Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
There's a character named "Spermball" in WASSUP ROCKERS.
Nancy
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
There's a character named "Spermball" in WASSUP ROCKERS.

You know, I could have gone my whole life without knowing that.

Isaacism, 2009
Befade
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I guess I liked Anne Hathaway more than most in The Devil Wears Prada. I loved watching her transformation to fashionista. I thought the unrealistic part wasn't the friends, but the fact that she got hired when she was so clueless..........and how long she continued to be clueless.

SPOILERS:
When she finally got on top of the job and thought she was a concerned friend to Miranda her slide back to reality began. But I loved her transformed look. The ending was just a too cliche Hollywood wrap up.

There's a quiet but ebullient quality to Anne Hathaway's acting that I like. On The View, she came across as bland and mousy. So?
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Hathaway was okay, not terrible at all, just vaguely uninspired. Her friends (the characters) were, yes, absolutely incredibly dorky and moronic. They acted like junior high school students from Missouri when they were supposed to be living and working would-be glamour jobs photographer, haute cuisine chef, etc) in Manhattan in 2006. Their friend lands (and I agree that was hard to swallow) a wildly glamorous job as assistant to a celebrity editor at a high-profile magazine, and they're coming down on her for reluctantly missing her boyfriend's birthday party? Absolutely fucking ridiculous.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Guys our age, Billy, can spot these things a mile away. Bullshit detectors are required equipment for anyone from the Weeden/Marantz generation.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Guys our age, Billy, can spot these things a mile away. Bullshit detectors are required equipment for anyone from the Weeden/Marantz generation.

Well - errrrrr, yes; because you probably saw "The Best of Everything" in its original release!
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could say that I have, but I'm not sure what movie it is. It does sound familiar.Pola Negri, Theda Bara, the Gish sisters?
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
marantzo wrote:

Well - errrrrr, yes; because you probably saw "The Best of Everything" in its original release!

I did and thought it was pretty moronic in its day too. Complete with idiotic lyrics to Johnny Mathis-sung title tune:

We've proven romance is still the best of everything,
That sudden thrill, the best of everything.
That one little sigh is treasure
You cannot buy or measure
By any test.
The best of everything.

You've found the moon and the sun.
Yes, he's the one, it seems.
But soon it's done,
And not the fun it seems.

You walk through the night, just groping.
It's still all right, you're hoping.
Love may be all or nothing,
But even when it's nothing,
It's still the best--
The best of everything.

We've proven romance is still the best of everything.

...co-starring Joan Crawford in the Meryl Streep role.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:45 am Reply with quote
I must have missed that classic.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
marantzo wrote:

I did and thought it was pretty moronic in its day too. Complete with idiotic lyrics to Johnny Mathis-sung title tune:

...co-starring Joan Crawford in the Meryl Streep role.

DARN. That reminds me I forgot to mention the Johnny Mathis song I heard in GOODFELLAS!
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
I went to see Johnny Mathis at the Copa in 1958. I wonder if Scorsese included the Mathis song partly because the Copa was his venue in NYC. You people may know this, but the Copa at the time was actually owned by the 'Menschen' (yiddish slang for Mafia).
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I went to see Johnny Mathis at the Copa in 1958. I wonder if Scorsese included the Mathis song partly because the Copa was his venue in NYC. You people may know this, but the Copa at the time was actually owned by the 'Menschen' (yiddish slang for Mafia).

Interesting. What was the club owned by Barbara Walters' father, Lou?

Oh, I remember. The Latin Quarter.
bart
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
Superman Myths

Krypton is an inert gas which, due to its outer electron shell being full, is chemically inert. Since it won't react or bond with other chemical elements, you can't really get anything called kryptonite. And, if you did, it wouldn't hurt any living thing, being chemically inert and not a radioisotope.

Vacuum of space -- if Superman has a bloodstream of some kind, and breathes air, then his blood will contain dissolved gases. So, no matter how strong he is, his body will be destroyed by massive embolisms if he flies up into outer space. His flesh will swell, his blood vessels will rupture, and he will die.

Speeding bullet -- at this speed, which would be Mach 2 or greater, air resistance will generate sufficient heat to roast Superman alive, unless he is a robot composed of titanium or something. Also boundary layer effects will create a vacuum in the lungs when the body is moving at that velocity which will, again, kill him.

Able to stop a locomotive -- I won't walk you through the physics, but consider the relative mass of the two objects in play here.

The good news is that "X-ray vision" would be, in one sense, theoretically possible, if Superman can somehow generate high-frequency sound waves. It wouldn't be literally X-rays, but ultrasound, properly focused, could make it possible for the Man of Steel to see into various bodies and structures.

Finally, and this is more a quibble with the writing than the science, but would you imagine naming a really deadly substance after your home planet? Instead of calling something "dioxin" or "plutonium," call it Earthite. Yes, Earthite. Exposure to Earthite can kill you. We called it Earthite because it comes from, uh, Earth.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Well considering how much our activities are nature-destroying, perhaps if we were an honest civilization, we would.

-Topher
bart
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
You are a silly person.