Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
I got out of jury duty (well, the state's been shut down) and I *still* missed the retreat-cum-Superman outing Monday because there was an emergency and I got stuck fixing it. Alone. Everyone else got to go.

Work, it doth suck.

Damn, that does sucketh (waiting for Brownstone and his Jules "english motherfucker" comment)

Hope this weekend is good for all. I'm heading to Calif for a wedding (neice - my sister's youngest) and then if time permits, Disneyland to ride the new Pirates ride on Sunday before flying home.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
New Pirates ride?

-Topher
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
New Pirates ride?

It's the same ride, but with updated features related to the new movie, including a new animatronic pirate that's modeled after Johnny Depp.

I'll be sure to take pictures and post them on my web site and link here.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that isn't permanent. Bad enough they went p.c. a while back.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
To my ears, both Pirates and the Haunted Mansion have suffered since switching over the audio from analog tapes to digital recordings. The digital is quiter, and sometimes you can't hear it well above other sounds, particularly near the beginning of Pirates where the skeleton in talking to you. There are all these wind, water, and rain effects going on, and who knows what he's saying, anymore.

-Topher
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I just saw Pirates and thought it great fun, though I felt seriously cheated by the ending. And I think I did Orlando Bloom a disservice - he was just devine. I also think I preferred a flat chested Kiera Knightley with fringe and wearing breeches rather than corsetted and dressed in her finery - help me someone.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
One moment in the trailers shown before Pirates actually elicited a wow from my 11 year old daughter - the one were Superman gets shot in the eye and the bullet crumples and falls to the ground without so much as causing hin to blink.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Wordplay with Will Shortz is a surprisingly good documentary about the Annual Crosswords Tournament in Stamford, Connecticut, with interviews with previous winners, with some famous addicts such as Bill Clinton and Jon Stewart, and with some top constructors such as Merl Reagle. The movie is able to create and sustain dramatic tension too. I found it to be very enjoyable.
Earl
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Wordplay with Will Shortz is a surprisingly good documentary about the Annual Crosswords Tournament in Stamford, Connecticut, with interviews with previous winners, with some famous addicts such as Bill Clinton and Jon Stewart, and with some top constructors such as Merl Reagle. The movie is able to create and sustain dramatic tension too. I found it to be very enjoyable.

Well said, especially your comment about the "dramatic tension" in the Crossword Tournament. It helped the movie that that particular tournament, the 2005 one, had a dramatic finish, but the filmmakers were able to convey the circumstances of that finish in a compelling fashion. One player (and I don't want to spoil who it is) commits a blunder at the end which could accurately be described as "Bill Buckner-esque" without overstating it. I really felt for that person in that moment.

I enjoyed how Clinton compared solving a crossword to solving any kind of problem. If you just keep attacking it and trying to find different ways to attack it, he said, you'll eventually find the solution. He doesn't have to say the words "politics" or "world affairs" for us to get the analogy. The Indigo Girls commented that doing crosswords taught them to be less fearful of writer's block because they know the right word will come sooner or later.

One of the past champions, Ellen Ripstein, mentioned that she would do the Saturday puzzle in ten minutes and then "go on The Forum" and posters there would be talking about how difficult it was. Do you happen to know if she was referring to the NY Times Daily Puzzle Forum? There was something about the way she said "The Forum," as if it were the only one, that made me think that's the one she meant.

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Earl,

Ellen was referring to the NYT's "Today's Puzzle" forum which has the most groans on Saturdays. There are a few blogs on crossword puzzles, but none of them have a regular forum. One of the blogs is run by Amy in Chicago, who was briefly in the movie as one of the finalists in the "B" division.
Befade
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had a more photographic type memory. There were movie questions in yesterday's crossword and I was stumped. Here they are:

1980 film based on a Clive Cussler best seller.

1984 David Lean film.

1982 Inspector Poirot movie

2003 trilogy completer, with "The"

1971 musical based on the Bible (think I got this......Godspell)
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Befade,

Raise the Titanic.

A Passage to India.

Evil Under the Sun.

Return of the King.

(WWII action film of 2001) Enemy at the Gates.
bart
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
POTC 2 sounds too much like a device to market POTC 3. And I don't see Depp as a sequel kind of guy, anyway. When he was "exploring" his character in the first one, he was great. Actors who love Weird as much as he don't do well settling into a routine.

Just saw the Omen retread and found little to get excited about. Craftsmen like Thewlis and Postelwaite are always a pleasure to watch at work, and didn't disappoint, but Liev Shreiber lacked something and is certainly no Gregory Peck. Peck, in the original, was a spellbinding performer, you couldn't stop watching him, but Shreiber had a wooden quality that made you want to look elsewhere as soon as he arrived in the frame. I've liked him better in other roles, like the cuckolded husband in Walk on the Moon.

The Omen is also hampered by being too much a story of its time -- in the Rosemary's Baby era, it was one of a few films that broke some ground in the horrific, people were still new to the whole Antichrist concept, but in 2006 the audience is a bit too blase about demonic children and apocalypse to really chill in the right places. Making a duplicate of the original, no matter how good the photography, is pointless.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam........You are a master (unless you went to imbd). I should have known Passage to India...........the others don't ring any bells.
Ghulam
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Befade, you need the intersecting words in the grid, not IMDB.