Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Speaking of, Walk the Line is J.R. Jones' Critics Choice in this week's reader, but his positive review sounds pretty backhanded. He compares its soaper qualities to the Judy Garland/James Mason A Star Is Born. I HAVE to see it!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'd see it just for his performance. I think that whole family reeks of talent.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Quote:
ehle64
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:27 pm Post subject:
Did anyone see Stay?

Yes, I reviewed it when it first came out. Here's a rerun:

Quote:
Syd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Stay is firmly in the tradition of such recent movies as Mulholland Drive, Vanilla Sky, Memento, Identity, and The Others, with the philosophy that if you don't make sense, at least fuck with their minds. I'm not being negative here; I like all of these movies, but I wonder afterward whether there was any substance under the flash.

Here we have Sam (Ewan MacGregor) as a psychiatrist who is substituting for Henry's (Ryan Gosling) usual psychiatrist. Henry appears to be delusional, guilt-ridden, self-destructive, planning to commit suicide at midnight on Saturday. He also seems to be psychic. He announces it's going to hail although the sky is clear, and, shortly afterward, it does. Sam is shocked since his girlfriend (Naomi Watts) has a nearly-successful suicide attempt in her recent past, and he is determined to stop Henry. But then Sam finds his reality is also coming apart.

The movie has an odd visual style which gets stranger as we approach the climax. We'll be focused on a face and the background will change behind it, or one scene will become a detail on the next, or one face will morph into another face in another scene. The whole effect is unsettling, and beautifully done. It makes you wonder where the boundary is between reality and unreality.

The visual style is the star of the movie, although Gosling is great and MacGregor and Watts are also good. (Why does Naomi Watts keep winding up in movies like this? Is she a mass hallucination or something?) Whether you'll find the movie good depends on how much you like this sort of game. I found it more satisfying that Identity and The Others and more coherent that Mulholland Drive.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Tire:

There's a difference between making prejudicial choices based on perceived quality ("That movie looks like it sucks; I'm not going to see it") and making prejudicial choices based on carte blanche subject matter ("I don't watch period pieces, or movies about foreigners.")

Again, I'm not in a position to pass judgement on anyone's viewing choices in any meaningful way, but speaking insignificantly, actively refusing to see ANY work that addresses a particular subject is self-limiting.

Marilyn's issue seems to be the flash-cutting style of substance uber-cool MTV-affective style of directing that permeates so many films of recent. I would agree with her.

But that empty style is utilized in all sorts of films, from Man on Fire to Spun to etc., etc., and simply because the flash cutting in Man on Fire is occasionally bothersome (the ending is powerful, however), doesn't mean that a movie like Narc isn't worth seeing.

Marilyn & Gary:

I'm trying to understand the hostility ("assholes," "fascists," "stuff it") just because I don't think your prejudices make much sense. Do I have to display a healthy respect for your choice to limit your own appreciation of the arts in order to get back in your good graces?

I mean, the conversation can basically be boiled down to this:

You guys: I don't watch movies about "x."

Me: Huh. That seems kind of weird. How come?

You guys: Stuff it, you fascist!

Does that seem fair to you?

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
I said stuff it to the people who think this is a chat room.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
I would also like to add that I was the person who brought up the idea of movie challenges--letting someone assign you a movie that you wouldn't ordinarily see. I did it, Trish did it, and after considerable prodding, Marc did it. Nobody else did.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
Okay, so then I'm a fascist who is being asked to perform no activity in particular, whether it be stuffing "it" or anything else, i.e., cramming "it," screwing "myself" or fucking "off."

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
However, I would pay to see you do any or all of the above. Sounds kinky!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
"I would also like to add that I was the person who brought up the idea of movie challenges--letting someone assign you a movie that you wouldn't ordinarily see. I did it, Trish did it, and after considerable prodding, Marc did it. Nobody else did."

All right, you're on.

You go see Narc and I'll go see something stupid and shitty you'd recommend.

(I am so fucking with you!)

Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what kind of film you avoid, B. I'll accept the challenge, whether or not you're fucking with me.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
"I'm not sure what kind of film you avoid, B."

Lately, I avoid stuff that's good. Try anything of quality, and chances are I would traditionally take a pass on it.

Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hee hee. Well, let's try a movie you probably would not seek out--Lola Montes. If you can't find it, let me know.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...but more importantly as film buffs, cineastes, students-of-film or movie fans you probably would want to know what the hell all the buzz is about when one of these (uncomfortable?) films becomes a hit.

Nope.

Quote:
Should I point out the obvious that if you are actively & consciously placing limitations on the type of art you will patronize, that you are by definition limiting your appreciation of the arts?

You just made my argument for me. You don't seem to think that making an informed choice is anything other than limiting your exposure to the arts. It doesn't limit me at all. I won't have time in my lifetime to cover all the arts and I choose what I want to cover. And I'd guess that my appreciation of the arts is at least as deep as yours, my liberal friend.

I've had a rather extensive exposure and thus education in the arts. I've even produced some (arguably). Some isn't my cup of tea. I don't care for medieval religious paintings, I know there are great works in that field. But they don't appeal to me, so if there is an exhibition of these works I have no desire to go. I have seen many movies that contain adultery of course. It's the movies that focus on egregious adultery and somehow excuse it as a person making an error of judgement because their passions were fired and taken advantage of somehow. Female adultery bothers me much more than a man's. But I'm a man so I'm obviously more attuned to how a man would feel. It affects me on a more personal level. I imagine that women would be more upset about a man's betrayal of their marriage than a woman's. Doesn't mean you abide either one.

How many Gregorian chants have you listened too, Brownie? When you go to the library, do you look for something by George Elliot or Norman Mailer? Or don't you make a choice and just start with the A's and work your way through the alphabet?

I think I'll go see Empire. Watching a movie shot by a stationary camera shooting the Empire State Building for hours and hours isn't something that interests me, but I don't want to limit my appreciation of the arts.

I don't consider myself a film buff, cineaste, or student-of-film. I am a fan of movies I like. I'm not a fan of all movies. I'm an art lover, when it's art that I love. Speaking of which, I just saw All That Heaven Allows and will post some comments on the Couch.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
"Well, let's try a movie you probably would not seek out--Lola Montes. If you can't find it, let me know."

I couldn't find it. Sorry, I tried.

Just kidding. Will do a search for it and try to watch it the first week of December. Thanks for the homework, mom.

Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
You, too, Junior. I like to keep up on what the young people are doing.