Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
If I restricted myself to only enjoying works in which the liekable characters' morality was impugnable, I don't think I'd much enjoy Macbeth or Richard III.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Obviously, we choose films that we hope we'll both enjoy and be enriched by. I'm seriously turned off by drug movies. I don't enjoy them, and I think I know about as much about drugs as I'll ever need to know. Film makers these days look for more than drama/conflict to sell a movie, they look for shock. I wish they'd get back to telling a good story well.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
We've been through this debate before, but your recent post seems to insinuate that it is impossible to tell a good story if the subject matter in any way deals with drugs.

There are too many examples to rebut this point to really address this sentiment any further, but I'll try with possibly the most obvious: a film the British Film Society just annointed the greatest of all time.

I would have a real hard time justifying the argument that Goodfellas turns into a really shitty movie once Henry starts moving ounces.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Goodfellas tells a complex story. It's not just about drugs. (I also think it's a bit overrated myself.)

Trainspotting was perhaps the last pure drug movie--and by that I mean a movie that is ALL about taking drugs--that I felt did anything for me, mainly by showing that a lot of people take drugs because it FEELS GOOD!

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Obviously, we choose films that we hope we'll both enjoy and be enriched by. I'm seriously turned off by drug movies. I don't enjoy them, and I think I know about as much about drugs as I'll ever need to know. Film makers these days look for more than drama/conflict to sell a movie, they look for shock. I wish they'd get back to telling a good story well.

I imagine you didn't care for Requiem for a Dream
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see it. Deliberately.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I've got to stand up for Ralph Fienne and Olivier Martinez' sex appeal. Yummmmmmmmm.......

And please don't forget David Thewlis in Besieged (Bernardo Bertolucci). There is a tale that really stretches the adultery issue.

Good for Gary: being repulsed by unprovoked adultery. I see films with this subject because I like human drama dealing with relationships........even if I can't recommend the film later. Trish is right. Derailed was off the track.

The Ice Storm tackles this subject...........mindless adultery meets real life tragedy.........great cast, too, including Joan Allen.

As much as Gary is repulsed by adultery........I'm more repulsed by war. I never see war films.
shannon
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a problem classifying Trainspotting as a "pure drug movie." It's about "choosing life," or rather not choosing life. The movie has always brought to mind an old Pulp lyric ("We learnt too much at school now we can't help but see that the future that you've got mapped out is nothing much to shout about (woah oh oh)...") which I think sums up Ewen McGregor's dilemna in Trainspotting. Sure, the drugs are bad, but is normal life any better? And at least the drugs are fun.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Goodfellas tells a complex story. It's not just about drugs. (I also think it's a bit overrated myself.)

Word.

-Topher
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I would cite the adage that a movie's worth should be based on not what it's about, but how it's about it.

Depicted drug use notwithstanding.

I just always take issue with statements such as, " I don't like movies about (fill in the blank)."

It seems willfully prejudicial.

The only kind of movies I don't like are shitty ones, and even that's not entirely true.

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
You're right, B, it is willfully prejudiced. I have many, many avenues by which to explore the human condition. I've chosen not to do it through drug movies, good as they may be. I'll never see all the good/great movies in the world.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I have something of the same response to Holocaust movies that you have to drug movies. It isn't a question of "good or poorly done" and it's obviously not a question of "this should not be discussed." But it isn't something I want to see (or something I have to see in order not to foget what happened).

However, I will eventually see The Pianist.

-Topher
Shane
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that! But I'm with you all the way I've decided that the rest of my time is short and MINE and as Tim pointed out I can be willful about what I choose to watch, I owe no one anything.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely right. You owe nothing to no one except yourself.

All I'm saying is willful prejudice leads to willful ignorance.

Shane
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Like I'm willfully ignoring Marc's posts when he degins to show up and hurl his feces about like a drunken monkey?