Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

McBain
Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not inclined to write a complete review, but I'll write my quick bullet points on Avatar.

Start with the bad:

- The story is weak and the dialogue is laughable. Really cheesy. Many people in the theater I was in burst out laughing at some of the clangers.

- "You're not in Kansas anymore!" Colonel Badguy was way over the top and one dimensional. He and Billy Zane should get together at the mustache twisting convention for cartoon villains. Next, to be seen tying Bambi to some train tracks.

- Horrible cliches, but I was willing to forgive some of them because it is essentially a genre flick. It follows every single convention you would expect from "Dances with Wolves" or "The Last Samurai". There is not one surprising plot development or unexpected turn. That's fine, I see the film largely as a kids movie.

The Good:

- No uncanny valley at all. The Na'vi were real people. Amazing.

- The technology that allowed the actors to act through avatars was astounding. I really saw Zoe Saldana and Sam Worthington. I could see the actors acting. This is the future that Gollum promised. The Academy will have to change their rules about what constitutes a performance in an animated film such as this and what is just "voice work". With the release of this movie, such rules are obsolete.

- The action was great. I have a real soft spot for well storyboarded and directed action. Despite all of the FX blockbusters we see, very few can tell an interesting story through action visuals. Cameron and Spielberg have shown time and time again that they can deliver action with a sense of timing, development and space that makes the audience actually understand the complex scenes they are being presented. Even in *good* movies we often deal with mediocrity in this respect (See: "The Dark Knight"). One only needs to watch "Transformers" to see an example of the shit most audiences accept for "big time action" movies. Cameron is one of the all time greats in this respect. ("Terminator 2" is still my favorite action movie of all time.)

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote

Yes, the dialogue is sometimes cheesy and the plot is rather unoriginal. I don't really care. This is not a movie about dialogue and plotting. It is visually so rich that all complaints seem trivial.

Stephen Lang's acting is over the top, but appropriately so.

Meanwhile, the love story really got to me. The scene where they fall in love while flying instantly ranks as one of my all-time favorite "falling in love" scenes. They are a classic "mismatched" couple, the kind you want to see get together.

The last shot and the timing of the start of the end credits brought tears to my eyes it was so beautifully accomplished. Just on the basis of the timing alone and the look of the first title this becomes one of my all-time favorite movie endings.

There's so much to enjoy, so much wonderful entertainment here, that I think criticizing it for story content, etc., is beside the point.

As for it being "anti-American," bullshit. It seems anti-George W. Bush's America, but that's not the same thing.
Marc
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

Avatar is emphatically anti American when it comes to criticizing our history of invading and conquering Native peoples in order to acquire land and wealth. This goes further back than George W.. We've been up to this kind of thuggery going back to George Armstrong Custard all the way through Vietnam, El Salvador and Iraq. I actually respect James Cameron for making such a radical anti-imperialist statement. I want the kids who see Avatar to be exposed to the message that war sucks, that living at one with nature is good and that love, not war, can conquer all.
Marc
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Steven Lang will get a best supporting actor nom from me in the Blanches this year.
Syd
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Since I mentioned it in "Couch with a View," I'll tell you here about Bahman Ghobadi's new film, No One Knows about Persian Cats, which I really want to see. It is about two Iranian musicians who want to put together a band to play in London, provided, of course, they can get the visas. The film was made in seventeen days, without a permit, and takes place in Iran's rock underground. It won a Jury Prize at Cannes, and looks like something special.

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
that sounds cool.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Steven Lang will get a best supporting actor nom from me in the Blanches this year.

When you nominate him, please spell his first name correctly ("Stephen" rather than "Steven").

Yeah, I know this seems minor, but when I see "Stephen Spielberg" or "Steven King" I get a slight headache.
Marc
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Billy, I actually know the correct spelling of Lang's first name. I don't know why I fucked it up. Stephen was also a standout in Public Enemies.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Billy, I actually know the correct spelling of Lang's first name. I don't know why I fucked it up. Stephen was also a standout in Public Enemies.

I was also privileged to sit in on a class he taught at the Actors Studio. He's quite a charismatic and unforgettable guy, with a huge pair of balls.

All that said, I still think his performance in Avatar was a bit much, even though perfect for the movie.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Billy,

Avatar is emphatically anti American when it comes to criticizing our history of invading and conquering Native peoples in order to acquire land and wealth. This goes further back than George W.. We've been up to this kind of thuggery going back to George Armstrong Custard all the way through Vietnam, El Salvador and Iraq. I actually respect James Cameron for making such a radical anti-imperialist statement. I want the kids who see Avatar to be exposed to the message that war sucks, that living at one with nature is good and that love, not war, can conquer all.

I must admit you're right.

Is "Custard" a joke or just a very amusing brain fart?
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Avatar, if only by dint of its groundbreaking technology, has to be in anyone's top ten films of the decade. For me, it's also probably my favorite-ever science-fiction/future/whatever genre flick, easily topping Star Wars/Star Trek/everything else. I will definitely be seeing it again in IMAX. Not to be subtle about it, I fucking love this movie.

I also think Zoe Saldana gives a great performance. For me, she's one if the front-runners for Best Actress of the year, though she will never get her due because she's part of the technology parade. But her performance is sweet, moving, and suffused with love and affection. She has one of the most expressive mouths I've ever seen on screen.
Marc
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Brain fart.

Billy, I've seen Avatar in "real 3d" on an average sized screen and in Imax 3d. There is no comparison. The Imax experience is mindblowing.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
And a Canadian invention.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
No IMAX in Medellin.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:

Brain fart.

Billy, I've seen Avatar in "real 3d" on an average sized screen and in Imax 3d. There is no comparison. The Imax experience is mindblowing.

I guess I wasn't clear. I saw it in IMAX already and will see it again...in IMAX. The IMAX experience is part and parcel of the movie, I agree.