Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Directors Series - Federico Fellini

otto e mezzo
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
otto, you've been a very interesting contributor to the Fellini forum. Why don't you drop in on some of the others. I'm sure you have some things to say about movies by other directors.

Thanks Marantzo. I've just been busy moving and my job is taking up time. I'll make sure to stop by some of the other forums.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Leone is another brilliant director. One of my favorites. Have you seen "Duck You Sucker" by Leone?

No, I haven't seen it. In fact I've seen very few Leone movies. Never really got into the Eastwood ones for some reason. He made Once Upon A Time in America though and I've seen the uncut version a number of times. Very good. I hope I've got the right director.
censored-03
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
From La Strada:

The Fool: I am ignorant, but I read books. You won't believe it, everything is useful... this pebble for instance.

Gelsomina: Which one?

The Fool: Anyone. It is useful.

Gelsomina: What for?

The Fool: For... I don't know. If I knew I'd be the Almighty, who knows all. When you are born and when you die... Who knows? I don't know for what this pebble is useful but it must be useful. For if its useless, everything is useless. So are the stars!

bocce
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I just finished watching Sergio Leone's For A Fistful of Dollars, and thought that he borrowed from Fellini the close-ups that linger on people's faces, letting faces tell part of the story. Of course, instead of Fellini's chatty, charming eccentrics, Leone displays stubble, scars, and hats pulled down low over keen and/or squinty eyes. But it did seem a modified version of what Fellini practiced, just placed into the service of a different genre/narrative.

i think leone was as, if not more, informed by kurosawa (in intensity) as he was by fellini (in duration) and overall affect of the given shot. i, frankly, find leone boring in this particular incidental. his camera lingers too long on the grotesques and he doesn't give them the life that fellini does thru some dialogue or interaction.

what leone has is affect without effect...something one rarely gets in a fellini character or film.
bocce
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
further, as to the question of influence...

fellini created such a spectaularly visual and literal iconography of his own that any other self respecting director could'nt (or would'nt) draw from other than obliquely. maybe godard attempted to create his own film vocabulary in the sense of fellini and that may be considered influential. but he also failed to communicate universally like fellini.

but unlike directors who've tried (and, frankly, occasionally suceeded) to out- hitchcock hitchcock , no one has come close to the ethereal sublimity of fellini at his peak.