Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
PAGING Phillip Morris! PAGING Philip Morris!

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
No I haven't see Nurse Jackie.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Befade wrote:
Quote:
Licking his balls.

Alas..........his were stolen.......and on a dark night searching for life's unanswered questions.
I sniff Bambi's butt
And ponder life's big question:
Where are MY balls, Steve?

~ Boswell the haiku writing dog

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing

dogs and their privates Shocked

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
'The dog's bollocks' is an expression in the UK that means the best or complete with all the extras. For instance, "That hi-fi is the dog's bollocks." There is more than one suggested etymology for this term. The one I like (which probably is not the most likely) is that it was coined by printers in Fleet Street (the old traditional home of British national newspapers) because of the gentalia shaped punctuation used to indicate a list follows. I suppose the symbol become associated with completeness

:-

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
inlareviewer
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Re: King's Speech: Geoffrey Rush is increasingly the only actor with the remotest chance of unseating Christian Bale; HRH HBC will be nominated for supporting actress, and could conceivably take it if there's a split-vote between Mmes. Leo and Adams, not least as her character and performance are, as seldom, truly supporting, not a Disguised/Downgraded Star Turn; that Timothy Spall's caricatured Churchill is about as much as one could expect, given that all the historical and surrounding figures are essentially (highest quality) window dressing around the narrative's central triangulation, pitting titular stammering second-in-line against hectoring actor-turned-speech therapist, balanced by determined royal spouse; that Eve does indeed do her Best to give Wallis Simpson a full human delineation; ditto Claire Bloom as Queen Mary (with just about as little actual screen time), her reaction to [excellent, particularly in vocal timbre and delivery] Guy Pearce's unseemly breakdown at George V's deathbed stunning; and that, for all of King Colin's Take-It-To-The-Bank-He's-Won-Already Virtuosity, Lionel Rush's Representative-Subtlety-Meets-Directness Expertise, Queen Helena's Oh-Right-You-Really-CAN-Act Consistency, for my money Jennifer Ehle steals the movie outright, at that with one single scene, her expression and delivery not only unreplicatable but making me laugh just thinking about it.

Oh, foot, now I have to see IT again, too.

Re-posted and edited for purposes of politesse

Last edited by inlareviewer on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:46 pm; edited 6 times in total

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
inla--And when you see it, don't forget to give the incredible Derek Jacobi sufficient props for his amazing Archbishop of Canterbury. Interesting that Jacobi, whose most famous credit was as the stammering Claudius, now co-stars in the story of yet another stammering luminary.

A great meta moment in Hereafter is when Matt Damon (playing a fictional character) encounters Sir Derek as himself and does serious fanboy duty. Big-time fun.
inlareviewer
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
inla--And when you see it, don't forget to give the incredible Derek Jacobi sufficient props for his amazing Archbishop of Canterbury. Interesting that Jacobi, whose most famous credit was as the stammering Claudius, now co-stars in the story of yet another stammering luminary.
Did love Sir Derek, and certainly Michael Gambon, and for that matter, David Bamber (so memorable in Rome) as the snotty theater director, and Anthony Andrews as Baldwin, and on and on. It's a very plush, Stars-As-Journeymen cast, likely to give both Social Network and Fighter a run for their money at the SAGGY awards. If that happens, there could indeed be a Big Payday for Weinstein's Campaign (which has hardly begun to roll out, wait until after Dawn of the Dead). Just sayin'.

It probably is another of my faves for the year just passed. And, frankly, if the parent doesn't stop watching Social Network (was on when I got back from last night's assignment, again, she lerves that fillum), that may end up cracking the top tier by sheer force of Default Subliminal Input.

Quote:
A great meta moment in Hereafter is when Matt Damon (playing a fictional character) encounters Sir Derek as himself and does serious fanboy duty. Big-time fun.
Oh, yes, that was a quiet hoot. Must try to assemble some articulate thoughts on Hereafter, but I'm not about to take that on until I've had time to see the screener a second time and really get my teeth into it.

