Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Directors Series - Federico Fellini

marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
There were a few seminal movies in my young life. The first I remember was Great Expectations when I was 9, then On The Waterfront 14, Breathless 18 and 8 1/2 23.
lshap
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Bocce,

I agree Ghulam would be a perfect choice of moderator, although his crystal meth addiction does tend to make his mood swings very erratic. He's also honed some pretty sharp organizational skills by keeping his telemarketing scams under the FBI's radar for years now. The guy's a pro, no question.

However, I don't see why a forum on film directors or film genres would be placed anywhere else but within the Third Eye Film Forums. Did I misunderstand you?
ehle64
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Ghulam would make a great moderator. Plus, he's anxious about seeing the Fellini films again, that always helps.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
My only qualification to moderate the noir forum was that I wrote down our list of noir movies on a piece of paper, so that everytime Yambu or Bocce wanted to know what the next movie was, I could give the answer. But I did such a poor job of hosting that, I disqualified myself from any future moderator assignments. Having an early morning or late afternoon moderator (Bocce) would be fine. Or someone who has shown skills as a moderator before (e.g. Marilyn).
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I would not be a good moderator because after 8-1/2, I didn't like any of Fellini's films. I think Rod would be a good moderator. He may not be here during part of the day, but he's around enough to keep things lively, and hopefully we could all carry on ourselves rather well. We've done this before, after all.

Shocked NO! Not Marilyn!!! I love her to death, but the woman doesn't like La Strada! Mad

Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Actually, Marc might be a good moderator, too. He did a terrific job on the Polanski forum and probably could arrange to be around a bit more.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm certain Marc would do a great job, but his new store is really keeping him busy. He appears to be on only late at night.

Bocce - since this is only a question of organization, why not you? You also did a great job at keeping the noir discussion moving along.
Rod
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
[quote="Marilyn"]I think Rod would be a good moderator. He may not be here during part of the day, but he's around enough to keep things lively, and hopefully we could all carry on ourselves rather well.[quote]

I appreciate this nomination but must turn it down as I vowed after the Thrillers forum never to moderate again and also having seen 5 Fellini films I don't think I've seen enough to be a thoroughly good moderator. Cheers.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
I in a documentary on Fellini, they featured a b&w film clip of him being interviewed sometime in the period of controversy after La Dolce Vita. He explained that one evening he had been out walking in Rome when a limousine pulled up next to him. The passenger in back opened the door; he saw she was an old woman with white hair, a cardboard nose protector, and wearing sunglasses. She berated him: " Mr Fellini! Why do you always populate your films with such strange characters?"

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote
I would love to moderate a Fellini forum. But, my life is too Felliniesque at the moment.

"Felliniesque". Like Hitchcock and Lynch, Fellini has created/reflected a state of mind. Other director's names have been used as adjectives - Capraesque, the Lubitsch Touch. But, they refer to style. Felliniesque refers
to a kind of altered consciousness.
bocce
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
CENSORED would be an excellent moderator...
censored-03
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I would be glad to moderate the Fellini Forum. I am a newbie at this. I assume that my responsibilities are mainly to get the film list together and then find a comfortable schedule for all of us and then basically let you all rip.

If the forum becomes a little slow I suppose I can give it a little punch by getting some sort of dialog going, but knowing most of you I don't think that will be a problem. I would hope we can cover Fellini's entire career, but I'm not sure on the amount of actual numbers of films we all feel would be good for this forum. Whenever I tried to pick a film or two to avoid for the forum it was hard to do. Should we see them all or a power list which might be convenient ? Talk amongst yourselves I'm a little verklempt !

The obvious films (I think) would be the one's I have highlighted.
A list of Federico Fellini's Films

1989 - The Voice of the Moon
1987 - Intervista
1986 - Ginger & Fred
1983 - And the Ship Sails On
1980 - City of Women
1978 - Orchestra Rehearsal

1976 - Fellini’s Casanova
1973 - Amarcord
1972 - Fellini’s Roma

1970 - The Clowns
1969 - Fellini-Satyricon
1965 - Juliet of the Spirits
1963 - 8½
1960 - La Dolce Vita (The Sweet Life)
1956 - Le Notti di Cabiria (Nights of Cabiria)

1955 - Il Bidone (The Swindle)
1954 - La Strada (The Road)
1953 - I Vitelloni (The Young and the Passionate)
1951 - The White Sheik

1950 - Luci del Varietà (Lights of Variety)

Fellini also directed segments for a couple of films that were co-directed by other distinguished directors like Visconti, DeSica, Antonioni, Malle and others.

1967 - Histoires Extraordinaires
1961 - Boccaccio ’70

Bocce's suggestion to discuss Fellini's early script-writing would be interesting, but I think that should fall under the category of those who are interested bring what you can to the discussion, there are so many films to see I think we should just get started from the beginning (another Bocce suggestion) which is a good place to start with such a profound and changing artist. Changing all the time, yes, but Fellini kept a certain theme (a lust for life) a constant in his filmography. Fellini's last film The Voice of the Moon disappointed some and alienated others who were expecting something different from the maestro, but wasn't this almost always the reaction to the release of one of Fellini's films? Some have said to watch a Federico Fellini film is to know the Italians, I say watch a Fellini film and you will know life. Let's do this.

censored-03
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:25 am Reply with quote
I forgot his segment Toby Dammit from Tre passi nel di un regista (Spirits of the Dead) 1968

censored-03
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quote
On another angle, perhaps it would be good to first view Fellini's "trilogy of loneliness": La Strada, Il Bidone and Nights of Cabiria. Isolation and loneliness being a constant in many Felliniesque situations, this might be a good way to start to his forum.