Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Private Joker
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:00 am Reply with quote
BIRTH is the 4th best film of the year so far. Anyone wanting a full review can check out my website (since I promised to try not to just cut & paste from there).

Marc
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
since I promised to try not to just cut & paste from there

If you don't post your reviews here I won't read them. This ain't a clearing house for other websites.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
Seems Birth was panned by most of the reviews I read.
Marc
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
BIRTH is the 4th best film of the year so far. Anyone wanting a full review can check out my website

joker,

when I call you arrogant it is because of posts like the above. You only appear here to make sarcastic comments or shill for your website. Please take the time to actually contribute to this society substantively. You are a fine film reviewer and I would like to see the reviews posted here as opposed to a link to your website. If you can't take the time to cut and paste a review and post it here then I'll consider you a parasite.
Private Joker
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
If you can't take the time to cut and paste a review and post it here then I'll consider you a parasite.

You dick.

Quote:
(There are really no significant spoilers at all in this review, but if you're the type who likes to see movies with a completely blank slate, then read this after you see Birth. Which you should do immediately. Because it's awesome.)

Why do people still actually believe in God? Thousands of years of human evolution, the progress of scientific research, not to mention the little matter of evidence – somehow, even in the 21st century, a majority of the human race wants to ignore logic and have faith in imaginary creatures. The question posed by Jonathan Glazer in his remarkable second feature Birth is why we choose to ignore such logic, and then he shows us the destructive consequences of this kind of self-delusion.

Since God is sort of a thorny issue for most people, Glazer and his screenwriting team propose a scenario in which a widow is confronted by a 10 year-old boy claiming to be the reincarnation of her late husband. Ridiculous, of course, but because of the widow’s desperate, pathological desire to ignore reality, skirt responsibility, and believe in the supernatural, she starts to fall for the kid’s claim and her carefully restructured life unravels in the process. What’s amazing (and fairly original) about the story here is that this film is essentially a character study of a man we never meet. Who is Sean, the widow’s dead husband? What kind of person was he? What were his flaws, and who knew about these flaws? Astonishingly, through the widow, the kid, and the surrounding friends and family, we learn a great deal about Sean and find him to be a compelling tragic figure – quite a feat, since we never see his face.

While slowly unpeeling the layers of Sean’s character and exploring a bizarre relationship between a 35 year-old woman and a 10 year-old boy, Glazer’s camera constantly reminds us that cinema itself holds the same power to get humans to suspend disbelief, to ignore evidence in front of us, and to choose to believe in the impossible. He will hold close-ups on a young boy’s fresh face and ask us to consider that he is the ghost of an adult male. He will intentionally withhold a reverse shot so we don’t see the object of a character’s gaze – instead he’ll hold on a reaction shot so we see things we refuse to see in real life (two notable occasions: holding on the family’s reaction to the kid’s first appearance, and holding on Anna’s shower of emotions during the opera). His pace is deliberate, at times recalling Eyes Wide Shut or The Shining, and the choice of music is wryly Kubrickian as well.

Nicole Kidman is quite good as Anna, the widow, embodying her wealthy Manhattanite character with the subtle undercurrents of class consciousness that Glazer brings up. When she delivers a hopelessly deluded monologue to her new fiancé, we realize the true extent of her psychological issues, and it’s no surprise that the piece of information which pushes Anna over the line into believing the kid’s claim is his recognition of the woman who told her there wasn’t a Santa Claus. When faced the absurd reality of depression, death, grief, loss, and betrayal, it’s far more comfortable to believe in faith, reason, hope, and destiny. And the saddest thing about Birth is Glazer's implication that the tools of denial we use for self-destruction are the same ones we use to fall in love and stay there.

Marc
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
joker,

thanks. I always dig your angle on films. BIRTH has gotten some nasty reviews, but I have a gut feeling I'm gonna dig it. Your championing of unjustly maligned or ignored films (WAY OF THE GUN) has inspired my respect in the past, even when I disagree with you.
ehle64
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:30 am Reply with quote
Ebert gave Birth an enthusiastic thumbs up today.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Glazer and his screenwriting team propose a scenario in which a widow is confronted by a 10 year-old boy claiming to be the reincarnation of her late husband. Ridiculous, of course

Why ridiculous? More than once, in India, young children have insisted they are the reincarnation of another person and located their still-living spouses from previous lives. It's one of the reasons people believe in reincarnation.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Strange that this phenomena ocurs in a culture that believes in reincarnation, but ours. We are more likely to benefit from possessions, crying statues and visitations from assorted prophets and saints.

A sceptic might conclude that in the West, reincarnation is just a rebranded from of spiritulism; at its best a means of providing solace to the living, at its worst...

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
My Summer of Love

Do you remember the name Pawel Pawlikowski the Polish director who made the The Last Resort. Well he's been at it again, bringing his outsider’s eye to bear on extraordinary, ordinary English life. This time it's teenage lesbians in a stifling, "Get married, to a right bastard, churn out loads of kids with mental problems and then wait for menopause ... or cancer," Northern semi-rural community. Nevermind Loach and those fellow hectorers and lecturers, the apoloitical Pawlikowski is the better under-the-skin, social observer, and all the more affecting for it. Not a rebel or a maverick, but a free spirit, a true independent. We’re lucky to have him.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
censored-03
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
jeremy,

My Summer of Love was one of the films I was able to catch at the New New Yorkers Festival I attended in Warsaw this past summer. Another was Kzrystof Kieslowski's The Decalogue (parts2 & 7). I also got a chance to see a lecture by Paul Mazursky prior to the showing of his film Enemies, A Love Story. The films were part of an overall festival of the arts, and were all introduced by Annette Insdorf the film critic/writer/professor.

billyweeds
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:51 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Quote:
Glazer and his screenwriting team propose a scenario in which a widow is confronted by a 10 year-old boy claiming to be the reincarnation of her late husband. Ridiculous, of course

Why ridiculous? More than once, in India, young children have insisted they are the reincarnation of another person and located their still-living spouses from previous lives. It's one of the reasons people believe in reincarnation.

Joe--There you are, answering my query from The Lobby.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Joe, during all my years in India, I do not recall hearing of or seeing any reports of alleged reincarnations, but then India is a large country.
Melody
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Joe, are you referring to the Dalai Lama reincarnations? When Dalai dies, the Tibetan monks begin their search for his reincarnated soul. Funny how that soul always seems to choose a young male.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Melody, as you point out, it is the monks who bequeath that assignation. The chosen child does not seek it out.