Speaking of teeth (intact or knocked-out), might as well talk about New Grit. It looks like a post-John Ford vision, shot after shot and set-up after set-up, a daguerrotype come to life, with Mr. Deakins' typically mordant cinematography another of his Show Them How It's Done jobs. Appreciated Mr. Burwell's lean "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms"-tinged score, the Bros. Coen's serious effort to replicate Charles Portis' darkly deadpan narrative and specific syntax in their script, and the oh-so-atmospheric craggy faces of most of the minor roles and extras. I may someday tire of seeing Jeff Bridges chew up the scenery, but haven't yet -- he was pretty much up to expectations, funny and jaggedly compelling. Quite enjoyed the (too-brief) contribution from Lucky Barry Ned Pepper, and was thrilled to see local legend Dakin Matthews as the flummoxed stable owner, Eugene Pallette on helium. As for Hailee Steinfeld, she is clearly a young actress of poise and discipline. From a purely technical purview, she delivered what the part required. Yet, somehow, I didn't find her quite The Find she's been hailed as, nor care about her character as much as I ought to. About midway through, found myself shuffling the mental-casting files for other youngsters, known or un-, who might have done as well (Abigail Breslin, Dakota Fanning, the middle sister on Modern Family, ad infinitum). To me, this means Ms. Steinfeld didn't capture my imagination, especially when Elizabeth Marvel as the adult Mattie was so vivid I rather wished they'd done a sequel instead of a remake. Neither did Mr. Damon as LaBeouf, though competent and well-suited to buckskin fringe, really impress -- his turn felt faintly phoned-in. Maybe he should have let Mr. Affleck operate as a ringer, or sump'n. And, curiously, found Li'l Brolin decidedly unthreatening and anything but scary (not a patch on Bruce Dern) as villainous prey Tom Chaney (though that surname carries its own queasy-making aspects). It's obviously a film of quality, and it carries a sizeable portion of the title component. Yet, though I didn't hate it, I didn't love it (though it did make me want to revisit the first version). Undoubtedly, an unusually accomplished genre-pic, and a worthy, if atypical, addition to the Coen canon, but it neither touched, unsettled nor excited me as much as that material and those filmmakers should have (save for the fate of Little Blackie). Find myself siding with those who think it over-compressed and too single-minded for the fullest possibilities of character nuance and emotional weight. Plus, oh irony, it's a good deal too short to convey the utmost epic stature its Western quest parable harkens after. These shortcomings may indeed be mine, more than the film's, and, even in the mega-gloom of Mr. Deakins' lensing, the snakes, as ever, gave me the shakes.

Edited to try and say it better. Why else edit?

Last edited by inlareviewer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 8 times in total

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Inla,

Yes, the cast for King's Speech is all but bursting with stellar British thespians (they must come cheap). It is a credit to their professionalsim and the director that they all sublimate their stage strutting selves to the demands of their respective roles. Some like Anthony Andrews and Claire Bloom all but disappear, and I do not mean that in a negative way. In that respect, it is similar to the equally excellent, Gosford Park, though perhaps not Harry Potter. One of the great joys of Harry Potter is that it is a curtain call to so many great actors. They all seem to be having such fun, play-acting and dressing up, it almost be like being back at school. The escape they craved from double maths and bet Johnson and his demands for dinner money. HP is the cinematic equivalent of dinner and a bottle wine with old friends or a favourite pair of slippers or the smell - freshly mown grass, new sheets, baking - that takes you back to a place you can't quite place, but you feel the better for it nonetheless.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Earl
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Gaspar Noe's Enter The Void is a mindfucker. Try to catch it on the big screen if you can.

It will play at the River Oaks Theater in a Midnight showing on the weekend of Feb 04 and 05. I look forward to seeing it then. (I did read your longer review of the movie. Sounds great.)

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Inla's way overrating The Fighter. I don't see it as picking up more than a couple of Oscars if that.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
The Fighter and I Love You Phillip Morris are my top 2 faves. Christian Bale is my absolute fave for supporting. I have not yet seen The King's Speech.

Quote:
HP is the cinematic equivalent of dinner and a bottle wine with old friends or a favourite pair of slippers or the smell - freshly mown grass, new sheets, baking - that takes you back to a place you can't quite place, but you feel the better for it nonetheless.

Nicely put, Jeremy. I especially love Robbie Coltrane.......after seeing him in Cracker I can honestly say he is the hottest fat man in the world.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
I finally caught The Social Network. So far this is my top choice for an Oscar, an absolutely excellent film. The script was riveting, it was beautifully paced, and the acting was superb. I was glued to my seat from the first frame. Full disclosure, I have a FB account and often lurk around without posting much (hm – sort of like here) and could care less about the real Mark Z so I was not expecting much. But this film is a stand alone fascinating piece of work regardless of it’s origin. For me the film is about ideas and who owns them. When and how can I claim something as mine, especially if I never really executed it? Really, really good.

Oh, and the score is spot on, alluring and exciting – just like the film itself.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Inla's way overrating The Fighter. I don't see it as picking up more than a couple of Oscars if that.

Given that I haven't seen The Fighter yet, am unsure how I could be overrating it, way or otherwise. Have just recounted the received opinions regarding its Oscar potential here in L.A., coming from the various L.A. Film Critic's Circle members, Times entertainment desk colleagues, Industry players, full-time awards prognosticators and Academy members who figure into my work life. All of whom have been saying since it opened that Fighter could be a spoiler to the Social/King's face-off, and its continued healthy box office doesn't hurt. Whatever.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
inlareviewer wrote:
Syd wrote:

Given that I haven't seen The Fighter yet, am unsure how I could be overrating it, way or otherwise. Have just recounted the received opinions regarding its Oscar potential here in L.A., coming from the various L.A. Film Critic's Circle members, Times entertainment desk colleagues, Industry players, full-time awards prognosticators and Academy members who figure into my work life. All of whom have been saying since it opened that Fighter could be a spoiler to the Social/King's face-off, and its continued healthy box office doesn't hurt. Whatever.

Okay, it's second-hand overrating. The Social Network is a strong favorite, but there's aa tendency to try to make a horse race out of the Oscars. It even happened when people knew Schindler's List and Titanic were cinches.

Last edited by Syd on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total