Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
I probably would have made it all the way through Eraserhead if Lynch had used Dokken's awesomely awesome power ballad, Alone Again, in the score.

Yo, dawg. Nice to hear from you. You couldn't make it all the way through Eraserhead? That's too bad--it's a great movie.
Eraserhead is the worst movie I've ever sat through twice.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
Brownstone who?
Befade
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Befade--Thanks for the excerpt from the Notes novel. I think I prefer the movie's ending.

I do too, Billy......the novel takes you into the swamp and leaves you there.

Hello, Brownie.......was wondering about you the other day.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
Thanx, bro. Good to peek my head in the old neighborhood.

So far my favoritte film of 06 is Little Miss Sunshine, but I haven't seen a whole lot.

That Jennifer Hudson sure can sing, though, huh?

Have you not seen The Departed? And where have you been? And why can't you spend some time here? No pressure, just wonderin'.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Quote:
Befade--Thanks for the excerpt from the Notes novel. I think I prefer the movie's ending.

I do too, Billy......the novel takes you into the swamp and leaves you there.

Hello, Brownie.......was wondering about you the other day.

I thought the movie's ending felt a bit tacked on and a little too good to be true...although Dench in the park was a nice (if predictable) touch.

In general, I think Americans are too hung up on "happy" endings for their films - look at NOTES and CHILDREN OF MEN.

(SPOILER-----------"tomorrow"?? - not too subtle, IMO. However, we're getting better at it - look at "Little Children.").

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_END SPOILER_ -------------Now the Chinese and the French; that's another story.

BROWNIE - if you wander over to TV forum, perhaps you can offer nutrition explanations about meth use...(a thread after a NOVA on meth). Welcome back.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Relayed Deaction Dept.:

chillywilly wrote:
I don't think so.

And I don't think George Lynch's music (Dokken, Lynch Mob or solo) has ever been in a David Lynch film. That would add too much confusion to the movie.... Laughing

LOL. As if too much confusion was ever a liability in Lynchburg!

Now, Kelly...

And the mind boggles to imagine him working with Jane...

Nonsequiturial Chestnut Dept.:

If only La Streep had married Visionary David, then she'd be Meryl Lynch.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
Thanx, bro. Good to peek my head in the old neighborhood.

So far my favoritte film of 06 is Little Miss Sunshine, but I haven't seen a whole lot.

That Jennifer Hudson sure can sing, though, huh?

So you're just racing in/racing out? What have you been up to? Hang out for a while.

-Topher
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Notes on a Scandal is a taut, intense human drama of passion and deceit extremely well written by Patrick Marber of Closer fame. It has two extrordinary performances by Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett. Judi's depiction of desire admixed with connivance has to be seen to be believed. As far as I could see, Notes does not have a single false note.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
I probably would have made it all the way through Eraserhead if Lynch had used Dokken's awesomely awesome power ballad, Alone Again, in the score.

Well goddamn... so nice to see you, Brownie. I knew some hair metal chatter would bring you back to the forum.

And yes, Alone Again is a great song.

BTW, i tried to reach you before we came to NYC in November, but didn't hear back from you.

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Have you not seen The Departed? And where have you been? And why can't you spend some time here? No pressure, just wonderin'.

I think Tim would love The Departed and I would like to read his thoughts on it.

Befade
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Still enjoying rereading Notes on a Scandal. I don't think Barbara is a sociopath, however. Sociopaths are charismatic, lie easily, feel no guilt, use people. Barbara has decided Sheba is her calling. The story is told from her perspective.....like it's her life's ouevre (sp?) to write about and examine Sheba's every move. "The world has been waiting for Barbara to let us know everything about Sheba."

I see it as obsessive/compulsive stuff. And probably not behavior that has ever been completely duplicated. Barbara has the self control to record all the minutae.....for the most part, she doesn't make a fool of herself in her pursuit of Sheba. And of course, there's self-hate. Barbara is fascinated with Sheba......she acknowledges that she herself is a bore.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
for the most part, she doesn't make a fool of herself in her pursuit of Sheba.
Her fashion choices for the dinner invite notwithstanding.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
Relayed Deaction Dept.:

chillywilly wrote:
I don't think so.

And I don't think George Lynch's music (Dokken, Lynch Mob or solo) has ever been in a David Lynch film. That would add too much confusion to the movie.... Laughing

LOL. As if too much confusion was ever a liability in Lynchburg!

Now, Kelly...

And the mind boggles to imagine him working with Jane...

Nonsequiturial Chestnut Dept.:

If only La Streep had married Visionary David, then she'd be Meryl Lynch.

If Blair Brown had stayed married to playwright David Hare, she'd still be Blair Hare.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Still enjoying rereading Notes on a Scandal. I don't think Barbara is a sociopath, however. Sociopaths are charismatic, lie easily, feel no guilt, use people. Barbara has decided Sheba is her calling. The story is told from her perspective.....like it's her life's ouevre (sp?) to write about and examine Sheba's every move. "The world has been waiting for Barbara to let us know everything about Sheba."

I see it as obsessive/compulsive stuff. And probably not behavior that has ever been completely duplicated. Barbara has the self control to record all the minutae.....for the most part, she doesn't make a fool of herself in her pursuit of Sheba. And of course, there's self-hate. Barbara is fascinated with Sheba......she acknowledges that she herself is a bore.

Did I miss something: Barbara does lie easily, feels no guilt, and uses people.

However I see what you mean in that Sheba almost seems like Barbara's high school science project: the meticulous journal, the gold stars, etc.

Barbara specializes in ruining people's lives: Jennifer's, Sheba's, and possibly the woman she meets in the park.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Notes on a Scandal is a taut, intense human drama of passion and deceit extremely well written by Patrick Marber of Closer fame. It has two extrordinary performances by Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett. Judi's depiction of desire admixed with connivance has to be seen to be believed. As far as I could see, Notes does not have a single false note.

I agree, of course. And I also agree that Barbara is not a sociopath, though she's certainly a certifiable misanthrope. But she has her reasons, and, oh, does Dame Judi elucidate them. The acting of such a complex character could not seem more effortless.