Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I saw that too!
ehle64
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
This is NOT current film.

Nor is Marc anything current in my mind.

Say or don't say the C word -- but F the F outta U for telling me, an unemployed person, NOT to take a screener from a friend or however the hell I happen upon things. You're Holier than Thou Hippdom? Ripps.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Say or don't say the C word -- but F the F outta U for telling me, an unemployed person, NOT to take a screener from a friend or however the hell I happen upon things. You're Holier than Thou Hippdom? Ripps.

Wade,

it appears your only reason for returning here is to insult me. You must have better things to do....or maybe not.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I played Mr. Kimber, the handyman who isn't handy, in a production of George Washington Slept Here.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I liked Mr. Kimber. "Good news....we struck mud!"
Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I moved us to the Couch.
Marc
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't download and actually I've been wondering, Marc, about the amount of free music you've been giving away. I hope you're only giving people a taste so they will buy your album when it's completed. I thought you were doing it as a marketing ploy. Now you have me wondering.

Marj,

as soon as you post anything on the internet (your band's website, youtube, Facebook, etc) you are giving it away. I've uploaded videos to youtube and Vimeo of all the songs on my new solo album. I recognize the risk, but there's really no getting around people taking your stuff once you've put it out there. The digital age makes it so easy. So, I am putting it out there in a video format that I feel does my work justice, videos I myself have created.

No one with the exception of major acts are making money off of cd sales. The big money is in touring for superstar acts. In my my case, selling the licensing of my songs to tv and the movies has been where I've made my money.

I never got into rock and roll for the bucks. I never saw music as a career move. Rock and roll is my religion and when the rock gods called, I answered.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Marc just triggered a memory of that evening at the New School when Martin Scorsese was the guest after we'd had a screening of "Mean Streets." He said the most expensive thing about the movie, the expense that nearly sank the budget, was the music. All those songs on the juke box and radio cost them a mint. (This was of course before the actors were big-budget themselves.)
Marc
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
and Mean Streets has one of the coolest soundtracks ever. Scorsese is a master at wedding rock and roll to image.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
and Mean Streets has one of the coolest soundtracks ever. Scorsese is a master at wedding rock and roll to image.

Yes, indeed!
mirgun
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Marc wrote:

Yes, indeed!

It's kismet that you guys are mentioning "Mean Streets" I just got it in the mail today,and guess what I'll be watching in a minute. ( I never saw it before)

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
( I never saw it before)

Oh shit. I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again. I saw it in Boulder, Colo. the day it was released to theaters and I was knocked out, completely knocked out. It is perhaps the most influential gangster flick of the past 40 years.
Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
I don't download and actually I've been wondering, Marc, about the amount of free music you've been giving away. I hope you're only giving people a taste so they will buy your album when it's completed. I thought you were doing it as a marketing ploy. Now you have me wondering.

Marj,

as soon as you post anything on the internet (your band's website, youtube, Facebook, etc) you are giving it away. I've uploaded videos to youtube and Vimeo of all the songs on my new solo album. I recognize the risk, but there's really no getting around people taking your stuff once you've put it out there. The digital age makes it so easy. So, I am putting it out there in a video format that I feel does my work justice, videos I myself have created.

No one with the exception of major acts are making money off of cd sales. The big money is in touring for superstar acts. In my my case, selling the licensing of my songs to tv and the movies has been where I've made my money.

I never got into rock and roll for the bucks. I never saw music as a career move. Rock and roll is my religion and when the rock gods called, I answered.

Marc,

Thank you. You gave me an education about something that was long overdue. I guess I hadn't realized just how much the Internet has changed the music scene or what you personally were trying to get from it. Now, thanks to you, I do.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The irony is that copywrite laws support artists more than ever before. I know that anything a person writes on a computer is now, automatically, protected by copywrite. Even if it hasn't been published on any web site or journal. Even if no copywrite has been taken out.

That doesn't mean that people don't copy things they find online and keep whatever it is for themselves or pass it along. But if they try to make money off it, or claim it as their own, they are in copywrite violation.

Which is pretty cool.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Something else I didn't know.

Thanks, Joe!