Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

marantzo
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I didn't know your wrote reviews for them. Why haven't you been reprinting the movie reviews here?

Her reviews only appeal to people with disabilities. Laughing
lshap
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Marj wrote:
Lorne--the only reviews I've written lately are for the disability magazine I narrate. But some may be of interest. I'll send along those that have already been published. That is, after I finish the job I'm currently working on.

Yeah, I'm also curious. You've been holding out on us.
Marj
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Not really. You were away or busy when a whole bunch of people here at 3rd Eye helped find the right movies for this gig.

But the magazine has gone from a monthly to a bi-monthly so only two reviews have been published so far. Both are on movies about FDR's life and paralysis. I'll send them to you soon. The next is Christopher Reeves' remake of Rear Window. That will have to wait.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
Star Trek is not cerebral in Tarkovsky or Kubrick traditions, but it is good solid entertainment.

lissa
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Star Trek as a franchise was never meant to be anywhere near cerebral, but I get what Lorne is saying; I remember the "lessons" that came out of the series, as well as the one from the only film I saw in its entirety - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Saw that one for its subject matter of Save the Whale, whales being an animal that intrigue and draw me. At the time of the film, I'd already experienced many whale-watch journeys and the movie raised awareness like no other could. The humor also surprised and delighted me; Spock in San Francisco - I mean, he totally didn't stand out!

But the lessons, morals, subtext, were inherent to the series and the films, so I see where they would be conspicuously absent in the remake. I suppose Abrams was going for brand instead of breadth. Still, I'll see it for the trip it's been touted to be.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I never watched much Star Trek at all. Haven't seen any of the movies or the newer Tv series.
And very likely to pass on the new film.

But one great "lesson show" was where two mortal enemies get on board the Enterprise. And one is half-white and half-black, vertically divided. While the other looks exactly the same but is really opposite -- that is, his white and black halves are the reversed/mirror image of his enemy. And of course this is the source of their great hatred. I thought that was terrific. Would love to see that episode again.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if you can access this from Shanghai, but the ep is online ....
Star Trek: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
Syd
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
One of the enemies was Frank Gorshin, better known as the Riddler on the Batman TV series.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I still remember when Frank Gorshin was sitting next to me at a blackjack table in San Juan P.R.
lissa
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I remember that episode very well...! I can't access it from that link, though, not in Canada. Sad

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I didn't know your wrote reviews for them. Why haven't you been reprinting the movie reviews here?

Joe -- You suggested some of the best films. I'll send the two that have been printed, though I don't know if they'll be of any interest here. Well, maybe.
inlareviewer
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Future Current Film Dept.:

The Nine trailer looks immensely promising.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2009/05/rob-marshalls-film-version-of-nine.html

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Can't agree. So much quick cutting montage assimilations suggests no one scene or number is worth looking at. And from what I can tell, he's repeating what he did in Chicago. Including slowing the music down.

-Topher
inlareviewer
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is just a teaser, the edits and montages are not likely commensurate with what the finished film holds. It could certainly look very different in context and totum. Given that only one tune is used, clearly not in its linear form or continuity, it's a little hard to assess what anyone's vocals will be other than Fergie's, but the images, angles, intent and shifts of visual milieu seem most striking, vivid and post-Fellini-esque.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
lorne - thanks for the review of Star Trek. I'm a lapsed Trekkie, an ardent fan back in the day who fell off during the multiple spin-off/whale watching reincarnations. I'm generally a cautious JJ Abrams fan (yes, Lost, Heroes, not so much), and I was actually heartened to know he was a Star Trek non-fan who tackled this project, but this all left me wondering what to expect from this new movie. My adolescent fandom of the original series left me with pinup type specific crushes and Spock was my man, and from what I've read, Abrams has figured out the original teen girl fan subtext. Well not original, I watched it in Abram's generation of re-runs, making us a group of fans maybe more powerful than the original tv-watchers.

Anyway, what I get from your review is that they got the characters but not the great social analogy thing. I'd prefer both, but I'll settle for the characters. They'll get the great social analogy next time and it won't be as awkward as the whales.