Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  As The Forum Turns - This Month: EXPLOITATION FILM

tirebiter
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Marc: Why not have a Kunt Tulgar film festival? The public clamors for quality entertainment.

Found this item on an ancient exploitationer at BoingBoing.net-- the link requires registration at the LATimes, tho...

LA Times on bizarre pre-Kong movie, "Ingagi"

The LA Times has an interesting, long story about a gorilla movie that pre-dates King Kong by three years, called Ingagi. Many scenes are similar to King Kong, but it contains even more racist and lurid human-ape sexual innuendo than the more famous movie that followed.
The movie purports that not only are tribal women sacrificed to the "Ingagi," but some otherwise barren women mate with the gorillas by choice in order to conceive. At the climax of the film, a naked woman emerges from the bush to mourn her dead gorilla lover. But "Ingagi's" most offensive moment shows a topless black woman cradling a baby adorned with patches of glued-on fur, described as "a strange-looking child, seemingly more ape than human."

tirebiter
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
Marc: Why not have a Kunt Tulgar film festival? The public clamors for quality entertainment.

Found this item on an ancient exploitationer at BoingBoing.net-- the link requires registration at the LATimes, tho...

LA Times on bizarre pre-Kong movie, "Ingagi"

The LA Times has an interesting, long story about a gorilla movie that pre-dates King Kong by three years, called Ingagi. Many scenes are similar to King Kong, but it contains even more racist and lurid human-ape sexual innuendo than the more famous movie that followed.
The movie purports that not only are tribal women sacrificed to the "Ingagi," but some otherwise barren women mate with the gorillas by choice in order to conceive. At the climax of the film, a naked woman emerges from the bush to mourn her dead gorilla lover. But "Ingagi's" most offensive moment shows a topless black woman cradling a baby adorned with patches of glued-on fur, described as "a strange-looking child, seemingly more ape than human."

Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
tirebiter,
not everyone is a hip as you.

Kunt Tulgar is an actor who appeared in alot of Turkish flicks. And I would love to see Kunt mania runnin' wild. Unfortunately, the Kunt ouvre is mostly out of print. I sincerely believe that the world is ready for Kunt. I could spend hours looking at Kunt. How about a Kunt forum?
Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote
I would love to discuss the difference between real exploitation flicks vs. exploitation homage - ie. Hershell Gordon Lewis vs. Troma.
Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
exploitation flicks are hot again:

SAW
SAW 2
DEVIL'S REJECTS
HOSTEL
CABIN FEVER
TEXAS CHAINSAW remake
DAWN OF THE DEAD remake
Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
for those of you who want more Kunt:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0876328/
Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
Did you know that KUNT TULGAR was also known as KUNT BRIX? Wow.
The more I get know about Kunt the more Kunt I want.
Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
A Fistful of Exploitation Classics (my hugely subjective list):

BLOOD FEAST
2000 MANIACS
COLOR ME BLOOD RED
LA DOLCE VITA
WILD ANGELS
THE TINGLER
MIDNIGHT EXPRESS
EL TOPO
MIDNIGHT COWBOY
FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN
BLOOD FOR DRACULA
PSYCHO
SNUFF
MANDINGO
THE CRYING GAME
EASY RIDER
LAST TANGO IN PARIS
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
I know this will be one of my favorites. Not just because I enjoy exploitation films...but because I worked on at least 3 of them - all Roger Corman (or Gene Corman) productions.

Which ones, mo?

NIGHT CALL NURSES (Julie Corman, wife of Roger)

CAGED HEAT (Roger Corman)

PRIVATE PARTS (Gene Corman)
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
P.S. I forgot to add that I worked with Pam Grier (Queen of blaxploitation) also...but it was for episodic TV...not an exploitation flick. She was an established star by then.

A cool person, very nice.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Did you know that KUNT TULGAR was also known as KUNT BRIX? Wow.
The more I get know about Kunt the more Kunt I want.

Can someone post a picture of KUNT TULGAR?
tirebiter
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
Marc: I see many favorites on your list-- Blood Feast is a treasured memory of my twisted youth. But La Dolce Vita??? Last Tango???

Man, I'd call those anything but "exploitation." Art films, maybe....
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote
tirebiter wrote:
Marc: I see many favorites on your list-- Blood Feast is a treasured memory of my twisted youth. But La Dolce Vita??? Last Tango???

Man, I'd call those anything but "exploitation." Art films, maybe....

This just goes to show you how loosely the term "exploitation film" can be taken. We should establish some ground rules if this forum is to avoid hopping the track completely.

My favorite movie in my own definition of "exploitation film" is an item titled Girls Town. Not the Lili Taylor credit of a few years ago, but the 1959 classic starring Mel Torme as a juvenile deliquent (he was then in his late thirties or early forties), Sheilah Graham as a nun, Elinor (Father Knows Best) Donahue as the sister of Mamie Van Doren, and Paul Anka singing "Ave Maria."

In the area of camp, this one has Plan 9 from Outer Space beat. BTW, avoid the MST3K version. You must see this one neat and uncommented-upon. Also intact (MST3K cuts it).
tirebiter
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
I could be an obnoxious twit (something I never am) and define "exploitation film"-- or provide the full Wikipedia definition-- but I'd rather others weigh in.

Scantily-clad juvenile delinquent operators are standing by.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote
If all Troma films can be called "exploitation," and maybe they can't, I am in two of them--Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D., which is racially exploitative in an almost disarming way, and Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, in which I do a cameo along with Ron Jeremy, Al Goldstein, Taylor Mead, Corey Feldman, Hugh Hefner, and the late great Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf in a movie whose bad taste must be experienced to be believed.