Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

marantzo
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Inla, engrossing wrapup of last year's best. I'm a slow reader so I had to interrupt myself and watch a TV show that I like, (on my computer, now that I'm in Medellin). Sadly, I haven't seen a number of the films you mentioned but agree with you on the ones I have seen.

"And if that was learned...", should have been,... if that were learned.

Feel free to correct my grammar (or spelling), any time.
Marc
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Inla.

The Hunger Games is booooooring. Ugh.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
inla:

Quote:
I thought the ending exactly right. What more could there be to show us? Would it not have diminished the preceding impact if we'd learned Daughter's choice?
My quibble about the ending was that they should have ended it earlier, before the scene finalizing the divorce, and left the outcome of that separation implied as well. But again, from all available evidence, Fahradi has a pretty good handle on his story and how to make a movie, and I cheerfully admit the high probability that he was right. It would have left the final heartbreaking separation - Termeh's choice - too tenuously implied.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Quote:
The Deep Blue Sea, a romantic drama starring Rachel Weisz

Bart.........I read the NYTimes article about it and I'll definitely see it. It has a plot that resembles the one of a French film called Leaving that I streamed on Netflix. Kristin Scott Thomas is in the role of the comfortable wife who gives up everything to be with a lower class lover. As with most French films, it does not follow the course of the English drama. I enjoy seeing KST in French films........

I'll look for Leaving. I liked KST in that French film where she gets out of prison and shows up on a relative's doorstep. (vagueness, due to it's been a while...)

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
I've Loved You so Long.

(the movie title, that is - though you are a very nice person and all)
knox
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
inla:

Quote:
I thought the ending exactly right. What more could there be to show us? Would it not have diminished the preceding impact if we'd learned Daughter's choice?
My quibble about the ending was that they should have ended it earlier, before the scene finalizing the divorce, and left the outcome of that separation implied as well. But again, from all available evidence, Fahradi has a pretty good handle on his story and how to make a movie, and I cheerfully admit the high probability that he was right. It would have left the final heartbreaking separation - Termeh's choice - too tenuously implied.

Nothing says "superb film" like one that leaves you arguing with yourself.

I felt the final choice was there to be figured out by those cognizant of the teen/tween brain. (they hate to be moved) (i.e. will live with Attila the Hun, if it means not changing school and peer group) But maybe I'm bringing a bias to that ending that wouldn't quite fit with Iranian culture. I guess Inla is right, it diminishes the story to try and wrap up a final decision.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
knox--The final part of your post is screaming out for a SPOILER ALERT. Maybe you could retrofit it with some white-out.
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
grace wrote:
I've Loved You so Long.

(the movie title, that is - though you are a very nice person and all)

Heh.

That's the one.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the ending of A Separation was intended as a wrap-around to the beginning. Sort of a life-goes-on, next-step in the process -- except a whole bunch of issues played out in the interim which have affected their understanding of each other. My trouble was I was more interested in the moral issues and so the courtroom seemed anti-climactic. So while I understood the choice, I also thought the film could have ended before that final scene.

I don't know if a teenager not wanting change was relevant here. First off, it seemed to be a private school -- or so I thought -- and if so, she could go there from her mother's as well. Plus there was the whole problem with the teacher and the distraught Dad, so it's not even clear if she would return to that school no matter where she lived.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Finally I have seen a 2012 movie I love. It's called Jeff, Who Lives at Home, and it's by the Duplass brothers, whose first notable movie was The Puffy Chair, the best "mumblecore" film to date, and whose second was Cyrus, one of my favorites of recent years, the triangle dramedy about a "loser" (John C. Reilly), a babe (Marisa Tomei), and the babe's adult son (Jonah Hill), who "lives at home."

The new movie is just as good as Cyrus, with less plot but characters you can believe and care about. Jason Segel plays Jeff, the slacker who watches my fave rave and Gary's non, Signs, over and over and over again in search of the meaning of life, all the while inhaling from a giant bong. He lives in the basement of his mom's house, and she's Susan Sarandon. Jeff's older brother Pat (Ed Helms) is an asshole (there's really no other word for it, except maybe dickwad) who doesn't appreciate his wife Judy Greer. Nothing happens to speak of until the ending, which is either wonderful or not, depending on how much you've come to care about the slacker/pothead and asshole/dickwad brothers. I cared a lot and came out loving the movie. I think you might too.

Oh, btw, Gary, there isn't a single frame of Signs to be seen in the movie, so you can approach safely.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Thanks Inla.

The Hunger Games is booooooring. Ugh.

Was not intending to see it. I'll take your word for it, Marc.

Now is I were a 14 year old girl............
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Billy, I don't think there's a hope in hell that it will come to Medellin, but I'll be back in N. America next month some time so I might be able to catch it.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
I have not seen The Hunger Games and have no specific plan to do so, but I do know that I found Manohla Dargis's comment on Jennifer Lawrence's physiognomy (quoted in this article) to be stupid and retrograde--not unlike most of Dargis's writing. (Those who are in the know are aware of my general dislike of MD.) Anyway, here is the "skinny." (And I use that term advisedly.)

http://tinyurl.com/8a8o7qn
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Billy, I eagerly await anything from the guy who made Cyrus, and the bit with bong-and-Signs-viewings sounds like a must see. And sounds like Helms is going 180 on his previous indie outing in "Cedar Rapids," where he's the quintessence of nice guy.

Hunger Games sounds like a ripoff of the Japanese novel (then film), Battle Royale. No interest here.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
The Hunger Games is based on a trilogy of books by Suzanne Collins, who lives in my hometown. Of course, it's quite possible she ripped off Battle Royale.