and early 70's look. As I found Gerwig sort of annoying at first, she just develops as the movie goes on and I was delighted by her instead of the annoying thing. Her adventures are all interesting along with all the characters involved. Her two day holiday in Paris was a perfect vision of a lonely visitor. Took me back, but I wasn't lonely. Very Happy Very good movie. I'm sure she was pretty well being herself. Lovely ending too.

The Lone Ranger. Now this is a movie that is fun to watch. It starts with exciting action on and off a train and pretty well goes from there. I can't think of any part of the movie that I didn't like. Some very good humour, mostly from Depp. He created the Lone Ranger of course, the Lone Ranger, even with his mask, wasn't much like the real Lone Ranger until the last scenes where he becomes the real Lone Ranger. They way it ends with the real Lone Ranger thing made me think that there would be a sequel. I hope there is, but its bad box office might kibosh it. When I went to see the movie I was worried about the length of it, but the length was no problem. Oh yeah, the cinematography was excellent.

The overwhelming pans by most of the critics, show only one thing...they've never heard the song, That's Entertainment!
bartist
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
So glad you liked The Lone Ranger. Grassroots, groundswell, worda mouth....it's happening baby!

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
So glad you liked The Lone Ranger. Grassroots, groundswell, worda mouth....it's happening baby!

Seeing it tonight. The anticipation is growing, but I'm attempting to keep my expectations low. Remember...it's Johnny Depp. I don't like Johnny Depp. At. All.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I should have mentioned this in my little review but there are violent characters and violent scenes in The Lone Ranger. The most violent and disgusting man is in from the start of the movie. Bad, bad man. Twisted Evil
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Maybe I should have mentioned this in my little review but there are violent characters and violent scenes in The Lone Ranger. The most violent and disgusting man is in from the start of the movie. Bad, bad man. Twisted Evil

No problem here. Now my wife, she might not like it so much. But, hey, she loved Django Unchained. We shall see.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention Helena Bonham Carter. She was very good in the movie. She ran a gambling saloon joint and has a very interesting artificial leg. She's a tough cookie and has flaming red hair. You and Dolores (sp?) going to like her.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
On imdb 42 of Metacritic ended up with a rating of 37/100. 22,386 of imdb users ended up with a rating of 6.7/10. Almost twice what Metacritic rated.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I loved The Lone Ranger. It had just about everything you go to the movies for--action, suspense, nice characterizations, and laughs. The acting was mostly okay, not fantastic, though William Fichtner as Butch Cavendish was superb. Everything else was amazingly well done--the photography, the CGI effects, the sense of period, the pacing. I had a great time, and cannot figure out what critics had against it.

Dolores (yes, that's the correct spelling) was not as high on it as I was. In fact, she isn't a fan. But she sort of liked it. Liked parts of it a lot. THis movie was totally underrated.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Billy, I was pretty sure that you'd like it, but I was a little worried that you might not like it all that much.

Just like the song that I said the critics never heard. That's entertainment. (nothing like repeating oneself.) Razz
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like I'm going to be seeing The Lone Ranger.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that my LONE RANGER love is shared.
Marc
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But almost nothing one has heard about and is curious to see is available on streaming.

Dude, you are clueless.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
But almost nothing one has heard about and is curious to see is available on streaming.

Dude, you are clueless.

Marc puts it a bit more bluntly than I would (surprise!), and I know you already called me "condescending" for calling you out on this, but I agree with Mr. Campbell. I am cruel to be kind. You owe it to yourself to check out more challenging fare.