Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Marj
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
She was indeed. But Lange was nominated for both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress that year. I always thought it was political.

I don't remember who won BA that year. But Lange was brilliant in Frances. It wasn't a great movie, though.
lshap
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Judging these actors' personalities through interview snippets and tabloid shit says more about our intelligence than theirs.

The fact that Angelina Jolie has done work in third-world countries, advocates for their citizens and has adopted underprivileged kids speaks much, much louder about her personality than the millions of words printed about her. Likewise, the few who use their celebrity to advance a greater cause, whether or not I agree with it. Good on all of them.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Tootsie was foremost in my mind. And I do like Lange, but Garr was far better in that movie and her character was more interesting.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Lange and Garr were IMO equally good in Tootsie. A tie would have been in order. Comparing their performances is like apples and oranges. I for one thought Lange was better in Tootsie than in the overwrought Frances.

My other favorite Lange perfs were her absolutely stunning turn as the evil queen in Titus and last night's HBO triumph Grey Gardens, which was better than the much-admired (and excellent) documentary on which it was based. Lange and Drew Barrymore were candidates for another tie.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes I think their peers and credits think it's just personality or innate talent.

I can't figure out what you mean in that sentence.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Lange; How about Night and the City? Also a great performance by DeNiro. A very good (neglected) movie. One of the best final lines.... ever!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Lange and Garr were IMO equally good in Tootsie.

I have mixed feelings about Garr. She's an intelligent actress with a real gift for comedy, but her acting tics get to me. I thought her best role was in the not-good suspense drama Firstborn, where she played a coke addict. It was the one time her nervous mannerisms made sense. I didn't like her very much in Tootsie because I thought she was giving an immitation Diane Keaton performance.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I had to check the IMDb to recall the Alan Bates TV movie in which Garr had a major role. It was "Pack of Lies." I'd seen it on Broadway with Patrick McGoohan, and the Bates version was different in subtle ways--but Garr was excellent as the friendly, likeable neighbor who was-- well, no spoilers, right?
Marj
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Marj wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes I think their peers and credits think it's just personality or innate talent.

I can't figure out what you mean in that sentence.

I meant critics. Oy!
marantzo
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Laughing
Earl
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Before State of Play started today, I saw for the first time a coming attraction trailer for the Star Trek movie directed by J.J. Abrams. Now, I'm no trekkie, but I confess I was pretty jazzed by it. It looked cool.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
State of Play

About halfway through State of Play, the reporter played by Russell Crowe complains to a meddling police detective that he, the reporter, is on to a big story involving murder and political corruption. The detective, nicely realized by an underused Harry Lennix, counters with a reminder that, "this isn't a story, it's a case!".

Right there is the movie's main flaw, and it was the movie that enunciated it. This should have been a police procedural instead of a newspaper story. Obviously, on a big budget studio picture like this, Harry Lennix wouldn't be the star while Crowe plays a peripheral character; I get that. But for the rest of the movie I couldn't shake the feeling that Crowe and Lennix should have switched roles and that the movie should have followed the cop's investigations of the case instead of the reporter's investigations of the story. That wouldn't have made the movie great or anything, but it might've been an improvement.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
Movies? Those things people go see on big screens on hockey night? I'm outnumbered in my household, with the hockey 24/7, and cannot wait till the season ends. I'm relegated to renting DVDs but have put off the majors till my electrician comes over to put in a dedicated outlet in my basement. We got a kick-butt sound system for the big set downstairs, but it blew a fuse first time we used it. So I'm waiting till it's set up (was supposed to be Saturday...now I'm still waiting) and will probably report in the video section.

But the minute Night at the Museum 2 is out, I'm going - alone or not, and this year my birthday is the most talked-about date in the industry; Harry Potter opens that day, and we're going to see it in IMAX 3D.

Till then...I wait.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
lissa wrote:
[color=purple]I'm outnumbered in my household, with the hockey 24/7, and cannot wait till the season ends.

If they're rootin' for the home team you should be good in three days...
lissa
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Hey! We're holding out hope!

Problem is, the game doesn't end in 3 days. Other series, other rounds...it's neverending...