Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
A couple of other myths that might go with your collection: if it's the yellow sun that gives him his power, then why must Superman be drawn with rippling muscles? And also by way of the yellow sun: how is he capable of retaining his superpowers in the distant galaxies he often travels to?

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
But I sent my brilliant friend your list, and this is his reply:

Quote:
The point about the vaccum and the speed in re his lungs, Superman
doesn't breathe. That's in fact why he can go into outer space.

About the speeding bullet: since his skin is invulnerable, what
difference would it make how hot it gets? I believe he's considered much
stronger than titanium. And in that regard, it also renders the point about
the locomotive moot: If Superman were extremely dense, it doesn't
matter what his size is.

-Topher
bart
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok, he doesn't breathe. That makes sense. Sort of.

But the density thing won't wash. If he has sufficient mass to stop a locomotive, then he would destroy any chair he sat on. And probably fall through residential floors regularly.

As for the speeding bullet, having invulnerable skin won't save him from roasting. Any skin has to be able to dissipate heat. If it's a complete barrier to heat, then it's also trapping his own metabolic heat inside. Superman, as I understand it, is an organic being, not a robot. If so, an internal rise in temperature will kill or disable him. Not having any obvious radiator fins or louvers, I think he's in trouble going Mach 2 or more.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:

But the density thing won't wash. If he has sufficient mass to stop a locomotive, then he would destroy any chair he sat on. And probably fall through residential floors regularly.

Even with his strength? Probably he does not really rest his weight on a chair (or a bed), but he's also probably enough immune to our gravity that this isn't a tiring exercise for him. (Not quite the same scenario, but I remember a 70's issue where some guy slapped Clark on the back dismissively, and Superman had to lung forward and look like a wimp, or that guy would have broken his hand on Superman's back).

Quote:
As for the speeding bullet, having invulnerable skin won't save him from roasting. Any skin has to be able to dissipate heat. If it's a complete barrier to heat, then it's also trapping his own metabolic heat inside. Superman, as I understand it, is an organic being, not a robot. If so, an internal rise in temperature will kill or disable him. Not having any obvious radiator fins or louvers, I think he's in trouble going Mach 2 or more.

I'd have to ask my friend about that one, but it could be that it would take much greater heat than that generated at Mach 2 in order to roast him. Plus, we really don't know what his skin is made of, or how it differs from ours.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of the wonderful Stan Freberg skit where there is a panel of comic book experts (who have a favourite comic) and get into this ridiculous argument about the merits or drawbacks of the various comic book characters. The exchanges go something like this:

"If Annie is the ward of the fabulously wealthy Daddy Warbucks why does she wear the same red dress and white socks all the time. Can't he spring for some other clothes?"

"I'll have you know that Annie has a closet full of those red dresses and a drawer full of those white socks. She changes every day!"
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Harold Gray did a couple of those himself. One of them has her say, "Why don't I change my dress? Look! I got a dozen dresses..so they're all red and just alike! So I like red dresses...See? So maybe yuh'd like t'make somthin' out of it!"

Another reads "Dots in my eyes? Why? I don't miss much! So I got two holes in my head, eh? Plenty people got holes in their heads and never know it...you worry 'bout yourself, Mac! I'm doin' o.k.!"

-Topher
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
All I know is the Incredible Hulk would beat the shit out of Superman.

"Hulk is strongest one there is."

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
But what about a match between the Hulk and the Thing?

-Topher
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Been done on many occasion.

The Hulk OWNS the Thing.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
shannon
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Silver Surfer would fuck them all up.
Syd
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:37 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
Hathaway was okay, not terrible at all, just vaguely uninspired. Her friends (the characters) were, yes, absolutely incredibly dorky and moronic. They acted like junior high school students from Missouri when they were supposed to be living and working would-be glamour jobs photographer, haute cuisine chef, etc) in Manhattan in 2006. Their friend lands (and I agree that was hard to swallow) a wildly glamorous job as assistant to a celebrity editor at a high-profile magazine, and they're coming down on her for reluctantly missing her boyfriend's birthday party? Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

All true. The scenes with her and her friends are like they are from another movie, and a stupid, cliched one at that. The rest of the movie is a lot of fun, with everyone stealing scenes from the ostensible lead--even the little girls playing the twins.

I loved the dressing down Miranda gave Andy after Andy giggled at the two belts which to her looked just alike. (The buckles were very different, for one thing.) Hardly raising her voice, which makes it all the more devestating. And what's worse, Miranda is almost certainly right.

I loved Emily Blunt. A lot of people seem to react to her like she was just a bitch in the early part of the movie, but she's also teaching Andy the skills she needs to deal with Miranda. I liked Meryl Streep a lot too. Her Miranda might be an impossible boss, but you can see how she would stay on top of her business for many years.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:42 am Reply with quote
Thor would beat Superman with one bop from the magic hammer. Superman is vulnerable to magic. (Note: this does not mean that we need Mr. Mxyzptlk in any Superman movie!)

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
Has anybody heard much about an upcoming Chinese movie called The Banquet with Zhang Ziyi playing an empress? Supposedly it's based on Hamlet, but I'm not sure how that works. Maybe in the same way The Lion King is. The trailer I saw (linked from IMDb) makes it look very beautiful.

If it is really based on Hamlet, Zhang would be playing Gertrude, not Ophelia, but I suspect it's also based on Chinese history.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
PRADA SPOILERS

Syd--I agree that Emily Blunt was great, but to pretend she wasn't just a bitch is giving the character way too much credit. She may have taught Andy a lot of skills, but that was purely by accident. She was horribly ungracious, unwelcoming, and competitive with Andy from the very first moment. The actress, however, added layers to the character, so that later, when Mirando did that horrible thing to her, you felt sorry for her.

Possibly my favorite moment in the movie was when Andy offers Emily the clothes at the end and Emily can't bring herself to do the human thing and say, "Thank you so much." She has to pretend that she's doing Andy a favor by taking the clothes off her hands. It's funny, but terribly, terribly sad. Emily is a very lost soul, and probably unredeemable. She has become, finally, Miranda's indentured slave. Much the same, when Miranda enters the car at the end after Andy waves at her, she can't acknowledge Andy's presence. What a waste.
lshap
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Syd wrote:
Thor would beat Superman with one bop from the magic hammer. Superman is vulnerable to magic.

Untrue. All Superman has to do is explain to Thor the impossible physics behind magic.