Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Kate
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
[quote="Kate"]Nancy,

I had fun, but I think that had to do with watching my kid have SO much fun, he was scared - thrilled- and sad all the same. It struck me 'cause so many films I thought were GREAT as a kid, really weren't, but that is OK 'cause I did learn that no matter what, I loved to GO to movies.

Can I put any more CAPS in a sentance. Time for bed.

Ciao,

K]
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:43 am Reply with quote
Kate,

I saw Van Helsing the day it opened. I had a good time. Hugh Jackman got down to his undies, so it was worth the price of admission for me, and the movie was fun. I loved Hugh looking like the Shadow early on.
Melody
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:33 am Reply with quote
Kate,

I would have seen Van Helsing myself -- summer fun fluff that it is -- if I hadn't been so busy this month. My heart goes out to everyone with kids in May -- our calendars are overstuffed and there is NO TIME to go to the movies. I feel terrible I haven't written a single review since our new forum started. But I'm gonna see The Day After Tomorrow next weekend if it kills me. I don't care how many graduation barbecues I have to miss.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote
Melody, that 14 not 18 thing that you mentioned; I only get the choice of tiny, small, normal, large, very large or something like that. I get the numbers on my email site and Word, but not on my main site. I'm going to try to search around, but if you can help, I'd appreciate it.
Melody
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
Gary,

When you hit "Font size: Large," it looks like this on your screen:

size=18 (with brackets)

You can manually change the "18" to "14" or whatever size your little heart desires. You change it AFTER you've clicked on it and it shows up on your screen.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12886 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I won't even swat that fly. Then they'll look at me and say, "see, she wouldn't even hurt a fly.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12886 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Hey, I've found a font Coni can post in! Twisted Evil

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
LOL! Laughing
marantzo
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
[size=14]Prince...[/ze]
jeremy
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
http://film.guardian.co.uk/cannes2004/story/0,14498,1222498,00.html

Interesting Guardian piece on Michael Moore. Unusually, for anything to do with him or his films, it is well balanced.
[/url]
ehle64
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:05 am Reply with quote
IFC showed the closing ceremonies @ Cannes last night and watching Tarantino give the Palm d'Or to Michael Moore was thrilling.
*sigh*
I heart IFC!

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote
Jeremy, thanks for the excellent Guardian piece on Michael Moore.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Interesting article. Thanks, Jeremy.
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Ogre-Appropriate Color for this one...

Caught the film on Saturday evening, and it began with a trailer I've seen (and my kids could quote chapter and verse!) on Nickelodeon as well as on Nick.com. But it doesn't take away from the majesty of the big screen.

Shrek 2 is the perfect example of sequels working as well as originals. Along with Toy Story 2, it shows us that if the characters are well fleshed out, and the actors are well matched to their characters (both old characters and newcomers), the writing will follow naturally.

The film focuses on physical appearances and prejudice, whereas its original focuses on preconceived notions BASED on those physical appearances. But the main theme here is acceptance.

Shrek and Fiona (and Donkey, of course) travel to her hometown of Far, Far Away, so that Fiona's parents and the entire kingdom can cast their eyes on her new husband. The carriage ride alone had me in stitches (and anyone who's taken car trips with kids will understand the hysterical laughter that scene invokes). When they arrive, the tension is palpable, when Ogres come face-to-face with humans. And then, it's "Meet The Parents" only better.

The film is a major take-off on Hollywood, with the absolute recreation of Rodeo Drive, the Movie Stars' homes, "Farbucks" on every corner, and the Hollywood sign, which - in this case (of course) reads, "Far Far Away" in the hills overlooking the town. Joan Rivers provides commentary as guests arrive at the ball, and the "Mah-velous, dah-ling" attitude is alive and well in Far, Far Away-wood.

The plastic atmosphere lends itself well to the theme of physical appearance and its importance. More about that in a minute.

The plot thickens when we discover who Prince Charming really is, and when power and nepotism begin to take hold as subplot. The action is non-stop, the humor is sharp and multi-level (adult and kid alike will enjoy the writing even if some jokes go over the heads of little ones, which is precisely the point of it), and there are twists and turns the likes of which I could hardly have imagined.

There are revelations about favorites (Pinocchio, for example...who'da thunkit??!), new connections made in our fairytale minds, and an underlying lesson that provides for good conversation on the way home.

As mentioned before, where the first movie deals with the prejudice (Ogre vs. human), the second deals with beauty - inner and outer, and what is good about this film is that it takes that first lesson, restates it but with very little overlap, continues the story, and creates a stand-alone film that is outstanding, both as a sequel and on its own merit.

The animation is breathtaking. There are times I forgot they weren't people (which happened to me, for the first time, in Toy Story 2, btw. The soundtrack is a must-buy, and I just know I'll end up going to see this film a second time before I own it.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Okay, before y'all jump on me, I KNOW they were Ogres, not people - so my forgetting they weren't people comment is now backed up. (I know some of you were thinking that, now admit it...)

Was thinking some more about why the movie appeals. It's all about the characters. Shrek has a worldly demeanor about him, born of having to defend his (race? species?) being an Ogre. But there is an innocence as well, shown when he first meets the parents, a vulnerability which endears him to the audience. And his interaction with Donkey is characteristic of a big-brother/little-brother relationship. It is poignant and funny and tender.

Another reason the movie is so successful is because the characters - while dynamic in their growth - have not changed. They are not different in their thinking or beliefs or demeanor, and though they have grown in that Shrek has learned to open his heart, and Fiona has learned to accept who she is. Donkey, however, is the same old loveable ADHD pet, and we wouldn't want it any other way.

BTW - if you ever wonder about the skeletons in YOUR in-laws' closet? They've got NOTHIN' on Fiona's dad...*mysterious grins*