Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
I agree. Bart's post is stoking my curiosity. Though it bothers me that I keep reading Carraway is telling his story from inside a sanitarium. Why? There's no suggestion of his having a physical/mental breakdown in the book.

But sorry, no, Maguire after a promising debut has proven himself to be one lame ass actor. There's nothing going on behind his empty fixed gaze, and his voice contains no genuine emotion. Which is I guess why he did best in his obsessive/disturbed roles for Cider House Rules and maybe Wonder Boyz (which I hated but doesn't mean he was bad in). He seemed so off-kilter we just assumed he was successfully playing characters trapped in their own addled consciousness. In fact a mediocre actor was extremely well-cast.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Hard as it is to say this, Joe may have a point about Tobey Maguire. He was sort of a one-trick pony in those early roles.

But about Wonder Boys Joe is 1000 percent off base. It's a near-great film.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll accept that partial agreement. Laughing

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
One of my most reviled films of the 60s is being revived and praised to the rooftops. Scarecrow is the 1960s version of The Master, a pretty terrible movie featuring two excellent actors virtually jacking off on camera, narcissistically reveling in their own technique. It's like an acting exercise masquerading as a film. In The Master it was Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix; in Scarecrow it's Gene Hackman and Al Pacino, who clearly had fashion-photographer-turned-director Jerry Schatzberg by the balls; no self-respecting director would have let actors be this self-indulgent. For Pacino it was a foreshadowing of his later excesses; for Hackman it was an anomaly. For both of them it was clearly a chance to say "We're superstars and can do whatever we want."
bartist
Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I agree. Bart's post is stoking my curiosity. Though it bothers me that I keep reading Carraway is telling his story from inside a sanitarium. Why? There's no suggestion of his having a physical/mental breakdown in the book.

It's a bookend thing. He's not in a padded room or anything. He is depressed and he tells his story to a shrink. It was a cheap device, but didn't really distract from the story.

Hoo-ah!

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
This Gatsby uses 21st C music??

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
gromit wrote:
This Gatsby uses 21st C music??

Baz Luhrmann strikes again!

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Baz-A-Nova!

I enjoyed it. No worse than Sofia's use of non-period music for Marie Antoinette. Leo gave great Gatsby, nailed it. Mulligan perfect as Daisy. By my count, Befade isn't a "contrarian" anymore.
marantzo
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Here's part of a review of The Great Gatsby by Chris Hewitt of the Pioneer Press (St. Paul Min.):

Trouble is, the houses, rooms and clothes are so eye-poppingly gorgeous that you barely notice there are people in them. Luhrmann lavishes care on the look of the movie but, especially in the early scenes, his camera is so busy zooming all over the place and the editing is so busy carving up even a simple conversation into disorienting rhythms that it's as if he forgot to help the actors create characters. You leave this version of what may be the most thoughtful and richly American novel thinking that it was made by someone with a deep understanding of fabrics and chandeliers.
bartist
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Here's part of a review of The Great Gatsby by Chris Hewitt of the Pioneer Press (St. Paul Min.):

Trouble is, the houses, rooms and clothes are so eye-poppingly gorgeous that you barely notice there are people in them. Luhrmann lavishes care on the look of the movie but, especially in the early scenes, his camera is so busy zooming all over the place and the editing is so busy carving up even a simple conversation into disorienting rhythms that it's as if he forgot to help the actors create characters. You leave this version of what may be the most thoughtful and richly American novel thinking that it was made by someone with a deep understanding of fabrics and chandeliers.

This is bullshit, from start to finish. JMO. See the movie.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I saw Moulin Rouge and it was a waste of time and money so I won't be seeing this Laz product.
Befade
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The pomposity!

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I'm pompous. Laughing Sorry if I am not going to see a movie that you want me to. Wink
gromit
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:

I enjoyed it. No worse than Sofia's use of non-period music for Marie Antoinette.

Of course, I skipped that ...

I'm not saying that non-period/anachronistic music can't work or make a statement -- butsoever, it often is distracting in a period film and this specific setting is the Jazz Age where a particular style of music is tied closely to the period/themes. Which I suppose is true also for MA.

I've heard some other complaints about the choppy quick-editing. Anyway, I plan to see this GG, so I'm trying not to read too much about it.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Gary.....I think I steered you to Trance.......I don't care if you see Gatsby......just making fun of your attitude...........