Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Syd
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Joe: The word is "copyright". "Copywrite" is a word, but is more like "advertise" or "promote through writing."

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Syd. I was going to mention that.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Thanks Syd. I was going to mention that.

Thanks from me, too.
mirgun
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
( I never saw it before)

Oh shit. I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again. I saw it in Boulder, Colo. the day it was released to theaters and I was knocked out, completely knocked out. It is perhaps the most influential gangster flick of the past 40 years.

I cannot believe that I fell asleep and missed the last 1/3 or so..I have to finish watching it tonight.I must have early spring fever and work has been tough, I keep nodding off . Mean Streets has the best score I've heard in a movie. Scorsese's love of the neighborhood and people comes through in an intimate way, and I love its texture and unpretentiousness . It made me feel like I was in those clubs and hang outs; In the late 70's and 80's I used to always wonder what goes on in those storefronts I used to see in Little Italy,with a couple of old men sitting in front.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone here see Amelia?
It seems to have disappeared without a trace, but then a dvd washed up on the shores of China this week, possibly offering up a clue as to why it spiraled down so fast.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm a writer in the F. Scott Fitzgerald tradition. That is, when it comes to misspelling. Smile

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Something else I didn't know.

Thanks, Joe!

I was surprised to find it out, too. But relieved. I'm not concerned with money at this point, but I have a real bug about credit. I want what I write to be acknowledged as mine.

And the reverse. In high school, I wrote a funny parody for the year book, and they changed it without telling me. I opened the year book to find something I largely didn't write, the controlling metaphor gone, and my name put on it! Decades later, it still rankles. Not even because the result was bad. Just because it wasn't mine.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
It seems to have disappeared without a trace, but then a dvd washed up on the shores of China this week, possibly offering up a clue as to why it spiraled down so fast.

It spiraled down alright. I did see it. And I can safely say, it was the worst movie I've seen this year! Not even, Did You Hear About the Morgans came close.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
gromit wrote:

It spiraled down alright. I did see it. And I can safely say, it was the worst movie I've seen this year! Not even, Did You Hear About the Morgans came close.

Did you actually go out to the theater and see these two turkeys? I seem to recall you saying you hadn't seen some of the Oscar nominees. Huh? Something doesn't compute.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I sympathize, Joe. I had the delightful duty of writing book reviews for the last magazine I worked for, and for a few months everything I wrote was printed pretty much exactly as I wrote it (since I was the copy editor as well). But then a new managing editor took over and started slicing and dicing my copy, and I hated to see my name on some of those mutilated reviews.
Marc
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Copyright is a word I am very familiar with. It's earned me a great deal of money.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Wow. It looks like Nora Ephron's next movie is going to be a remake of The Apartment, with Amy Adams in the Shirley MacLaine role:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9440/friedpc.jpg

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Remember that I said they bring in all the crappy movies down here but not a lot of the good ones. Did You Hear About the Morgans? just opened here. I never heard of it and intended to look it up on Imdb, but I guess I don't have to now.

It's funny how little mistakes of others that make you look less than what you are can bother you forever. Years and years ago there was a picture of a guy from our high school football team making a feeble attempt at a tackle in a game we played the night before and they identified it as me. It wasn't. I was very pissed off and still am. The player's number was plain to see, but it seems the reporter didn't bother to look at the programme. Smile
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Wow. It looks like Nora Ephron's next movie is going to be a remake of The Apartment, with Amy Adams in the Shirley MacLaine role:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9440/friedpc.jpg

Actually, that could have been much worse. Amy Adams would at least be good casting. It could have been Nora Ephron directing Miley Cyrus.

And, yes, I know there's been a resurgence in Ephron love since Julie & Julia, but IMO whatever real value that movie had was due to Streep. The way Ephron blew the final scene (I explained my meaning in an earlier post) shows me that she's still at heart the Nora of You've Got Mail, Lucky Numbers, Mixed Nuts, and (blecccchhhh!) Michael.
Marj
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Billy - I haven't been to a movie or any other kind of theater since last summer. Whatever movies I've seen were on DVD. I know ... bummer.