Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  The Writer's Corner

Marj
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Chilly,

One of the purposes of this place is for people like you who have chapters that are not finished. But you post when you want to.

Btw, I hope you saw I reposted Carrobin's chapters so it would be easier for you to find.

Rod,

Read a few of my reviews. I alliterate like crazy! And had you know my full name and wrote: Merci Marjorie, you would have rhymed!

Now I have to catch up and read Jeremy's poem.
Marj
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Jeremy - You instantly transported me to night time London. Wonderful.
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Chilly,

One of the purposes of this place is for people like you who have chapters that are not finished. But you post when you want to.

Btw, I hope you saw I reposted Carrobin's chapters so it would be easier for you to find.

The chapters I plan to post in a few weeks are ones that are not finished, but need some minor changes to conicide with the rest of the story and character development.

I did see the reposted carrobin work. Thanks for doing that. Much appreciated.

daffy
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Just received this via email, and this seems like a wonderful place to share it. Enjoy:

ANALOGIES, METAPHORS AND SOMETHING ELSE
These came from the annual "Dark and Stormy Night" competition. Actual analogies and metaphors found in high school essays:

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m.instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other fromTopeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River.

18. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

26. Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.

27. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
yambu
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Out of 27, I got maybe a dozen good, hard laughs. Thank you.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia

Last edited by Rod on Sun May 07, 2006 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
So? You get to make up your mind which is which.

I did a radio interview (22 years ago) with the guy who started the "Dark and Stormy Night" contest, and he seemed genuinely pleased with the thought that his little idea had caught on (and incidentally made him some money from publishing). The winners are something I look forward to reading every year-- though they also serve as an effective curb to my writing anything serious. Why bother? Ridiculous is better.
yambu
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Ah, I love this; and beg to flaunt my local angle, as San Jose State University, where it all began, is a half tank of gas from my door.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
I guess I could have told her to stick with it because it gets better, which it does, but not a hellofa lot. I feel since I plowed through this tome that I have the right to pursue it to the ends of the earth lest someone think this is a good Steinbeck work. Laughing
marantzo
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
Oops. That was supposed to be on the East of Eden forum. How did I get here?
mitty
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Uhhhh.....what century is this?????
Breaca
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
A good read so far. And in my books a good testament to a good read is wanting to read more. I'm also an avid fan of York City with its cobbled streets awash with history. A few things jumped out in terms of language - flashlight vs torch, sidewalk vs pavement, soda vs (for example) coke.

Hope to read more - whether on this site or in glorious hard/soft back!

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Breaca, I was wondering when you'd show up. Welcome to the finest and most ignored forum on the internet. Smile
mitty
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Yes, Welcome Breaca! To the Nut House! Its difficult to pinpoint just who the Head Nut is, but it will become apparent as time goes by! Laughing
chillywilly
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Welcome, Breaca.