Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
"They let me ride a camel! It was very well-behaved."

"Was it a female camel?"

"No, I'm sure it was male, because everyone kept shouting, 'hey, look at the putz on that camel!'"

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Dreck means 'dirt' in German. So many of the Yiddish words that originate from German do have a slightly different meaning. Schmuck in German means 'jewelry or jewels'. In Yiddish I have never heard it referring to jewels, but as putz or prick. Smile I think that Yiddish is the funniest language (or dialect) in the world.

Two Jews were bedded in the same room in a hospital. One of them asks the other what his illness is. He answers with a major stutter that he suffers from st-st-st-om-om-om-ach u-u-u-ulc-c-ers then he asks what the other guy has. He replies that he has a prostate problem. The stutterer asks, "V-v-v-vot is a p-p-p-pros-os-ostate p-p-p-problem?"
His roomate replies. "Ich pish vee du retst." (I piss the way you talk.)

I don't think my Yiddish spelling is accurate. Laughing
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
"They let me ride a camel! It was very well-behaved."

"Was it a female camel?"

"No, I'm sure it was male, because everyone kept shouting, 'hey, look at the putz on that camel!'"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Just saw on HBO Pakistani Oscar winning documentary short "Saving Face" about women who were disfigured by their husbands with acid, and a Pakistani plastic surgeon who returns from England to help them. Sad!
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Just saw on HBO Pakistani Oscar winning documentary short "Saving Face" about women who were disfigured by their husbands with acid, and a Pakistani plastic surgeon who returns from England to help them. Sad!

I saw it too. Very moving,,,and inspiring. The way the women deal with this horrible event can be amazing.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
We saw Drive yesterday. It had me from the opening to the end. Excellent movie with very well drawn characters. Mostly very bad characters.

Marta, on the other hand didn't like it very much and thought it the usual type of American movie with a lot of violence. Of course I said it wasn't a usual movie at all. It was unusual and the director wasn't an American. I checked these things when I got home and the director was a Dane and the screenwriter was an Iranian though the book it was based on was written by an American. The movie was the kind of movie that Refn tends to make. Marta did look away from the gruesome parts. When we watched the movie I thought that she was liking it, but I was wrong.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Glad you liked it. Sorry about Marta. How about Albert fucking Brooks??? And what did you think of Oscar Isaac, who IMO almost stole the movie as Standard, Carey Mulligan's ill-fated husband? He plays the lead in the Coen Brothers movie I filmed recently.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
In my opinion every performance was perfect.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
In my opinion every performance was perfect.

That just about sums it up, though it could be argued that Ron Perlman was a tad over the top. That might just be his physiognomy, however. He has quite a mug.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Oh, I liked when Perlman was on the screen. Marta couldn't get over how he looked like a gorilla or something. She had never seen him before.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Drive, possible SPOILER: I think he was heading down to Mexico at the end. I also think there might be a sequel. He was definitely a man of few words and of mystery.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Drive, possible SPOILER: I think he was heading down to Mexico at the end. I also think there might be a sequel. He was definitely a man of few words and of mystery.

SPOILER FOR Drive

The ending was like a rewrite of Shane. There will only be a sequel if the Driver lives. That was seriously in doubt at the fadeout.
daffy
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Here's an interesting article about social media marketing for movies:

How ‘Hunger Games’ Built Up Must-See Fever.

Quote:
...the campaign’s centerpiece has been a phased, yearlong digital effort built around the content platforms cherished by young audiences: near-constant use of Facebook and Twitter, a YouTube channel, a Tumblr blog, iPhone games and live Yahoo streaming from the premiere.

By carefully lighting online kindling (releasing a fiery logo to movie blogs) and controlling the Internet burn over the course of months (a Facebook contest here, a Twitter scavenger hunt there), Lionsgate’s chief marketing officer, Tim Palen, appears to have created a box office inferno.

Analysts project that the “The Hunger Games,” which cost about $80 million to make and is planned as a four-movie franchise, could have opening-weekend sales of about $90 million — far more than the first “Twilight” and on par with “Iron Man,” which went on to take in over $585 million worldwide in 2008...

The funny thing is, I've never heard of Hunger Games. At all.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
knox
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
If you were 14, you would have heard about it. Joins the Twilight films in the drawer of films I can't be bothered to talk about, let alone watch. Sounds like a retread of a Japanese movie. ("Battle Royale")
marantzo
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard of it either.