Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm intrigued by the responses here. When a friend described it too me--and also said I had to see it--it sounded like an action flick with a dab of shallow pretension. Reading the comments here, I get the feeling that it's more than that and that Gosling is a talent to behold. It appears I will have to check it out.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Check it out, Joe. And it really can't be called an action flick, but it does have action. The acting is all very good. To me, all the main characters were not likable. Some much less likable than others, but no really likable ones. One of the teen-aged sons is likable, so you can scratch him off the list of unlikables.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Mud was something of a disappointment to me, inasmuch as I am a pretty big Matthew McCan'tspellit fan and the director Jeff Nichols was responsible for Take Shelter, one of the most underrated and superb films of the last few years. Mud has some wonderful moments and, yes, a lovely performance by Matt M. But it wanders around a bit too much and has a few too many characters, so the overall effect is not as profound or moving as it ought to and obviously means to be.

Two teen boys discover a homeless man living in a boat in a tree. His name is "Mud," and they bond. Things transpire and there is a shootout that comes almost out of nowhere. Sarah Paulson, Ray McKinnon, and Sam Shepard contribute nice performances on the sidelines. The two kids are more than okay. Reese Witherspoon plays a small role as Mud's elusive lower-class girlfriend. Witherspoon is miscast and somewhat out of place though pretty good, but you wonder what she's doing playing this role.

It's a rather disjointed movie, and I did not love it, but many people do, so take a chance. It's worth the time, but don't expect greatness, and don't say you weren't warned.
knox
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Didn't love it, also. Withpoon miscast, yeah. I'd watch Cahn-ah-hey read the Tuscaloosa phonebook - he can show us all the pits and fissures in the soul and his range extends from from deep despair to uproarious comedy. OK, now I'm troweling it on.

Where are the women members lately? Carrobin, Grace, Marg? Do we need to bathe more?
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
McConaughey. Gonna try to remember the spelling. He deserves to have his name remembered, because he's shaping up as one of the best screen character actors ever. Weird how this kinda-sorta-fun frat house type has grown into a versatile thespian worthy of the greatest respect. I tip my hat to you, sir, and will try to remember the spelling of your last name from now on.

But you coulda made it shorter, dude.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
He always was. Check out Dazed and Confused. But fortunately now that he's aging some, Hollywood isn't dumping him into forgettable movies as a living Ken doll.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
He always was. Check out Dazed and Confused. But fortunately now that he's aging some, Hollywood isn't dumping him into forgettable movies as a living Ken doll.

I think he fights for himself, too. No fool he.
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Now that McConaughey has been mentioned, I'd like to say he was very good in a funny and semi-serious movie, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. He had an unforgettable slapstick comedy scene and he was very good in the light drama also.

Did you ever give it another viewing Billy and watch the whole thing? As I said when I reviewed it, during the first 20 minutes or so I thought it was going to be a stinker, but it became very good, right to the end.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Now that McConaughey has been mentioned, I'd like to say he was very good in a funny and semi-serious movie, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. He had an unforgettable slapstick comedy scene and he was very good in the light drama also.

Did you ever give it another viewing Billy and watch the whole thing? As I said when I reviewed it, during the first 20 minutes or so I thought it was going to be a stinker, but it became very good, right to the end.

Promise to try it again. Especially now that I'm a bona fide Mattophile.
bartist
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=9Ah4r__2Zug

(for those who wish to view the Matt McC. wedding cake adventure in GoGP...) (spoilerish, if you haven't seen the entire film already...)

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I wonder what Harry Connick Jr. thinks of Matthew McConaughey's singing.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
I wonder what Harry Connick Jr. thinks of Matthew McConaughey's singing.

What do you mean?
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I am not a Baz Luhrmann fan ever since I saw his Moulin Rouge.

I've seen the preview to The Great Gatsby many times and it really looked like something I'd want to see. I read the movie critic's review in the paper today and read the capsule reviews that were attached to it. Everyone was negative except one capsule which was slightly positive. It seems that Baz's usual wild camera work was even wilder in this movie and all the reviews except one said the same thing, overwhelmed visual acrobatics and a flat story. Good acting in an uninteresting movie.

I don't think I'll see it. Wink
bartist
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Luhrmann is very polarizing. David Denby didn't like it. A.O. Scott did like it. As has been noted, Fitzgerald's novel is considered sacred text by some. Me, I tend to see it as a novel that is very open to interpretation, and so exactly the kind of thing you can fool around with....even turning into something gaudy and funhouse-cheesy and loud via the Luhrmann Method.

Will see, and report back.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to reviews on here. Yours included of course.