Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Syd
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Here's part 1 of Moya Lyubov (My Love), which is in three parts, here with English subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7nLVoaPX8&feature=related

It's the story of a 16-year old boy who is falling in love with the idea of love, and is drawn to two women, the family maid, who is love with him as well, and a 25 year old neighbor who is beautiful, mysterious, and excites him to romantic fantasy.

This is beautiful, like an impressionist painting come to life, which, in fact, it is. The artist, Alexander Petrov painted a huge number of oil paintings then animated the figures within. He's used it before in several animated shorts, notably The Old Man and the Sea which won in 1999. (It takes a while to do one of these.) It's his fourth Oscar nomination, the others being for
The Cow in 1989 and The Mermaid in 1997. The story is poignant and romantic.

I'm expecting Peter and the Wolf to win the Oscar, but if I was voting, I'd vote for Moya Lyubov because I'm a sentimental slob and I love impressionist art. To tell the truth, any of the nominees except I Met the Walrus would be a worthy winner.

If you like this, also check out the 1987 winner, The Man Who Planted Trees, which has a similar feel to it and tells an amazing story.

PS: Here's Even Pigeons Go to Heaven, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K64aWyG8B-8, the funny French nominee, and I Met the Walrus, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poLVBz1iKnU the fifth nominee, which reminds me of Monty Python with a soundtrack that is an interview with John Lennon. The sound is bad, and I don't care for the artistic technique. Now I'll go looking for the live shorts.

Last edited by Syd on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm still dressing like Annie Hall. I'm the only person in the office who wears neckties.
Jynx
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I love movies where women wear hats, circa 1920. I think the are divine. Unfortunately I don't have a hat head, I have 80s hair (see my graduation picture avatar) and hats just look plain silly on me ... too much hair.

Not the big floppy ones, the beautiful, tight, spring-like ones, like in Atonement, Annie Hall had a few bowlers ... women look good in hats (sans me) for the most part.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Here's The Mermaid, which I like better than The Old Man and the Sea, although that is a more stunning piece of animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MagmX8H77w . It's about a rusalka, a dead maiden who takes the form of a mermaid and lures the unsuspecting to their doom. The clip isn't subtitled, but there really isn't much to subtitle in the first place, and I had no trouble at all understanding it.

I don't care for Cow that much. That's a short tale of a cow whose bull-calf is taken off to slaughter. The cow refuses to work since it's lost its young.

Petrov's only directed five films in a 20-year career, and four were nominated for Oscars. The fifth, The Dream of A Ridiculous Man, is also on YouTube, but without subtitles, which it absolutely needs. I'm surprised it wasn't nominated as well; it looks great.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
My suspicions are confirmed. There is a great ten-minute Russian animated short called Welcome which is about a moose who accepts a passenger on his antlers, gradually accepts other passengers, and the passengers try to take over and direct the moose's action. I saw this about 20 years ago, and the art director was Alexandr Petrov, before he got into actual directing. He was already painting on glass.

I didn't realize this was based on a Dr. Seuss story, Thidwick, the Big-hearted Moose. It seemed somehow like a Russian folk tale.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Jynx wrote:
I love movies where women wear hats, circa 1920. I think the are divine. Unfortunately I don't have a hat head, I have 80s hair (see my graduation picture avatar) and hats just look plain silly on me ... too much hair.

I like hats, but can hardly ever find ones that fit me. "One size fits all" is definitely too small for me. I also have the too much hair problem -- I like it long, but it's also rather thick, which makes it take up more space.

Isaacism, 2009
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
Jynx wrote:

I like hats, but can hardly ever find ones that fit me. "One size fits all" is definitely too small for me. I also have the too much hair problem -- I like it long, but it's also rather thick, which makes it take up more space.

One trick to make a hat larger is to remove the sweat band on the inside of the hat. This will work sometimes, and it definitely won't hurt the hat as long as you're careful when you cut out the stitches.

If a hat is too big, you can fold the sweatband in two so that it's a double thickness.
Nancy
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Nancy wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
P.S. Two movies which DIDN'T win Oscars but were VERY influential on women's fashions at the time were BONNIE AND CLYDE and ANNIE HALL.

So was Thoroughly Modern Millie.

How so? I wasn't aware of this at all.

Oh, I remember it well. In 1967, after the movie came out, there was a fad for flapper-type dresses with dropped waists and pleated skirts. (I had one myself.) Also for long strings of beads, though I could never get mine to hang straight. And cloche hats, thought not as many of those.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Nancy wrote:
Jynx wrote:

One trick to make a hat larger is to remove the sweat band on the inside of the hat. This will work sometimes, and it definitely won't hurt the hat as long as you're careful when you cut out the stitches.

If a hat is too big, you can fold the sweatband in two so that it's a double thickness.

Or you can put a strip of foam inside the sweatband of hats that are too large. I have the opposite problem, so I have to take out the sweatband and hope I can squeeze into it, or find men's hats that I like.

Isaacism, 2009
Trish
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
tirebiter wrote:
I see Jumper is getting tepid (if even that good) reviews.

This was mentioned on the Howard Stern show today.

Howard didn't care. He just talked about how hot Rachel Bilson is.

But I don't see anything hot about her and perhaps I'm not fully qualified being a heterosexual female - she's maybe cute - but doesn't scream sexy in the least . Anyways, I did see this film Jumper on Friday and it was well pretty ho hum - the most striking thing about it being Samuel L Jackson' painted white hair - he loves to mess with his hair to look scary. the film consists mostly of CGI fight scenes and was very short on explanation and story.

Last edited by Trish on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trish
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Jynx wrote:

Not the big floppy ones, the beautiful, tight, spring-like ones, like in Atonement, Annie Hall had a few bowlers ... women look good in hats (sans me) for the most part.

you're not alone Pam, i look crappy in hats also and are always admiring those who can wear them well. I love those 30s, 40s hats - a la Ingrid Bergman
Rod
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Ah yes. I adore that lampshade Ingrid Bergman wears at several points in Casablanca.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Now I did like the big purple hat Rose wore in the first shot we see of her getting on the Titantic. Absolutely awesome.

The bands coming out don't work for me, just too, too much hair.

But Charlize rocked the hat in The Legend of Bagger Vance. Even Debra Winger's hat in Urban Cowboy looked good.

I adore the entire hat-n-gloves style.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm into shoe films myself.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I'm into shoe films myself.

KINKY BOOTS??