Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
ELLEN PAGE? PATTI PAGE? NO....NEW PAGE!!

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Check out the cast on this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0873886/

So wanting this to be good.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Check out the cast on this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0873886/

So wanting this to be good.

One look at the director's name and my expectations are next to nil. Goodman, Leo, and Gunn aren't nearly enough to counteract Smith.
jeremy
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Eve Best was pitch perfect. In her few moments on screen she delivered in spades for her director. Fairly or otherwise, she manged to make Wallis Simpson instantly dislikeable, but without turning her into a cartoon villain. At the same time, she portrayed a seductively attractive, albeit manipulative woman that we could believe capable of snaring a prince. Not bad for five minutes work. And praise for producing such a subtle and unselfish performance when surrounded by a parade of potential British and Australian scene stealers with previous.

Last edited by jeremy on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Befade
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The understated minimalism of Somewhere didn't do much for me.

Gromit..........I agree with your summation of SOMEWHERE but I'm glad I saw it. It gave me a sense of something I'll never experience: living at Chateau Marmot. Maybe if you'd never heard of the place the film would seem vacant. But knowing it's history of housing Hollywood celebs like John Belushi, Heath Ledger, Brittany Spears, Lindsey Lohan, etc........it was a window.

It struck me that here was a special dormitory where people come and go and get a pass on any behavior. Hook-ups with the girl across the hall. Room service pole dancers. Drugs. Parties. Nudity. Service. Service. Service.

There was something dated and limited about the setting. By itself it didn't announce wealth and privilege. Basically it was a movie about a place and it succeeded in that regard.

But as a drama it was not in the mainstream. Very slow. Long takes. Little action. Little emotion. Little pathos. Little personality. Elle Fanning is watchable. Compare this to Californication: the single father and daughter.....and Californication wins by miles.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Licking his balls.

Alas..........his were stolen.......and on a dark night searching for life's unanswered questions.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Eve Best was pitch perfect. In her few moments on screen she delivered in spades for her director. Fairly or otherwise, she manged to make Wallis Simpson instantly dislikeable, but without turning her into either a cartoon villain.

Word. On the money. It would be hard if not impossible to make Wallis Simpson likeable, but Best made her believable, never once coming close to twirling a figurative mustache. She also was totally believable as vis-a-vis to Guy Pearce. Quite a job. You may not know that Best was a Tony nominee fairly recently for Josie, the lead in O'Neill's A Moon for the Misbegotten, a role that couldn't be much farther away from Wallis Simpson.
carrobin
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Finally saw "Harry Potter and the etc." today. Good stuff, leaving me panting for the finale. Great to see the old villains seething viciously (Helena Bonham Carter in particular seems to be having fun). Frustrating not to see Maggie Smith, and only a glimpse of some others, like Frances de la Tour. But in general, a very enjoyable movie.

So now I can get down to seeing Oscar competitors....
marantzo
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
At the same time, she portrayed a seductively attractive, albeit manipulative woman that we could believe capable of snaring a prince.

I'm sure you've seen as many pictures of Wallis Simpson as I have and I never found her anything but skinny and homely. She was a sex peddler and winning that moron of a prince couldn't have been that difficult. I don't think I've ever seen Eve Best, but I'd imagine that she is more attractive than the Nazi Duchess.
gromit
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
My other summation would be: poor little rich boy.

It was a film of moments, and there were only a few I actually liked. I forgot to mention the Elvis cover as a third good brief scene. But they didn't add up to much, with much of the film feeling like well trod ground.

The car rev really annoyed me, like an episode of Top Gear was trying to get out. Also, I disliked most of the first half music. The later neo-Bowie/VU tune was fine enough and Elvis is always a winner. (Elvis -- a fat narcisstic lonely druggie -- a cautionary choice). Actually the symbolism of the film -- driving around in circles in a fancy toy for openers -- was a little heavy handed.

I didn't realize that marmots were in the hotel trade.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing The King's Speech.
Syd
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Elle Fanning's talented and has spent most of her young life in front of a camera. She's the first actor listed on imbd Vivaldi, an upcoming film about the early life of the eighteenth-century composer. Oddly, nobody's listed as playing the title character.

Although she was in Babel and Benjamin Button, I know her best as the mentally troubled girl in Phoebe in Wonderland. She's also got a major part in Reservation Road, which I haven't seen because I thought it was Revolutionary Road.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
One of the trailers before the film today was for an action flick called "Cowboys versus Aliens." The trailer was great. I'm not so sure the film will be. But I love the title--like "Snakes on a Plane," it lets you know up front what you're in for.
Befade
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't realize that marmots were in the hotel trade.

Chateau Marmont?

I wasn't bothered by the guy in his car.........though there might have been symbolism there. First going around in circles. Last getting out and walking?

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
Gary - You've never seen Nurse Jackie? Eve Best is a regular on that show.