Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

lshap
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Funny how nobody - me included - has said word one about the lead in i heart huckabees, Jason Schwartzman.

Definitely a case of a very good actor being totally overpowered by the weirdness of the script and the strength of the actors around him.
Melody
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Schwartzman was overpowered by his eyebrows -- did you get a load of those thangs? In a couple of profile shots, they looked like wings about to take flight. I'd say overall he has entirely too much hair.

How 'bout that full moon?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Schwartzman has to be commended if for only setting the tone in the beginning, I was cracking up at his background asides at the absurdity that was to ensue. Plus when he told Huppert that he was going to go to the other side, I just about PIMP!!! p.s. I like the hair, especially the bathtub scene Twisted Evil

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Wade - You lose all objectivity when it comes to hairy guys.

I remember Schwartzman in his earlier roles when he used to have two eyebrows. He looks different now that he's shaved the top one off.
shannon
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
Saw Huckabees again tonight with my afro'd friend and his girlfriend tonight. We all agree that's it's some kind of loopy brilliant mess. We're also going to attempt to start our own existential detective business. We feel that now that we've seen Huckabees, we're qualified. We also all agree that Lily Tomlin is hot. And that I fucking look EXACTLY like Jude Law. No, I take that back. I think I'm the only one that agrees with that statement....

[/i]
ehle64
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quote
"I have to find the African Male."

"What African Male?"

"Exactly!"

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
I heart I Heart Huckabees. I heart I Heart Huckabees' cast. Funniest movie I've seen since probably Being John Malkovich.

Didn't find either one of them funny, though both had moments of brlliance. That's what makes horse races.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
Seriously, though I love almost everyone in the cast of Huckabees, I question what there is to love about them in this movie, with the possible exception of Wahlberg. Tomlin, who is a favorite of mine (in addition to being a personal friend), is wasted IMO. Her very original timing and style are too good for her lame dialogue.
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Thrilled to hear that my favorite Viet Nam War documentary "Hearts and Minds" (1974) is being re-released.
censored-03
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Quote:
... my favorite Viet Nam War documentary Hearts and Minds...
Ghulam mine too. The scene where General Westmoreland says something like- "the Oriental doesn't put the same high price on life as we do" is one of the sicker moments in this astonishing film. Michael Moore has mentioned this documentary as one of the reasons he picked up a camera. Hearts and Minds is at the Film Forum now thru Nov.4th for NYC folks interested.

Ghulam
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Censored, that scene with Westmoreland cuts immediately to the scene of some Viet Namese women wailing uncontrollably over theitr loved one.
ehle64
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing wasted about Tomlin's performance. Like I said earlier, her face doesn't even have to be in the frame and she was cracking me up. You apparently didn't find the humor in the film or script. I would venture to bet that your personal friend Tomlin did. She and Hoffman were hysterical together, but her much, much moreso.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I would venture to bet that your personal friend Tomlin did.

Very likely, as did a great many other people. Just not me.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Tomlin, btw, was used brilliantly and hilariously by David O. Russell in the much better Flirting with Disaster.

The fact that Lily probably liked the script doesn't mean it translates to large audiences. The movie was very intellectual and arguably "intelligent," but IMO it was not funny. That's all I'm saying.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Very likely, as did a great many other people. Just not me.

I just got back from seeing it, and you can count me with you about the total lack of laughs in this ridiculous dud. Trying to be hip and out there and zany and incisively satirical when it is just a forced, unfunny, amatuerish embarrassment for all involved. Intellectual? Intelligent? In what alternate universe? In this universe it is just plain dumb.

A movie that in a perfect world would have been shelved.